coffeman

lack of cover endgame

xTekx    119
12 hours ago, Greaves said:

Exactly, it adds a layer of strategy to the game. There would have to be enough locations for it to be hard to guess which one it will be in the end, but if you want to get there early, be my guest. It's not like people don't already drive to the middle of the circle now and set up shop in a house.

True, people do drive to the center of circles now. But, going to center doesn't mean you'll still be in the center. They will most likely have to move eventually. Having predetermined end points will just have people going to those spots and hoping the game chooses that spot. It's still a random choice, but within a set number of predetermined spots... not a random spot anywhere within the existing circle. I'm not for this.

I am of the opinion the end circles need to stay completely random to force decisions. Sometimes that decision is die to the BZ or hope you don't get shot crossing that field.

• Like 3

Farnsworth83    14

Won a game yesterday by hiding in a house, that was in the center of the circle. No one bothered me, they all killed each other and I walked just in time to shotgun the last guy in the back with my S1897. 1 kill and I won the game. There's many ways to play this game.

Yeah, they definitely need more cover across the map.  Knowing someone has perfect cover and you have to cross a 100 meter open field.....just sucks.  At that point you didn't get out skilled, you got selected by the RNG circle to lose....lol

• Like 1

Stress    101
28 minutes ago, InfectionPromoter said:

Yeah, they definitely need more cover across the map.  Knowing someone has perfect cover and you have to cross a 100 meter open field.....just sucks.  At that point you didn't get out skilled, you got selected by the RNG circle to lose....lol

I just lost a squad game, we had to cross a road and a river to get to the next circle which was on a hill top, just east of georgopol. It was a tactical decision that we decided to stay in the house for the previous 2 circles, even though we knew for a fact that if the circle ended on the other side of the river we would be dead. And so we did, died that is, because we decided to stay put. The circle was fine, we just made a bad choice and payed for it, if we had crossed the river 2 minutes earlier we would have been in cover behind a cluster of rocks and trees and would possibly have won the game, or atleast we would have a chance. Strategic positioning is a skill too, there are serveral common circle locations that can royally fuck someone based on RNG, but it is very often because people dont recognize that its time to dip and set up shop somewhere else. But yes there is absoltely serveral areas that could use a lot more cover scattered around the area, i dont mind losing because i make mistakes, but i hate losing when its clearly more or less RNG based

chocoTaco    7

I always try to have a vehicle with me toward the end of the game. Regardless of the circle, you can always use one for cover. Just be careful not to be next to it when it blows up O.o

Hashmon    9
On 6/29/2017 at 5:53 AM, Greaves said:

Filling the whole goddamn playing field with rocks and trees is not going to be a thing. However they could make the end circle less random. If they mark a whole bunch of key locations on the map where the circle could end up, they could add a bunch of cover to those locations (unless it already has a bunch, like the cities).

I'm in big favor of this. There should be some type of strategic end game locations, perhaps even towns themselves. The fact that grass can't give you any cover at distance makes going form tree/rock to tree/rock a simple game of who sees who first, with no way to counter. I'd be one thing if you could setup in the grass, but then snipers can see you from across the map.

There's got to be a way to fix the question of non-rendering grass. The fact you can see people better 1000 meters away than you can literally 10 feet from you severely makes the end game all about shooting people in the back like a dog when you're simply trying to not get chunked by the stupid blue circle because you gotta run half way across the map to just not die. Solo needs a MASSIVE TONNAGE of thought and improvement. Perhaps, even solo modes geared towards specific solo play (camping-boring vs aggressive-strategic.)

Hashmon    9
Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2017 at 1:43 PM, xTekx said:

True, people do drive to the center of circles now. But, going to center doesn't mean you'll still be in the center. They will most likely have to move eventually. Having predetermined end points will just have people going to those spots and hoping the game chooses that spot. It's still a random choice, but within a set number of predetermined spots... not a random spot anywhere within the existing circle. I'm not for this.

I am of the opinion the end circles need to stay completely random to force decisions. Sometimes that decision is die to the BZ or hope you don't get shot crossing that field.

I don't get this infatuation with randomness like it's a god or something, these circles aren't even totally random. Literally nothing would change if you made each town a possible end game location, since there are nearly 50+ townships/building areas on the map.

The frustration is with the fact that if this game is all about 3rd person peaking everything from around cover, and you can't see anything and have no cover, some guy just coming out and poping you because he got lucky enough to place near cover before you did. Add in the lag, add in nothing to counter this behavior, add in no visible grass from distance. 

Summary: it's easy to get in the top 10 with this game. Drop near a car, go to a distance town, gear up, drive to the middle of the circle to a building / cabin, 3rd person camp, peak everyone that runs by, 3 tap them, spot possible snipers cause no grass 500 meters away, run to the car real quick, drive to the new center of circle, camping, 3rd person peak, done. Then pray and hope you can get a wheat field so you can finally get more cover, and just 3rd person peak someone crawling in the grass before they see you doing the same thing. Rinse, repeat. Not really that fun.

Let's see some real development going here, let's see some real innovation and let's take this UE4 engine and this big world concept to the hilt with some fun game play and not camping, random, 3rd person peaking laggy repetitiveness that pervades the current game play model.

Don't mean to sound like I'm going after you in particular, just trying to explain what a lot of players are also thinking atm.

Edited by Hashmon

Stalmard    10
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, Stress said:

I just lost a squad game, we had to cross a road and a river to get to the next circle which was on a hill top, just east of georgopol. It was a tactical decision that we decided to stay in the house for the previous 2 circles, even though we knew for a fact that if the circle ended on the other side of the river we would be dead. And so we did, died that is, because we decided to stay put. The circle was fine, we just made a bad choice and payed for it, if we had crossed the river 2 minutes earlier we would have been in cover behind a cluster of rocks and trees and would possibly have won the game, or atleast we would have a chance. Strategic positioning is a skill too, there are serveral common circle locations that can royally fuck someone based on RNG, but it is very often because people dont recognize that its time to dip and set up shop somewhere else. But yes there is absoltely serveral areas that could use a lot more cover scattered around the area, i dont mind losing because i make mistakes, but i hate losing when its clearly more or less RNG based

Stress gets it.  Your decision is the cause of your death.  Quit blaming the game for your bad choices and take ownership of them.  Pay attention to what the circle is doing at ALL times and pay attention.  The game should never make it EASY for you just because you don't want to think about the consequences of your decisions.

• Like 1

ShatterNL    93
On 6/30/2017 at 7:30 AM, Greaves said:

Exactly, it adds a layer of strategy to the game. There would have to be enough locations for it to be hard to guess which one it will be in the end, but if you want to get there early, be my guest. It's not like people don't already drive to the middle of the circle now and set up shop in a house.

And that's what they changed in the last patch, the Circle should now favor spawning near edges of the current Circle to combat people just camping in the middle of the Circle.

Madzai    26
12 hours ago, ShatterNL said:

And that's what they changed in the last patch, the Circle should now favor spawning near edges of the current Circle to combat people just camping in the middle of the Circle.

If you think about logically, being in center of previous circle is still the best in the terms of distance you possibly need to cover to the next one. Sure, you can enter the white circle in last second and hit the jackpot with the new one, but what are the chances? 

Ofc, it works mostly with later circles, but still, earlier circles or even initial ones are now working in a way that car is highly recommended no matter what.

Munkyf    1

Had to put this video in here. Forgive me if already posted, but the Monty Python sketch " how not to be seen " is surely an inspiration for pubg

• Like 1

ShatterNL    93
5 hours ago, Madzai said:

If you think about logically, being in center of previous circle is still the best in the terms of distance you possibly need to cover to the next one. Sure, you can enter the white circle in last second and hit the jackpot with the new one, but what are the chances? 

Ofc, it works mostly with later circles, but still, earlier circles or even initial ones are now working in a way that car is highly recommended no matter what.

True, but in PUBG it's always about making choices, do I loot on, do I camp and wait to kill a player, do I hunt a player for loot. Same with Circle positioning: Do I hug the Circle, do I go center, do I pick a car, do I run etc. :P 

Madzai    26
3 hours ago, Faust723 said:

I'd say less "recommended" and more "mandatory for survival".

I keep saying that for quite some time. But the answers are mostly "git gut" or "play tactical". As if i'm already not play as tactical as i could, because it seems i'm too old to improve my aim...

ranzor    3

On 29/06/2017 at 4:15 AM, radjenovic said:

Depends, I had a match where the very last circle covered 5-6 small buildings in Yasna Polyana (or however its fecking spelled) 4 people still alive, we stood there for a good few minutes no one moving till I decided to an hero and got killed.

The last few circles do tend to end up in wide open spaces, but it is luck in some instances but also placement, and knowning the map if you can see roughly where the circle is going and decide the best place to preempt its move. 

Why even bother making up a story like this? The very last circle is too small to possibly cover 5-6 buildings.  

While I do agree that some of the ending spots involve very little to no cover I don't want to see them just adding more trees and rocks around the map. 

I think limiting the areas the last few circles end and adding more time to the last few circles giving players more of a chance to fight their way out of the situation rather then just b lining it to the next zone would go a long way.  

radjenovic    107
5 hours ago, ranzor said:

Why even bother making up a story like this? The very last circle is too small to possibly cover 5-6 buildings.  

because they are one room buildings that were very small (shops I believe)  I assume it was the last circle as there was no longer a timer between the blue and white circle. 

polovna.png

Stress    101
18 hours ago, Faust723 said:

I'd say less "recommended" and more "mandatory for survival".

20170709043648_1.jpg

I'd say that standing on the far edge of that large a circle on purpose is a huge gamble. But sure, everyone gets bad circles, yesterday in squads we killed 2 other squads and looted the entire millitairy base, we found no vehicles and a small amount of meds, and we had to run all the way to severny. We all died near the bridge lol

arcticnerd    9
On 6/29/2017 at 2:43 AM, coffeman said:

I think the lack of cover end game is a serious disadvantage especially when all it comes down to is LUCK.  if you have a nice rock or tree and the circle favours you hen happy days you win as all the unlucky people have to run over that open field to be shot from all angles.  what I am saying is we need more rocks bushes and trees.

I disagree. Play more games. Not all of them end in an open field and games that end with lots of cover can be just as problematic. Yes, it's random but that's what makes the game interesting. You need to use good tactics and strategy to minimize the random chance.   

On 7/3/2017 at 7:19 PM, InfectionPromoter said:

Which is why there are things like smoke grenades and stun grenades. A 100 metre run is basically nothing in this game.

On 7/10/2017 at 7:15 AM, radjenovic said:

because they are one room buildings that were very small (shops I believe)  I assume it was the last circle as there was no longer a timer between the blue and white circle. 

polovna.png

The "last circle" is barely bigger than a single room. It certainly won't cover 5 or 6 buildings.

radjenovic    107
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SirTrollington said:

The "last circle" is barely bigger than a single room. It certainly won't cover 5 or 6 buildings.

Source for final circle size as only figures I could find are from april https://youtu.be/79Vi5kdr8dU uploaded 11/07/17, circle timer is not moving like the situation i was in. To be clear I am aware that after a certain amount of time the circle closes up to nothing, I refer to the last circle as the last one you can move in, if you mean when the circle closes after a time period I agree that is not big enough to move in. (measurements are in pixels on 2560*1440)

circle 2.png

Edited by radjenovic

rubberducks    8

Main problem with lack of cover end-game is that a lot of grass, wheat or vegetation in general doesn't render at all if you're at the wrong / right angle or above a certain distance.

It doesn't necessarily need to, but the game should be checking whether someone prone in vegetation should be rendered (or to what extent) or not.

Also, the circle will often keep one set of buildings in it, and nothing else, thereby totally screwing everyone but campers.