Ezzie

Game not utilizing half my PC performance.

11 posts in this topic

I'm not a game developer so I can't be sure if this is a bug or if its called bad optimization, but I have 6GB VRAM and 16GB RAM, both of which stay at 50% and 30% usage respectively. CPU usage maxes out at 70%. Any way to solve this? 

Solve?
I dunno what setup you have but that sounds like a good optimization to me.
Your stuff (hardware) should NEVER run at 100% load. Then throttling and bottlenecks will start.
Think of it as your car, you dont want push the pedal to the metal just to make it go forward. You always want some jiggleroom and potential extra power to kick in when you reach those hard to calculate algorithms and/or rendering.
So, to me it sounds really good if you have those numbers while playing the game. Then you have a solid system that dont require to run at max and you have a futureproof setup.

2 people like this

Can you post your specs? Optimisation is still undergoing development, so it could easily be that. 

Are you experiencing FPS lag? 

Edited by Delta

13 minutes ago, hitem said:

Your stuff (hardware) should NEVER run at 100% load. Then throttling and bottlenecks will start.

Oh no, not again... the car analogy already didn't work the first time you brought it up to support your claim.

Yes, your graphic card should ideally run at 100%. If it doesn't, then chances are high that it doesn't receive enough data to process due to other limitations (CPU, drive, driver issues). 

Throttling is rather related to poor ventilation and overheating as result.

22 minutes ago, Lillymouche said:

Oh no, not again... the car analogy already didn't work the first time you brought it up to support your claim.

Yes, your graphic card should ideally run at 100%. If it doesn't, then chances are high that it doesn't receive enough data to process due to other limitations (CPU, drive, driver issues). 

Throttling is rather related to poor ventilation and overheating as result.

No, that is not true.
But i guess some people need an even more simpler explanation, you can even test this on your local machine:
Start MineSweaper in windows 10, put it on fullscreen and start play - Does your GPU go up to 100% ?
Another one?
Install flipper (free windows game), put it on fullcreen - rince repeat - 100%?
Finish solitary and let the cards fly (actually puts some heavy loads, but still even close to 100%)
Install minecraft - rince repeat

Your system should never show 100% load if you have enough power to run said application/game/rendering engine/whatever. Not the CPU, not the GPU, not HDD or memory.
The only time you should reach such numbers are if you include idle processes, if your hardware is old for the rendering/algorithm/software its running or if you are running something that is very poorly optimized that forces your hw to throttle.

Edited by hitem

It really depends on the game though @hitem. Games like Minesweeper ( dont know if it uses the gpu at all ) needs only to update the screen if an event happens ( like clicking on a field). But games which refresh the screen every loop always uses ideally 100% of the gpu, except you use vsync if fps is above ur sync rate. ( the drivers let the gpu sleep for a short time )

Edited by eddyvanleuten

12 minutes ago, eddyvanleuten said:

It really depends on the game though @hitem. Games like Minesweeper ( dont know if it uses the gpu at all ) needs only to update the screen if an event happens ( like clicking on a field). But games which refresh the screen every loop always uses 100% of the gpu, except you use vsync.  

exactly my point. (as i also mention other games that are doing this constantly).
we can even take some older 2d and 3d games that where released back in early 1990 or 2000 that should run on a cellphone today all the way up to the midranged games and still, your stuff shouldnt (assuming we are talking about a powerfull setup here) go up to 100% load. Thats not how the hardware is designed.
If we take the top of the line setup and the most heavy-loading games/applications/benchmarks we will ofc see 100% load. But now we are talking about optimization and finding that softspot. I argue, after 20 years fiddling with computers/hardware and working with infrastructure, that a highend machine running a well optimized piece of software/game should not go up to 100% load. There are even standards applied by almost all countries in the world to push down powerconsumtions and requirements to do so if you sell these hardware (clocking down on cpu is an example of that in idle). Its also used to keep the temperature down on your hardware, running 100% will cause alot of noise,unwanted heating and keeping it down for warranty and increasing lifespan is a part of it - even when u game (great example here is to check how overwatch have done it, it drops your fps from 300 to 60 as soon as you open a menu or go in between rounds where you select heroes - the load also drops to <50% when certain stages). Anyhow. Just because your gpu runs at 70% load when you are in a game dosent meen it cant easily use the 30% remaining without any windeup and/or delay. As a recent example i can use my 1070 OC card, it runs at 54%-65% in PUBG and i cap at 144 fps (my monitors hz).

Edited by hitem

5 hours ago, hitem said:

Start MineSweaper in windows 10, put it on fullscreen and start play - Does your GPU go up to 100% ?
Another one?
Install flipper (free windows game), put it on fullcreen - rince repeat - 100%?
Finish solitary and let the cards fly (actually puts some heavy loads, but still even close to 100%)

Are you really comparing 2D titles to the Unreal 4 engine? Oh my....I dont even..

1 person likes this

Just now, Tykjen said:

Are you really comparing 2D titles to the Unreal 4 engine? Oh my....I dont even..

No, read my whole post (we are compairing all games).
The person replying argued that GPU's will run at 100% if the game is optimized and good. The game will tell your GPU to run at 100%. I argue it wont. No matter the game (assuming we have a highend machine).

2D titles will never use 100% of GPU, and were never supposed to. And they shouldnt be compared to heavier 3D titles which on the other hand, really makes the GPU work. If I see my GPU working at 30% whenever I play a 3D title its certainly not optimized, IE, most early access titles. A fully released triple A 3D engine title of today gives me 140+ fps at 1440p, with the GPU basically always working near 90-100%. You are saying this is not optimized? I still dont even...

Edited by Tykjen

Im saying that if you have a highend top-of-the-line machine and you are playing a title that is well optimized, your machine will not go 100% load on your hardware (excluding idle and throttle, else you could argue that CPU is always 100%, even in idle with the asleep/wait functions) - it might however go 50-90% load.
And im also showing the ECD standards of hardware for warranty, heating and lifespan - and if your system still goes 100% load all the time when you play title X, then yes, title X is not optimized or your system is living on the edge.  And im also saying that if you run a benchmark or stresstest, your stuff will ofc run at 100% - but thats exactly why its called a stress test. No system is suppose to run at 100% load on HW (as its jiggles up and down, ie:65-90%, for warranty, heating and powerconsumption which is a EU-market-standard).

So, now we are walking in circles as ive already mention this above. If you dont agree, please provide some viable data and/or sources and i will read up on it.
And no, this is not something im just making up, i speak out of 25 years of benchmarks and experience with building highend gaming pc's along with being a gamernerd myself (testing a lot of game titles and always staying on top-of-the-line hw) - i will come back and edit this post once i extracted all my work from guru3d benchmarks to show what i mean.

1 person likes this