Sign in to follow this  
Daco

Scopes Zeroed at less than 100m?

Phyne    61
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Doc_Ebs said:

Here is a non MS Paint picture of how scopes and rifles work. Just be thankful we don't have to worry about wind speed, bullet drift (drifting caused by spinning of the bullet), coriolis effect (spin of the earth), and curvature of the earth.

sketch.jpg

I very much understand that bullets travel in an arc. The issue in question here is how the bullet behaves between 0-100m. In the picture above, I believe a 100m zero would basically fall somewhere between the target line and the top of the arc, meaning that bullet will only ever hit low, or on target from 0-100m.

To be fair, I actually did use the curved line tool for the bullet trajectory in my ms paint drawing. I just didn't show the rest of the arc after 100m.

To dispel rumor, I can do a few solos and test bullet trajectory if anyone wishes?

Edited by Phyne

CDNMaple    28

I am very familiar with bullet ark and zeroing a scope. I am ex-military and a marksman.  I will use the C7/M16 against the M416/AKM/Scar-L in the game. The C7 would would be calibrated at 50m and then you would adjust your scope to each Mound you fall back to shooting from or adjust the pitch of your C7. 

The zeroing options in my opinion should be 50m 100m 200m 300m etc...  Having it default at 100m is not gaming breaking but for people getting into this game coming from other games can find this very irritating and frustrating.

A friend of mine stopped playing as this feature put him over the edge to quit.  Hes not one to take lightly to the lag and optimization but when someone like him has to deal with that and then the scopes not being zeroed at 50m can make it the last straw and quit like he did. Lucky I found great players that play with regularly so I'm not lonely but it's not the same not having your battle buddy with you.

The game has a high learning curve and I feel for those just getting in the game. Most of us have adjusted to the 100m zeroing but I think having a 50m default option can close the gab a bit for new players.   I am one for not being casual in games so I hope this is just seen as being able to adjust your scope -50m meters.

ashkickr    23
On 29.5.2017 at 9:22 PM, Phyne said:

They don't. Did you see my picture?

I have a lot of time in this game, and I've never had to aim below my intended target at 0-100m to land my bullets.

saw your picture, understood, however the bullets do go over the head with ACOG 4x or 8x if you aim for the people closer than 100m. experiencing this daily basis. the effect is ofc even more worse, if the guy is down/uphill

Phyne    61
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ashkickr said:

saw your picture, understood, however the bullets do go over the head with ACOG 4x or 8x if you aim for the people closer than 100m. experiencing this daily basis. the effect is ofc even more worse, if the guy is down/uphill

The sight you use doesn't matter. A 100m zero is a 100m zero. Which gun would you say you've had this happen with?

Edited by Phyne

Phyne    61
On 5/29/2017 at 7:37 AM, CDNMaple said:

They've complained the scopes made no sense as you shoot someone at 30-50m in the head the bullet goes 2 feet over there head,  It's been a learning curve for myself transitioning from other games that have bullet travel and drop mechanics.

On 5/29/2017 at 7:41 AM, RoKa said:

I think we should all just try and adjust at this feature.

On 5/29/2017 at 9:07 AM, Doc_Ebs said:

You want something set at 50m use a holo sight or a red dot. 100m is fine for optics. Just aim lower or use the shouldered but not ads mode (hold right mouse)

On 5/29/2017 at 2:09 PM, Spen said:

But i don't like that shots between 0 - 100 m are going actually higher than what i see. Maybe this is realistic but at this point i don't care. It would feel much better if between 0 - 100 i hit exactly what i see in my sight.

On 5/30/2017 at 0:59 PM, W O L V E S said:

Sadly for me bullets DO go over target MANY times in short range. 

On 5/30/2017 at 7:30 PM, CDNMaple said:

A friend of mine stopped playing as this feature put him over the edge to quit.  Hes not one to take lightly to the lag and optimization but when someone like him has to deal with that and then the scopes not being zeroed at 50m can make it the last straw and quit like he did.

16 hours ago, ashkickr said:

My goodness, what game are you all playing? I seriously can not believe the misinformation from you guys. It would take you literally 5 minutes to test and see for yourself in-game that this is simply not true. Here, I made this for you:

• Like 2

Aiiiiiiiii    87
8 minutes ago, Phyne said:

My goodness, what game are you all playing? I seriously can not believe the misinformation from you guys. It would take you literally 5 minutes to test and see for yourself in-game that this is simply not true. Here, I made this for you:

Best way to deal with disappointment is to blame it on something else ;)

I've never had any issues with 4x or 8x under 100meters. Ofc there's been those wtf moment misses, but I might've just forgotten to zero back to 100m or latency worked it's magic.

Game has no lens magic and I doubt there's any super complex calculations going on. I'm sure the 7.62/5.56's are modeled pretty spot on compared to real life since they don't noticeably go over the line of sight at distances under 100meters with 100m zeroing. In real life with 100m zeroing you would maybe hit the eyelid instead of the eyeball somewhere between 50 and 100 meters. Before 50meters you're hitting slightly under. That's it. No rocket science :) This is a game so it might be even more simplified than that. Programming errors do happen and bullet trajectory might not start at the muzzle, but personally I have not seen any evidence of that.

Spen    114
12 hours ago, Phyne said:

Nice Video!

In my defense i did only read about this in the forum and just didn't question it. I never tried it out in game since i didn't felt the need to and because i don't want to waste rounds with shooting just for test purposes. 

ashkickr    23

my shots were with AKM iirc and 4x scope but it might be some bug causing that

Doc_Ebs    14
On 5/31/2017 at 7:40 PM, Phyne said:

Why did I get quoted for misinformation? You pretty much proved my point that you won't be shooting over the heads at less than 100. Also you quoted me saying if you want something zeroed at less than 100 use a red dot. Pretty sure they default to 100.

Phyne    61
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Doc_Ebs said:

Why did I get quoted for misinformation? You pretty much proved my point that you won't be shooting over the heads at less than 100. Also you quoted me saying if you want something zeroed at less than 100 use a red dot. Pretty sure they default to 100.

You said to "just aim lower" with the optics. Why? That sounds like misinformation to me. You don't have to aim lower because bullets don't land high! (in this particular situation) Or are you saying to aim lower with the red dot when it's zeroed at 50m when a target is at 100m?

Edited by Phyne

Doc_Ebs    14
9 hours ago, Phyne said:

You said to "just aim lower" with the optics. Why? That sounds like misinformation to me. You don't have to aim lower because bullets don't land high! (in this particular situation) Or are you saying to aim lower with the red dot when it's zeroed at 50m when a target is at 100m?

I don't know if you can actually zero a red dot lower than 100 never needed to. I was saying aim lower to the people that claim shooting at less than 100m that way the muzzle rise will walk them up to where they need to be shooting. Kinda a Kentucky windage thing. I am in your boat never had an issue hitting someone less than 100m with a scope. Have more issues with chunking someone with a O/U and getting 18 points of damage but they are still shooting somehow.

CDNMaple    28
Posted (edited)

So as it seemed that there is no issue with the aiming at the distances shown by the moderator videos but I was still having this problem that my shots were going over the heads of people if I shot them in the upper chest/head at 50m/75m+

So what did I do? Well it came to me that maybe the update patch that fixed the scopes did not patch properly or my game was bugged. I did a complete wipe of the game in all directories on my system and did a clean install and re-did all my settings.  I jumped into a game and a game after that followed by a solo winner chicken dinner because my shots were not landing and got several kills.

So I'm calling this a bug and not knowing how to shoot properly. Problem fixed.

Edited by CDNMaple

VicTheWeed    12

Something I have been thinking about lately is why we can't turn the zeroing on scoped below 100m. When fighting in medium range with snipers or rifles with high powered scopes like a 4x or 8x it makes it really hard to estimate where your bullets are going to land. I'm sure everyone who's played a good amount of PUBG has experienced it before where you aim at someone's head who's at 50m or something along those lines, aim dead center of his head and the bullet goes over.

I think we should be able to zero down to 0m.

Ky-Zo    33
25 minutes ago, VicTheWeed said:

Something I have been thinking about lately is why we can't turn the zeroing on scoped below 100m. When fighting in medium range with snipers or rifles with high powered scopes like a 4x or 8x it makes it really hard to estimate where your bullets are going to land. I'm sure everyone who's played a good amount of PUBG has experienced it before where you aim at someone's head who's at 50m or something along those lines, aim dead center of his head and the bullet goes over.

If someone is less than 100m from you I have no idea why you just wouldn't use an AR, it's better in every way.

8 hours ago, VicTheWeed said:

This is something that isn't being considered. Just compensate for players who are less than 100m by targeting the reticule lower.

VicTheWeed    12
2 hours ago, Suspicious Pixel said:

This is something that isn't being considered. Just compensate for players who are less than 100m by targeting the reticule lower.

Why is it not being considered? I don't understand the point of making medium range encounters counter-intuitive...