Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NutStompa

Sound direction still off?

28 posts in this topic

I hear gunshots from infront but it turns out its behind me... anyone else having this issue STILL

1 person likes this

This may be a problem with your Sound Card or a desktop issue. There aren't any settings in-game to change it to surround sound, unless I'm mistaken.

Hello Stompa, do you mind filling out the template so there is more information to work with.

Are you sure you aren't hearing the crack of the bullet and not the gun itself? It can be quite disorientating.

2 people like this

No matter what soundcard you have or what kind of headset. The sounds are way off...

Counterstrike has little options as well, but the sounds of steps and more are super accurate. So no its not ur settings... this game doesnt have that sound accuracy yet.

4 hours ago, cxod said:

No matter what soundcard you have or what kind of headset. The sounds are way off...

Counterstrike has little options as well, but the sounds of steps and more are super accurate. So no its not ur settings... this game doesnt have that sound accuracy yet.

i disagree. i would argue battlegrounds has the more accurate sounds. when footsteps are near me, i can tell exactly where they are, they are footsteps. a sniper crack from over the next hill will echo and you'll be hit before you can hear the shot, in real life anyway, not sure if that's the case here. counter-strike is very close quarters and it is generally one of two places when you hear a sound nearby. and theres like 3 sounds in that game xD footsteps, reloads and gunfire i mean pretty much. try playing a vertical map in cs like nuke and try to guess if someone is above you or below you, for example (on stereo headphones which 90% of people use i mean).

not to mention, have you ever heard a real gun shot at a distance in real life? its like spot on in this game.

now, dont forget, with stereo speakers like your headphones, i am guessing, only have left and right channel. it is distinctively more difficult to map the sound in-game from front to back than it is side to side. usually sounds in front will be louder than sounds behind and heard equally in each ear since you only have two speakers.

keep playing and you'll pick up on a few things. you'll start noticing muzzle flares. learn the map. you can turn left or right to hear which side the sound comes from, there are lots of things you can do.

2 people like this

yeah they need to tweak the 3-D sound a bit....

Sounds seem okay to me, I get a good idea where a enemy player is running or shooting from

Posted (edited)

Yeah certain sounds seem ahead of you when they are actually behind you. I don't know if it is supposed to be like this because sound is sometimes weird even in real life. I know that if a sound is omitted directly above you, you wont be able to tell its direction.

Edited by Yuvalino

listen for the pop from the gun after the crack/whizz from the bullet. depending on range it'll be around 1-2s after

1 person likes this

Sound code bad...

1 person likes this

It's difficult when one shot is fired but if there's a gunfight it's easy to tell where the sound is coming from. Initially it might sound like it's coming from in front of you but if you move your camera it will become obvious, even if the difference is subtle.

Again - it relies upon multiple shots being fired. I think that's fair. If somebody is carefully placing their shots it shouldn't be instantly obvious to the whole map where they are and it wouldn't be obvious in real life either.

IMO, there is no problem with the sound. Maybe my audio is just better? I'm running game sounds through a hifi amp with a DAC.

1 person likes this

sound sucks in this game atm. ppl that say sound is fine dont know what good sound is.

18 hours ago, impulse 101 said:

i disagree. i would argue battlegrounds has the more accurate sounds. when footsteps are near me, i can tell exactly where they are, they are footsteps. a sniper crack from over the next hill will echo and you'll be hit before you can hear the shot, in real life anyway, not sure if that's the case here. counter-strike is very close quarters and it is generally one of two places when you hear a sound nearby. and theres like 3 sounds in that game xD footsteps, reloads and gunfire i mean pretty much. try playing a vertical map in cs like nuke and try to guess if someone is above you or below you, for example (on stereo headphones which 90% of people use i mean).

not to mention, have you ever heard a real gun shot at a distance in real life? its like spot on in this game.

now, dont forget, with stereo speakers like your headphones, i am guessing, only have left and right channel. it is distinctively more difficult to map the sound in-game from front to back than it is side to side. usually sounds in front will be louder than sounds behind and heard equally in each ear since you only have two speakers.

keep playing and you'll pick up on a few things. you'll start noticing muzzle flares. learn the map. you can turn left or right to hear which side the sound comes from, there are lots of things you can do.

I've been playing cs since 1.3... There has never been a time where I havent known on any map, where the sound comes from. Then again its personal as well.
Cs is CBQ. Yes its true, but when you have been doing 10-20k kills on a single map, theres a lot you learn from just noise patterns.

But in this game, you can hear someone infront of you and he can be infront on the right or left and you will never know which side it is behind a counter or a side wall. Its just a fact and I have had 5-6 people saying the same time. The close combat quarters is really bad coded.

When it comes to distance openfield sound/noises.. thats a nother story. But it doesnt make up for when you walk in a house and it sounds the same as you walk standing or prone, same amount of sound. If the plane cargo drop comes near you, all you hear is that. When you hear a shots coming form two places you cant position where its from due to the sounds mix together and becomes a big cluster fuck like your shot from everywhere.
When it comes to my headphones I can use virtual 5.1/stereo, dual stereo and more. Equilizer options work as well plus studio monitors are my second options as speakers. In any other game I can tell exactly where im shot from, here I can only hear partly where im from.

Ohh and supressed weapons are fucking OP.

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, cxod said:

Ohh and supressed weapons are fucking OP.

that is exactly how you know sound in this game is so good!!

Edited by impulse 101
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, cxod said:

When it comes to distance openfield sound/noises.. that's another story. But it doesn't make up for when you walk in a house and it sounds the same as you walk standing or prone, same amount of sound. If the plane cargo drop comes near you, all you hear is that. When you hear a shots coming form two places you cant position where its from due to the sounds mix together and becomes a big cluster fuck like your shot from everywhere.
When it comes to my headphones I can use virtual 5.1/stereo, dual stereo and more. Equalizer options work as well plus studio monitors are my second options as speakers. In any other game I can tell exactly where I'm shot from, here I can only hear partly where I'm from.

This is my biggest issue with the sound. Sometimes you'll get shot at and the whine of the bullet or the ricochet sound will drown out the sound of the shot and you'll have no idea where it came from. It still needs some tuning to get it into a good spot. I spend all kinds of time nowadays trying to figure out how to tune my sound so that I can hear everything reliably, and I've ended up just going with the loudness equalization option from my onboard sound so that I don't lose some sounds in favor of others.

There's still the issue of hearing somebody walking in another building and it sounds like they're in the same building as you. The sound has gotten better but there's still some kinks to work out.

My only issue with the sound so far.. is that it is too easy to hear someone walking in the next building along.. and makes you think that there could be someone in yours.

Other then that its just a case of working out the difference between  a bullet hitting and a bullet being shot to work out where shots are coming from  

1 person likes this

I have very few problems with the sound at all. I can identify direction easily enough and tell if someone is walking, crouching or crawling. My friends report the same.

The only issue I have with sound is that the sound of moving in buildings travels too far.

On 5/19/2017 at 5:56 PM, NutStompa said:

I hear gunshots from infront but it turns out its behind me... anyone else having this issue STILL

Sound is WAY off in terms of above and below. You can be in a building and no matter where they are, they almost ALWAYS sound like they are right above you

1 person likes this

I find that sounds are the one thing that's consistent in this game . I can always tell where a distant or close shot / footstep is due to the directional sound !

It is amazing how many people think the gun sounds are glitched/broken because they do not know how bullets actually sound . . .

Whizz is the bullet flying by you. The pop is the actual muzzle location. How many seconds between the whizz and pop gives you an idea of how far the shot is coming from. :)

Is your earphone's L mark where you left ear is?  Have you tried listen to a 3D sound demo, did it work?

Yes , sounds are still just random for me. In houses the sounds are pretty good directionally. Outside I have had people run up on me without any sounds at all. Getting shot at is another story. At greater distances it seems to be easier to determine the direction , but the closer the shot is the less directional it is.

Sounds are pretty damn accurate IMO. I can easily locate direction of shooter based on initial shot. If it's the crack of the shot whizzing by, that's when it gets rough. But if it's just shots, easy.