Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Daco

Scopes Zeroed at less than 100m?

Recommended Posts

Daco    0

I'm sure this has been suggested already but it would be nice to be able to change the zeroing all the way down to 0m as it is a real pain to constantly have to aim at their body to get a headshot at close range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noob Cannon    26
Posted (edited)

Here: I made this for you.

Zeroing a gun at 0m is a silly notion and not really plausible/possible. The only way to zero a gun at '0' meters is to ensure that your scope is looking directly at the space right outside your gun's barrel; I thought I would humor the post and make an illustration anyhows. Imagine the top one is a gun zeroed at 50m and the bottom one is zeroed at 0m.

 

Edited by Noob Cannon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Full Tang    8

Speaking from personal experience, an AR-15 shooting 5.56mm should be zeroed at 50m. This allows for the round to be perfectly on target at 50m and 150m. It will be slightly high at 100m (about half an inch), and an inch low at 200m. Closer than 50m you will have to aim higher the closer you are to the target, (up to 2 inches or so) but that happens will all zeroing ranges due to the offset of the sights with the barrel. Sighting a gun in like this allows for the round to be near perfectly on target out to 200m and then the round drops off after that. That being said, I don't expect the game designers to code that level of external ballistics, gun sighting, and scope to barrel offset in this game. It is a game after all and they have bigger fish to fry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dreadnogh    0

Like Noob Cannon said, it would make no sense to zero at 0m, your shots at 100m would be WAY off.

Normally at a shooting range you would zero to 100m, so i actually like the realism of not being able to zero at 0m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daco    0

Yep I know how gun zeroing works but for simplicity sake I just said 0. I'm sure you guys are smart enough to realise what I actually meant.

Just being able to zero it down lower then 100m would be nice as a lot of fighting does happen at closer then 100m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jbwrecked    148

I'm sure they can add it. I'd never use it though so personally, it'd be useless to me. Might help others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noob Cannon    26
22 hours ago, Daco said:

Yep I know how gun zeroing works but for simplicity sake I just said 0. I'm sure you guys are smart enough to realise what I actually meant.

Just being able to zero it down lower then 100m would be nice as a lot of fighting does happen at closer then 100m

It does not appear that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoKa    26

So basically you want the gun to shoot straight down, lmao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CDNMaple    21

I'd like to think I am not the only one having issues with the scopes zeroed at 100m?
 

Can we have them zeroed at (default) 50m? I've played for a little over a month now and I have gotten a few friends to buy the game to play with with me. They've complained the scopes made no sense as you shoot someone at 30-50m in the head the bullet goes 2 feet over there head,  It's been a learning curve for myself transitioning from other games that have bullet travel and drop mechanics.

Does anyone else have issues with the scopes being zeroed at 100m?   It's not that I can't learn it but when the gun play time in a match can only be 5 minutes or getting 5-10 kills in a around compared to playing a game with the scopes zeroed in at 50m and getting many kills is hard to transition 50m to 100m.

The best way to describe learning curving is switching from normal to inverted on the mouse.

Besides my selfishness, any thoughts on this?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoKa    26

I think we should all just try and adjust at this feature.

4x scope on the other hand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doc_Ebs    14

You want something set at 50m use a holo sight or a red dot. 100m is fine for optics. Just aim lower or use the shouldered but not ads mode (hold right mouse)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phyne    59

Bullets will not go above a targets head if the zero is at 100m.

roD0dio.png

Only at longer zeroing does the bullet travel above the target before eventually falling to the reticle.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aiiiiiiiii    87
10 minutes ago, Phyne said:

Bullets will not go above a targets head if the zero is at 100m.

roD0dio.png

Only at longer zeroing does the bullet travel above the target before eventually falling to the reticle.

Nice ms paint skillz dude! :) Love it :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aiiiiiiiii    87
Posted (edited)

That said the rifle bullet trajectory, at least in real life, does go over the line of sight. But only a fraction of an inch so there's no need to adjust for anything under 100meters. At least for targets the size of what we're shooting at in the game :)

Edited by Aiiiiiiiii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spen    107

Zeroing under 100 m seems to complicated. I don't care about zeroing anyway i instead just aim higher.

But i don't like that shots between 0 - 100 m are going actually higher than what i see. Maybe this is realistic but at this point i don't care. It would feel much better if between 0 - 100 i hit exactly what i see in my sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
impulse 101    29
1 hour ago, Phyne said:

Bullets will not go above a targets head if the zero is at 100m.

<picture>

Only at longer zeroing does the bullet travel above the target before eventually falling to the reticle.

That blew my mind. Seeing it drawn out helps. Hopefully that's how it works in game.

The crossbow sight is a mystery to me, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phyne    59
11 minutes ago, Spen said:

Zeroing under 100 m seems to complicated. I don't care about zeroing anyway i instead just aim higher.

But i don't like that shots between 0 - 100 m are going actually higher than what i see. Maybe this is realistic but at this point i don't care. It would feel much better if between 0 - 100 i hit exactly what i see in my sight.

They don't. Did you see my picture?

I have a lot of time in this game, and I've never had to aim below my intended target at 0-100m to land my bullets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spen    107
10 minutes ago, Phyne said:

They don't. Did you see my picture?

I have a lot of time in this game, and I've never had to aim below my intended target at 0-100m to land my bullets.

Oh okay, i didn't test this for my self, just heard this multiple times here on the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aiiiiiiiii    87
12 minutes ago, Phyne said:

They don't. Did you see my picture?

I have a lot of time in this game, and I've never had to aim below my intended target at 0-100m to land my bullets.

Maybe he's trying to 4x/8x scope with an UMP or some other gun with low kinetic energy.. Who knows :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiM Stevo    0
Posted (edited)

A bullet doesn't travel in a straight line, it travels in an arch in real life... so yes it would intersect and go higher than the cross-hair at some distances. The distance that occurs is dependent on the round and bullet velocity, barrel length, gravity and air resistance.

It would be nice to see the zeroing distance be re-configured to allow for 25-500m zeroing instead of defaulting 100m. It doesn't matter about the default, but there isn't an option to lower as far as I know.

Edited by iiM Stevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Equatis    0
9 hours ago, Aiiiiiiiii said:

That said the rifle bullet trajectory, at least in real life, does go over the line of sight. But only a fraction of an inch so there's no need to adjust for anything under 100meters. At least for targets the size of what we're shooting at in the game :)

It's true. For the few of us that remember basic training, firing at shooting ranges where targets were down hill was a nightmare on our marksmanship scores :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aiiiiiiiii    87
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Equatis said:

It's true. For the few of us that remember basic training, firing at shooting ranges where targets were down hill was a nightmare on our marksmanship scores :)

Oh man.. don't talk about the army. I miss commanding and targeting for a 5x 130mm heavy coastal artillery battery with a laser rangefinder so much. Those 40km direct hits, the sound of shells in the air and synchronized shots.. bwaaaaaaah. Bitter sweet. I'd love to do it again and make them guns sing, but that would mean the world has gone to poop :P

Edited by Aiiiiiiiii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Equatis    0
9 minutes ago, Aiiiiiiiii said:

Oh man.. don't talk about the army. I miss commanding and targeting for a 5x 130mm heavy coastal artillery battery with a laser rangefinder so much. Those 40km direct hits, the sound of shells in the air and synchronized shots.. bwaaaaaaah. Bitter sweet. I'd love to do it again and make them guns sing, but that would mean the world has gone to poop :P

Sounds very exciting! Unfortunately I can't relate to heavy weapons as I was a medic (and now a nurse). Thank you for your service good sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doc_Ebs    14

Here is a non MS Paint picture of how scopes and rifles work. Just be thankful we don't have to worry about wind speed, bullet drift (drifting caused by spinning of the bullet), coriolis effect (spin of the earth), and curvature of the earth.

sketch.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×