Sign in to follow this  
authenticsim

Terrible player looking for specific help, not just general advice

So a lot of the people that post here or on reddit ask the same sort of things if they're not very good at the game. What is the best weapon? How do you configure your computer? Where should I land? All that advice is great but after playing this game for 80 hours I know that kind of stuff that most beginners might not. What I can't do is actually win the game. I know how to get to the final 10 once every 5-10 games, I just have a lot of problems that I recognize but can't actually figure out how to solve. To me the best way to solve a problem would be to go through repetition until I can figure it out, but either that's not working or the situations in this game are unique enough that every battle confuses me in a different way. Also before you ask, my headphones are fine, I have a great computer with a 1070 graphics card and have no issue with the game running poorly. It's me with my lack of experience in FPS games that needs to be fixed. So here are a few things I'm thinking of that I get stuck on and don't know the answer to:

For the most basic and most common, I'm in a field running, on a hill, or something similar and get shot at reducing my health. How can I figure out very easily where I got shot at and use my reflexes to find him, acquire my target, and kill him if I have no cover and going prone or running will kill me? I see streamers figure this out all the time so it's not an impossible task, and my headphones are fine. Again, I don't want hardware related answers since that isn't an issue.

I'm in a 2 story house on the second floor looting, or pausing to listen to who's around when a car drives up and someone jumps out. We both see each other and now I need to kill him before he kills me. What's the best way to win this fight? Maybe I have a shotgun, maybe I don't, though I'd assume my only weapons aren't a pistol or Kar98. What happens in the opposite situation? I drive up to a town, get out, and now I'm the one outside? If I drive away he shoots me and I die so I have to engage.

Similarly, I'm going from house to house either in a city like Rozhok or maybe just in more rural area like SW of Pochinki. I have no idea if anyone is in any of these houses since I have seen no sign of anyone, but I have to keep looting since I don't have the stuff to win the end game (maybe I have an AR, but only 60 ammo, or have 0 health items). How do I balance between wasting time crouch running between locations, looking around the houses to see who's in there, and making sure I get the jump on my opponent and not the other way around. I always feel crunched for time, since I want to make sure I'm reasonably equipped, but this is especially a problem in games where you just get house after house with nothing but pistols, attachments, and the one reasonable weapon you happened to get.

We're at the final circles with 25 people or less and I have to come out of my hiding spot (maybe a house, maybe just circling around on a hill) and get to the safe zone. I know there are people around and can't figure out exactly where. If I wait until the last second to run the circle will get me. If I run too early I will get shot? When should I run, assuming I can boost to 100%? And I mean exactly how many seconds left, since if running with 60 seconds is far worse than running with 8 then that's a good thing to know. Also, what should I do to make sure I kill whoever is around me first?

And then, finally, how do I actually close out these top 10 spots? I've made 2nd or 3rd a couple of times, but I never really felt in control at all when getting there. Yeah I could camp in a bathroom and hope the circle gives me the win, but I don't want to get one lucky win and nothing else. I want to actually improve and figure out how to win this game. I guess this is the most general question of them all, but it's something I still have trouble with. I get to the end of the game... and then what?

I don't expect any single person to answer all of my questions, nor do I expect them all to even get answered. What I am hoping for is to start some discussions on very specific tactics that can help someone win a game, not just the general stuff that someone who has just picked up the game may ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ky-Zo    33
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, authenticsim said:

For the most basic and most common, I'm in a field running, on a hill, or something similar and get shot at reducing my health. How can I figure out very easily where I got shot at and use my reflexes to find him, acquire my target, and kill him if I have no cover and going prone or running will kill me? I see streamers figure this out all the time so it's not an impossible task, and my headphones are fine. Again, I don't want hardware related answers since that isn't an issue.

This mainly just comes down to experience, the more shooters/time you play the easier it becomes to quickly identify which direction the snap/crackle of the bullets is coming from. Firstly to avoid this, make sure you choose a path which has any form of cover, whether that be a ridge, rock, tree etc. This of course will decrease the chances of you being seen or caught with your pants down so to speak. There will always be the odd occasion where either your mind plays tricks on you or you happen to be turning during the time of a shot and this makes it a little harder to pin point. 

I'm in a 2 story house on the second floor looting, or pausing to listen to who's around when a car drives up and someone jumps out. We both see each other and now I need to kill him before he kills me. What's the best way to win this fight? Maybe I have a shotgun, maybe I don't, though I'd assume my only weapons aren't a pistol or Kar98. What happens in the opposite situation? I drive up to a town, get out, and now I'm the one outside? If I drive away he shoots me and I die so I have to engage.

If you ever happen to be the one approaching a building/compound try to spot doors/windows broken before you decide whether to approach. E.g. if the windows are broken it's likely they have been shot out by someone, but if the doors are open it's normally safe to assume the building is clear. If you then decide this is where you want to be drive directly to a location with cover, the building itself is the best choice so you can enter if you happen to get flanked. 

Now if you're the person holding the building, ensure you know your exits and are not positioned at a window that could allow you to be shot from (outside). Due to the third person being a massive advantage indoors your best bet is too always position yourself away from the stairs but close enough so they cannot move up on you. For example I encountered this in a solo squad game. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtJ0AasHFOA < sorry to plug my channel but just thought it might help. 

Similarly, I'm going from house to house either in a city like Rozhok or maybe just in more rural area like SW of Pochinki. I have no idea if anyone is in any of these houses since I have seen no sign of anyone, but I have to keep looting since I don't have the stuff to win the end game (maybe I have an AR, but only 60 ammo, or have 0 health items). How do I balance between wasting time crouch running between locations, looking around the houses to see who's in there, and making sure I get the jump on my opponent and not the other way around. I always feel crunched for time, since I want to make sure I'm reasonably equipped, but this is especially a problem in games where you just get house after house with nothing but pistols, attachments, and the one reasonable weapon you happened to get.

As always sound is your best friend in these situations, the most common mistake I encounter with my opponents are when I approach a building they move inside which immediately gives away their position. If they had just sat still I'd have absolutely no idea they were inside. Now if you absolutely no choice but to stand your ground and fight just make sure you're always in the best position possible. When you're moving from house to house, before you exit just have a quick look around or listen, better to be safe than sorry. I'll be honest I'm not always careful when looting but I tend to stay in the open e.g. forests and away from compounds because clearing a house is not so easy due to the cqc being unreliable. Whereas being outside you can focus on your positioning and pure aim. 

We're at the final circles with 25 people or less and I have to come out of my hiding spot (maybe a house, maybe just circling around on a hill) and get to the safe zone. I know there are people around and can't figure out exactly where. If I wait until the last second to run the circle will get me. If I run too early I will get shot? When should I run, assuming I can boost to 100%? And I mean exactly how many seconds left, since if running with 60 seconds is far worse than running with 8 then that's a good thing to know. Also, what should I do to make sure I kill whoever is around me first?

This is based on preference to be honest, personally I like to get into the safe-zone early so I can secure a position and focus on who may be coming from the blue towards me. I know another strategy is to run with or just before the blue because you can then almost guarantee no-one is behind you. If you know people are around and roughly what direction they may be in just try and flank them, don't sit in the middle and risk being shot from multiple directions. I've always found it to be better to fight players rather than the circle, most importantly in these situations do not sit still for more than a few seconds, if that. I also tend to constantly A/D spam so I avoid being head shot as these are the prime circles for close proximity and sniper territory.

And then, finally, how do I actually close out these top 10 spots? I've made 2nd or 3rd a couple of times, but I never really felt in control at all when getting there. Yeah I could camp in a bathroom and hope the circle gives me the win, but I don't want to get one lucky win and nothing else. I want to actually improve and figure out how to win this game. I guess this is the most general question of them all, but it's something I still have trouble with. I get to the end of the game... and then what?

Unfortunately this can come down to good old RNG, if you are in the final circle before it closes to nothing and they have any form of cover it's generally over unless you have some good aim and they panic. There's been several games where I've had the perfect position for the last 2-3 circles then the very last happens to be on the opposite side which my last opponent is already positioned at, this is just bad luck :/. It's not particularly hard to get top 10 and I mean this in a non negative way (if that's possible) my first win on this game I only got 2 or 3 kills, I basically lucked out and didn't really see anyone the entire game and I just cleaned up the last 2-3 fights. Just keep in mind the majority of those who reach top 10 are because they have good aim, strategy etc. so expect a challenge.

Here is another video for example, the circle fell in our favor and the opposing team had very little chance of beating us. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB3ydmgDUeU <

Overall just find which play style you enjoy and see fit for a win. Personally I like to be aggressive and get whatever kills I can and if that results in a win then great. When I solo queue in squads I'd say it's more or less positioning/tactic which allows you to come out on top here because if you roll up on a full squad you must ensure you have cover and focus on where each player is. 

P.S If you ever want to duo/squad feel free to add me and we can play sometime, my steamID is > Ky-zo

Edited by Ky-Zo
  • Like 5

Thanks for the reply! I don't think I want to play duos or squads, partly since I don't have a mic, but also since I'm determined to get a win before I play duos.

In between posting and reading your reply I got 6th or 7th in a game where I maybe could have done better if I realized what had happened in the last 30 seconds. Basically, in the last 20 people I'm running away from the circle which hasn't closed in yet but is going to and I see a person in a house surrounded by some concrete fences. I don't think he sees me yet, but I have to kill him to not have him shoot me before I make it in the circle. I do, but by the time I kill him I'm in the blue. I steal his med kits (which I need) and heal up when making it in. Now for the part I messed up. I see someone just inside the circle and he sees me. We both throw grenades and shoot at each other and he dies, but I have no first aids or boosters left and need to loot him to avoid getting one shot. I grab his med kit and start using it immediately to get to 100% and then get shot by someone with a SCAR-L. Turns out, after checking how many kills I had, I never got the final bullet on him. The other guy did and shot me in the same spot. If I had realized I was vulnerable, I would have at least made an attempt to get better cover and heal, though to be honest I was probably dead anyway. Still, in the times when I actually saw people I gave it my best so I think I'm getting a little better. At one point I was trying to shoot someone when I had an SKS with an 8x scope, but couldn't hit him enough and then the circle broke up the fight. previous me would have avoided the engagement entirely so at least I'm trying.

Also, the video you posted was cool, but I felt like your opponents were idiots and they didn't know you were there at first. I'm thinking more of a cat and mouse game where you both are fully aware of each other's presence. If the guy outside runs away he gets shot, if he runs in the house maybe he gets hit, maybe not, and the guy upstairs has no escape route to jump out a second story balcony and doesn't want to be too close to the windows. Yes you want to avoid these spots, but they happen all the time and I need to know how to win at them. On the other hand, I've gotten good at fights in the apartments, as long as they aren't on the 1st floor.

Ky-Zo    33
9 minutes ago, authenticsim said:

Thanks for the reply! I don't think I want to play duos or squads, partly since I don't have a mic, but also since I'm determined to get a win before I play duos.

In between posting and reading your reply I got 6th or 7th in a game where I maybe could have done better if I realized what had happened in the last 30 seconds. Basically, in the last 20 people I'm running away from the circle which hasn't closed in yet but is going to and I see a person in a house surrounded by some concrete fences. I don't think he sees me yet, but I have to kill him to not have him shoot me before I make it in the circle. I do, but by the time I kill him I'm in the blue. I steal his med kits (which I need) and heal up when making it in. Now for the part I messed up. I see someone just inside the circle and he sees me. We both throw grenades and shoot at each other and he dies, but I have no first aids or boosters left and need to loot him to avoid getting one shot. I grab his med kit and start using it immediately to get to 100% and then get shot by someone with a SCAR-L. Turns out, after checking how many kills I had, I never got the final bullet on him. The other guy did and shot me in the same spot. If I had realized I was vulnerable, I would have at least made an attempt to get better cover and heal, though to be honest I was probably dead anyway. Still, in the times when I actually saw people I gave it my best so I think I'm getting a little better. At one point I was trying to shoot someone when I had an SKS with an 8x scope, but couldn't hit him enough and then the circle broke up the fight. previous me would have avoided the engagement entirely so at least I'm trying.

Also, the video you posted was cool, but I felt like your opponents were idiots and they didn't know you were there at first. I'm thinking more of a cat and mouse game where you both are fully aware of each other's presence. If the guy outside runs away he gets shot, if he runs in the house maybe he gets hit, maybe not, and the guy upstairs has no escape route to jump out a second story balcony and doesn't want to be too close to the windows. Yes you want to avoid these spots, but they happen all the time and I need to know how to win at them. On the other hand, I've gotten good at fights in the apartments, as long as they aren't on the 1st floor.

You'll improve over time for sure I was just trying to explain how I play and it pays off, I could not be the one sitting in a building unless absolutely necessary. I'm an aggressive player always will be, I think my highest kc game was 19 in solo queued squads, it's fun because it presents a challenge which to be honest has made me improve faster. 

You can always try recording your games and you can see what you did wrong or what you could do differently in the future.

Yes the guys in the video probably weren't the best of players but they knew I was there as I just killed their teammate downstairs, it was just to show you a situation where I had no choice but to fight so I positioned myself in the best place. I don't encounter many building situations because as I stated I prefer being in the open unless it's right at the start.

Posted (edited)

Okay, this might take some time. I'm not the BEST player, by far not, but maybe I can transfer some experience over to you. 

7 hours ago, authenticsim said:

Don't run in a field, unless absolutely necessary. Don't run ON a hill. People running on the top of a hill are very easy to spot, since their silhouette in front of a blue sky screams "HERE I AM". Run just before the top. If you get shot, you have a couple seconds to move over the hill and be in cover. 

Knowing from where you are getting shot is sometimes quite hard indeed. Therefore, I do the following: Try to focus on the gunshot. There are two sounds - one is getting you hit and a few milliseconds later the gunshot itself. So just pay attention to the second one. Watch your surroundings - most likely they will not hit you 100% of the time. Bullets will miss. Realizing where the bullets land, can give you a clue from where they shoot. If there are NO bullet holes around you, they shoot at you from the same level of height as you or below you. If there are bullet holes at your feet / in the dirt, they most likely shoot from above you (this helps you quickly open field whether you get shot from buildings or from the same level of height).

I think that the blood splatters give you information from where you got shot. I have to check that in my vids. Not 100% sure here. 

7 hours ago, authenticsim said:

Depends.... which house are you in? Use your territory. For example like this (there are a lot of houses where this works):

Find a favourable position for yourself in the house and be patient until he comes in and makes a mistake (passive play, may end up in both of you getting caught in the zone). 

Jump from the roof / window where he has no los (line of sight) and push him from the side. Surprises a lot of people (aggressive play, needs confidence). 

NEVER I repeat NEVER sit in a house where there is no second exit. Unless you really have to. 

If you are outside, use frag nades to make him move from a camping spot or use smokes to cover your retreat. However, use more than 1 smoke, since smokes are client based (that means he can see the smoke differently). Only a smoke screen from 3-4 smokes really let's you escape rather safely. You can see an example here:

The time frame should bring you to the smoke part. 

Need to go now, going to answer more later.

Sorry for all the videos, but I think it is always the best example.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Psychoghost Gaming | Solo Chicken Farmer (with Subs) | PUBG Shorts (with Subs) | PUBG Absurdity | PUBG Teamplay

Edited by Psychoghost Gaming

jurajemajl    86

@authenticsim

If you havent played multiplayer shooter before, like me, you are in for a very steep learning curve. While moving and positioning may come natural, shooting skills can only be perfected trough practice, and in PUBG death is very punishing since there is no respawn. Thats why i never play alone and in squads im always the support, never the point guy. 

• Like 1

RoKa    26

TL;DR

I think the most important thing in PUBG (other than trying to to disconnect or crash, sorry im salty because I cant for two updates) is to prevent and try to be 2 steps ahead of your opponent.

How do I walk with most cover? Where could people be? I saw him there, so much time has passed, where would I go if I was him?

In that way you prevent yourself from getting suprised and can act accordingly.

Sometimes you can't do anything. Like getting pinned by two team, then it's just up to you to hit your shots and try to eliminate a team at a time

You can't win all games, as it's too random (with loot and vehicle spawn). Trying to adjust to every situation is key.

LoootoooF1    5
15 hours ago, authenticsim said:

I'm a newbie and when i've played 90 games i had my 2nd win.

The 1st win, i camped in a cabin with an AK, scared to death, and i saw the circle reducing just till my spot. I heard ppl dying everywhere. I had to kill 2 players (the last one included, i saw him 3-4 meters away a second before he saw me and i was pointing in the good direction)

The 2nd time, my ratio was also 2 players killed ; i finished it with a shotgun, spending uselessly all my AK ammo from behind a cabin, probably shooting the grass or the trees behind.

Both time i had no idea what was going on. Obviously they all killed themselves and i just had to kill the last one. Both time, few ammo, average weapons and looting, etc.

Since then i'm getting killed with 0 kills 4 games / 5 , seeing the other too late and unaccurated firing low mid & long ranges. Lol. Hope it helps.

9 hours ago, Psychoghost Gaming said:

If you are outside, use frag nades to make him move from a camping spot or use smokes to cover your retreat. However, use more than 1 smoke, since smokes are client based (that means he can see the smoke differently). Only a smoke screen from 3-4 smokes really let's you escape rather safely. You can see an example here:

The time frame should bring you to the smoke part. 

Need to go now, going to answer more later.

Sorry for all the videos, but I think it is always the best example.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Psychoghost Gaming | Solo Chicken Farmer (with Subs) | PUBG Shorts (with Subs) | PUBG Absurdity | PUBG Teamplay

That Fog of War is not a good strategy. The players in this video are lucky the players they were up against were bad players. When you use Smoke you never want to run beyond the smoke, for you leave yourself at a HUGE tactical disadvantage. The players that were atleast 20 Yards away from the edge of the gas clouds could have easly shot and killed every one of these guys as they were emerging from the Smoke. The safest play would have been to use the smoke to advance closer and lay down, Running through and appearing out of the smoke was extremely risky, I'd say this Fog of War video was more of a what not to do then how to video...

1 hour ago, TwitchtvDDMTV said:

That Fog of War is not a good strategy. The players in this video are lucky the players they were up against were bad players. When you use Smoke you never want to run beyond the smoke, for you leave yourself at a HUGE tactical disadvantage. The players that were atleast 20 Yards away from the edge of the gas clouds could have easly shot and killed every one of these guys as they were emerging from the Smoke. The safest play would have been to use the smoke to advance closer and lay down, Running through and appearing out of the smoke was extremely risky, I'd say this Fog of War video was more of a what not to do then how to video...

Well, that may be true. However our location was known (I got shot like 10 seconds before the timestamp starts). The smoke screen was long and thick enough to let us cross the street and change the position. 

I agree, if the smoke wall is small (1-2 smoke grenades), you use it to push forward. However, with this many smokes (7) you have a pretty high gamble on the opponent side to guess from where we emerge. Especially since we always smoke both sides. Running without the smoke screen would have been worse.

But that's just my opinion :) Maybe I prefer our way more, since my nerves hate it to lay down in fields :D

the most fun part of this game for me is the contour of the land and the hills and valleys and ridgelines......Its i think the one thing that will really help you win towards the end or at least make it farther.....I dont think ive ever won a round sitting in a house.....always try and keep  a ridge between you and where you think the enemy may be.... also the ridge doesnt have to be some super big hill.....in this game a 3 ft ledge or dip in the ground will sometimes keep you covered.....always keep moving towards cover and hills.....flat ground has no cover . a hill always has at least 2 sides to it, so its easier to avoid gunfire.....i would suggest watching team Viss on twitch.tv..... He in my opinion does the best by far at using terrain to his advantage......and the way he comms you can understand why he moves and to where....very imformative....

i dont have a win in solo yet, but i dont really enjoy playing alone.. i enjoy either squadding up with friends or just meeting new people ingame....both fun...got a few wins in squad play. 

Thanks for all the responses! I'm getting a little better (I think) but still having a lot of issues. My last few notable losses included:

It was getting to the last few circles when there are still 40 people alive and the circle is over Pochinki and up to School. I'm driving a car, getting shot at while driving past school and take my chances in Pochinki. I survive with no damage, successfully go through a few houses trying to kill some campers, but they're camping too hard and I can't find any. Finally, time's up and the circle is on the opposite side flushing everyone out of Pochinki. I know that I'm going to get shot at leaving the city, but I do my best to leave and get killed anyway. I still have no idea what the best course of action is in this spot. Should I avoid Pochinki and go for the hills to the north? My loadout at the time was an AKM w/ Holo and 200 ammo and a fully loaded M4 with a 4x and 120 ammo. I never saw a single person all game, but I was actively running around and heard 100s of gunshots. I don't think I was totally screwed from the beginning since I had a car and my choice of place to stop, I just didn't know where to go. I didn't want to wait until I was the last man standing and run out since the circle would eat me alive while someone would inevitably shoot me while I have to run.

3 hours ago, authenticsim said:

Thanks for all the responses! I'm getting a little better (I think) but still having a lot of issues. My last few notable losses included:

It was getting to the last few circles when there are still 40 people alive and the circle is over Pochinki and up to School. I'm driving a car, getting shot at while driving past school and take my chances in Pochinki. I survive with no damage, successfully go through a few houses trying to kill some campers, but they're camping too hard and I can't find any. Finally, time's up and the circle is on the opposite side flushing everyone out of Pochinki. I know that I'm going to get shot at leaving the city, but I do my best to leave and get killed anyway. I still have no idea what the best course of action is in this spot. Should I avoid Pochinki and go for the hills to the north? My loadout at the time was an AKM w/ Holo and 200 ammo and a fully loaded M4 with a 4x and 120 ammo. I never saw a single person all game, but I was actively running around and heard 100s of gunshots. I don't think I was totally screwed from the beginning since I had a car and my choice of place to stop, I just didn't know where to go. I didn't want to wait until I was the last man standing and run out since the circle would eat me alive while someone would inevitably shoot me while I have to run.

you had plenty of ammo and good enough scope to  completely avoid Pochinki.....If you had armor and helmet and meds i would have headed for the hills....If you already had a new circle and it was goiing towards to hills i would have set up on top, overlooking people who were being flushed by gas. 

Once im geared i hate houses of anykind....Deathtraps. 

Makes sense to avoid the houses. I suppose it felt safe at the time, and I was worried about getting shot out in the open, but that's just something I need to improve at. I would prefer if my first win was not a camp filled luck fest. If I happen to be looting and the circle is cooperative, that's one thing (like landing in Yasnaya and getting 3 circles in a row on top of the city giving me no reason to leave), but sitting in a house that's difficult to breach and waiting for someone to find me has lost its fun, even if it feels safe.

r0eladn    22

Ive been playing a shittonne, so maybe my advice will help a little.

I am basically trying to do exactly what you are doing.

Yes ive won some games, but mostly by playing tactical. Basically meaning finding a SAFE looting spot where noone goes, get safely into the end game, and then finish it off.

However, just as you, i wanna get better. 

(seems like your tactics should be fine) IMO, most import thing is aim. So get a good mouse and mousepad(big one). Then tweak with your aim settings. Too high a sensitivity, and for me, its just messed up trying to hit your targets. Use your arm for big movements and then your wrist for smaller aim movements. 

Next step is to accept that you are going to lose your next 200-300+ games. Go into a populated area every single game, do not avoid gunfights (unless you have a serious disadvantage, say shotty guy sitting in shack or whatever). 

You start off getting 0 kills, 1 kill, stuff like that. But the idea is to build it up from there. Maybe one day you will find yourself in the top 10 with already 10 kills. 

You finally can win a game? Will prob feel alot better than doing the shotgun in bathroom strat.

Only thing about tactics, is i try to look forward, meaning that i kind of wanna plan my route into the later circles through a way through the map where there is cover. So avoiding running over open fields. Someone spots you who has cover, its gg. 

I'm assuming this is you?

If so, you look a bit like me when I was first starting out. Believe me, I'm over 250hrs in now and I've finally got my career KD ratio above 1 just recently. So I'm far from great but if you compared my first 100hrs to my second 100hrs you'd not believe it was the same player. That said, I only have 3 recorded solo wins but I don't really play it that much as I prefer duos and squads with my friends who play this game. The wins feel better when others are watching or sharing it too.

Early on (first 100hrs) I truly sucked. I easily had 9 or 10 2nd place finishes in solo before I secured my first win. Some of it was bad luck, some was being outplayed, some was me making dumb errors at the vital moment due to inexperience, nerves, having a heart attack etc. Like I said, even now I only have a few solo wins. It's a very difficult mode to win on even if you're confident and feeling good about your play. Often at the very end there is an element of luck. Sometimes a zone will go right to a guy with perfect cover and the loot from robocop. Shit happens.

If I were you, I'd just focus more on getting more top 20 finishes and then more top 10 finishes. You seem to be the sort of player who is being cautious and slow but then you end up dying mid game before you have good loot or a good position. In solo it's often good to remember the flight path and then parachute as far away from it as possible. This gives you more time to loot an area and you can feel like there are less people around rather than if you dive bombed into a town right under the plane. Being a solo player you don't need a particularly good area to get enough kit for yourself. A run through 2 or 3 smallish compounds tucked out of the way should usually get you decent loot for 1 player. Then you let the other guys become portable loot stations that you use as a buffet when you kill them later.

Another thing I did was just get more aggressive. Early on I was super paranoid and it meant I camped too long, got caught out by zones if I was too slow etc. Then I realised as time went on "wait a second. I'm more experienced than these nubs and I likely have a better PC too". You'd be surprised how many new players are on the servers all the time due to the fact the game is still growing massively. A lot of people also play on potato PCs which really makes a difference. You can be the worlds best aimer but if you're getting 30fps you're at a distinct disadvantage when I show up with say 80fps. You say you have a 1070 so I guess you're getting decent FPS. Work on the assumption your game is running smoother than most of your enemies and use that knowledge to your advantage. Push the fuckers.

Also: Suppressors. Suppressors win rounds. Prioritise finding suppressors.

For me it took a good 100hrs before I started to "git gud". I'm not great but I feel like I'm at least in with a fighting chance in every game now. I've gone from a 2.5% win rate in Season 1 to 10% in Season 2. It just takes time and practice and eventually it starts to get "easier".

• Like 3

I always know where the plane is since I have a map next to my desk and drop a pencil on it that covers the flight path at the beginning of every round. I know one problem I have is knowing when to transition from looting to not looting. I know what I need to have a good enough chance at winning, but have no idea where to go to best take advantage of it. It seems like most people feel houses are death traps that should be avoided at all costs and the best course of action is to grab a sniper rifle or AR with a 4x or 8x scope and go along some hills that overlook high traffic areas and shoot people. Maybe I need to mark on my map a few places to go to that I can attack from (once I figure out what those are). If I watch old videos that Grimmmz, Ninja, and other players that are way better than me play, they tend to go to the same starting locations, and same trap spots every time. I might try that and see how it goes. If it works for the best, it could work for me.

Oh, and I should actually try for crates. I tend to avoid them since I suck at sniping, but if I never get good at sniping I'll never be great at this game.

LoootoooF1    5

My opinion : being still with 20 players left is only a matter of patience, not looting or luck or frag.

Then starts another game.

Personnaly, i think i lose big for two reasons :

-first one, i haven't yet success to shape my controls, to make them fit ; i still not fluently activate some important controls ; also, i'm having hard time to set my sensitivity mouse numbers (general, scope 2x, 4x, etc) ; i'm bad at aiming, and at shooting the second bullet,  i struggle between chosing the single rightClick mode or the doubletapRightClick mode and not sure which one between 3rdPerson and 1stPerson is best behaviour for gunfights. If you find confortable with your controls, then that's a great move.

-second one, i dont know the map very well, it means that each time i go to an area for the final stage, where there is a lot of danger, i have to make a choice at the very last time while looking for a spot (and while the most obvious good/safe spots are probably already targeted). At this last part of the game, you can't move all around, you have to pick a  seat & stick. You mean probably the same here : " If I watch old videos that Grimmmz, Ninja, and other players that are way better than me play, they tend to go to the same starting locations, and same trap spots every time." --> They know very well some portions of the map.  They probably recorded their plays to seriously investigate these portions later, at cool. So you could try to record your games, may be ?

Post-scriptum :

My loadout at the time was an AKM w/ Holo and 200 ammo and a fully loaded M4 with a 4x and 120 ammo. I never saw a single person all game, but I was actively running around and heard 100s of gunshots.

It seems a lot of ammos. You probably dedicated a lot of time to it.  I'm pretty sure you will never have the opportunity to spend so much bullets if you play solo.

So I made it to 3rd place right now, and a better shot in this situation would have at least gotten 2nd. I broke my record for kills in a game, getting 4 this time, so I consider it to be my best game ever. The map this time was a bit strange. The starting flight path went east to west as south as the game will let it just north of Military Base. Normally I like trying the base, but I knew that 50 people would be on that island so it was out of the question. Instead I waited until it was near the end of the flight path and tried going north on that road to find a car and go to the Georgopol crates. Didn't find a car, looted random houses. Circle went to the northwest quadrant of the map opposite where the plane flew. I found a bike, but I was severely under equipped, so I sprinted to just north of the hospital to  run through houses and find something better than a shot gun an an M16. I manage to find an M4, more gear, and kill someone along the way.

Here, my memory gets a little fuzzy. The circle was over Rozhok up towards the Gun Range, and I drove my bike east noticing someone who just entered a house. I got off the bike, snuck up on him, mowed him down and had to steal his wounded Uaz, and drive north of Rozhok, hopefully across the river. I think I grabbed a Kar98 from this guy, and already had a 4x scope. Unfortunately my car flipped near Rozhok, I got shot, and had to run to a building to heal. I shimmy my way north, building to building just to avoid gunfire and maybe grab a spare energy drink. While sneaking through, I find another player who dances around a house with me. I manage to kill him, even though my aim is terrible and I use an entire clip doing so.

Next circle is 85% north of the river, and a sliver of the land south. I sneak around the terrain leaving my north side exposed but am covered from the south end where I expect most of the people to be. After messing around in the river for a while, waiting for the next circle to appear, I find out that we need to go north again. I cross the river, see that there's a house on the edge of the circle (one of the 2 story ones that looks like it should have a garage in it and this one has roof access), but I can approach it so no one can spot me. I get inside, wait a little after carefully making sure not to get shot. I never even go fully inside, since there's no point and they have 2 exit routes so I can't corner them, instead just waiting on the stairs. Circle pushes me out of the house, and the final circles are all on hills with plenty of trees and rocks for cover. At some point with fewer than 10 people I headshot someone as they're lining up a shot of their own. I run into a safe area using the trees to my advantage and we are down to the last 4. I have a hill and the circle to my back, hiding behind a large tree. Someone gets killed, and I see someone in front of me who knows I'm here. He keeps peeking erratically, but I can't get a shot off in time to kill him. Eventually I'm pushed forward and he ends up killing me before I can reach the next rock.

Still, 4 kills is a lot to me. I'll try and remember to save my games so I can recap them better, since I plan on doing that for my more notable ones. Maybe I'll upload them to youtube for advice in the future.

r0eladn    22

I just had a win and my highest kill count yet :-)

Most proud im off is that i never used a house after the first 2 that i looted.

Less proud i am of the fact that is was on NA and not EU. Cant rly understand how its possible that NA servers seem to have weaker players, but definitely seems to be a thing.

(couldnt be my matchmaking either, my ranking on EU is terrible.) 

Turskatti    0

I started playing PUBG about 2-3 weeks ago and I have 164 solo matches and no wins, so I don't think I'm good at it, but I've been getting better.

For me the biggest problem is that I can't keep my cool and I tend to shoot when I should have waited, and my shots are all over the place. I've played FPS games before, but these have always been single player games and when I played my first PUBG game, my neighbours complained about the sound of my thumping heart. :D I had to change Next/Previous Weapon bindings away from mouse wheel because when I suddenly bumped to another player, I panicked and usually changed my weapon to a smoke grenade or a machete.

So far I've been #2 twice and the second time, I thought I had it covered as I was on top of a grassy hill and could see the other player about 30-40 meters away at the bottom of this hill. He was sideways to me, crouching and not moving. There were trees close by, but he wasn't in a cover. I was prone on the hill, so I could see his head and shoulders with the camera and he couldn't see me, but a couple minutes earlier I had shot one guy dead further back on top of this hill and that last guy must have heard those shots and he must've known that I was somewhere up that hill. So, I crawled towards the edge where the hill started to go downhill, but there was a bump at the edge and I couldn't aim down my iron sights (I had UMP) because of that bump, and I thought that when I finally could aim down my sights I'd be visible to the other guy, so instead I moved to crouch position, aimed at him and shot at him, hitting him once, then missing, missing again, him hitting me twice, then I hit him and then he killed me....so, I had the drop on him and I should've killed him but I blew it. Later I remembered that I had a frag granade which I could've cooked and lobbed to his feet, but all that I forgot.

I don't like close quarters combat and after I've looted, I stay away from the cities and houses. I prefer the hills and coutryside, trying to keep on either side of ridges, occasionally peeking to the other side. Whenever I'm going uphill I stop before the top and try to see beyond the ridge.

I use bushes quite a lot and it seems to me that not many players spot you in them, unless they've seen you going in. I've had about 6 players just go past the bush 2-3 meters away, and once I was scanning the horizon to the east, when I heard footsteps from behind me and freelooking around I saw a guy heading past my bush, but he suddenly turned and came to the same bush, crouching in front of me. I laughed, took a step back and shot at him, but couldn't finish him until we both emerged from the bush and then I managed to take him down. Problem with bushes is that when aiming down the sight, the leaves block your view quite bad, so you have to move a bit forward and then there's a chance that your target could see your movement.

I usually try to parachute to cities when they are farther away from the flight path, trying to prolong my parachute flight or if I spot a vehicle, go there and drive away from the flight path.

I would most likely get better at fighting if I were to jump to military base and other busy areas, and just get in the heat of the battle, but right now I prefer the more careful approach.

Phyne    59
Posted (edited)

I'll answer your original questions, hopefully giving you a slightly different angle than some of the other replies. I can stay consistently ranked in the top 1000 in all categories, so I feel like my strategies are pretty sound.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:02 PM, authenticsim said:

People keep saying to avoid open areas. Obviously, but lets face it, we'll all be forced to run through open areas at some point. The trick here is to get be able to pinpoint the direction and distance of the shooter, right? For distance, you need to be familiar with the different sounds that different guns make. If you are able to figure out the weapon that is firing, you'll know exactly what distance it is firing from. A kar98 shot of equal loudness to UMP fire may be from 2 drastically different distances, given the kar is a louder weapon. For direction, you'll want to be rotating your camera during enemy fire. As the sound traverses your 2 stereo channels in your speakers, you'll be able to pinpoint the exact direction it's coming from. Your ears are really good at this, although your biggest obstacle here is differentiating the bullet crack from the gun firing.

My go to strategy when someone is driving up to my building(s), is to exit my house immediately and gun down the player either before they get out of their vehicle, or before they're able to find adequate cover after exiting their vehicle. Your chances of beating this player are increased tremendously if you don't let them get into another house, because at that point, you're on equal footing.

When driving up to buildings, your basic strategy here is to prevent the above from happening to you. You'll want to drive into a position that isn't easily accessible/viewable from the camper you're driving up to. Maybe the backside of a shack that's on the perimeter of a compound. Maybe a couple of rocks that are just outside of town. There isn't really a simple solution here, as every grouping of buildings may have a different best strategy, especially when the camping player could be in any one of the buildings.

but I have to keep looting since I don't have the stuff to win the end game

This is a common deadly (for you) mindset to have. Once you have a decent weapon (especially an AR) and are capable of killing other players, that is EXACTLY how you should be ensuring you have the endgame loot you need: by killing people and taking their stuff. I've played with too many squadmates who were too focused on looting late in the game, and got killed because they weren't paying attention.

As for your specific situation, it basically comes down to maximum awareness. Crank the headset, and keep your head on a swivel. Don't tunnel vision. If I'm in a city, I like to skirt the outer buildings in a certain sector of the town, sort of clearing off sections of the town I know are safe. For example the SE part of Pochinki, since there's a nice little clearing between the lower 10 buildings or so and the rest of the town, you can feel pretty safe clearing that area first, and using the clearing as a sort of no-mans land to ensure safety from the rest of the city. But once again, there's no sure strategy for any situation, and you need to be able to adapt. I guess one of the most important things in this game is staying calm under any circumstance, and taking a moment to think about your options once you've encountered a player. There have been too many times I've hoarded grenades all game, only to forget to use them against a holed up player.

We're at the final circles with 25 people or less and I have to come out of my hiding spot (maybe a house, maybe just circling around on a hill) and get to the safe zone. I know there are people around and can't figure out exactly where. If I wait until the last second to run the circle will get me. If I run too early I will get shot? When should I run, assuming I can boost to 100%? And I mean exactly how many seconds left, since if running with 60 seconds is far worse than running with 8 then that's a good thing to know.

There is no perfect time to run. One thing I always like to say is: The longer you wait, the more you're limiting your available strategies. Moving with 60 seconds left is one of your available strategies. Waiting until the last second is also one available strategy. But what if you decide to wait until the last second, and then you realize that you've made a grave mistake and are getting pincered by two players? You now don't have as much freedom to utilize another strategy because you waited until the last moment. The game is just as much about time management as it is about positioning/movement and gun skill. With sound gun skill though, I find that it's slightly more in my favor to take up an advantageous position in or near the white sooner rather than later, at the risk of exposing myself to more directions. But yet again, you can't ensure this is the best solution in every situation.

Also, what should I do to make sure I kill whoever is around me first?

You just simply can't... Your best bet is to know the map like the back of your hand, and anticipate players being in any and all good hiding spots you know of.

Info is king. Seriously, you'll want to be gathering as much info as you can without exposing yourself. Sometimes watching other players as they fight it out, and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike is the easiest way to win. But sometimes you'll know nothing and you'll be getting shot at from every direction imaginable while you're outrunning the blue. A tactical genius may be able to prevent that from happening, but in the end, an average gamer has just gotta keep his head on straight, keep calm, and try and figure out what he did wrong.

And then you have the million other things you can do: running people over with cars, staying outside the blue while healing, hiding in bushes, etc. Keep switching up your strategies to try and figure out every angle the game has to offer. You'll keep having fun, and likely play better because of it!

Edited by Phyne
  • Like 2

jurajemajl    86

After 200h played all i can say is that moving and planing will only get you so far. Without fps skillset (spazy movement, twichy shooting) you will have minimal chances of wining. 

I just cant win engagments. The only way, for me, to kill someone is: a) they are not looking at me and shooting back b) ambush.

As soon as the enemy is aware of me i get killed, im lucky if i see them at all. Recently i had a 15 games in a row where i havent killed a single enemy. Half of my endscreens are 0/0/0/ My k/d is 0.5.  I regularly shoot first from beter position and still lose. 

So, by far, two most important skills in PUBG you can have is 

1. Ability to spot (good eyes, good movement detection, big screen, lots of fps)

2. Spazy left hand, twichy right hand

Withou those two, you will be fodder 95% of the games.

ZombieRommel    65
Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2017 at 8:02 PM, authenticsim said:

So a lot of the people that post here or on reddit ask the same sort of things if they're not very good at the game. What is the best weapon? How do you configure your computer? Where should I land? All that advice is great but after playing this game for 80 hours I know that kind of stuff that most beginners might not. What I can't do is actually win the game. I know how to get to the final 10 once every 5-10 games, I just have a lot of problems that I recognize but can't actually figure out how to solve. To me the best way to solve a problem would be to go through repetition until I can figure it out, but either that's not working or the situations in this game are unique enough that every battle confuses me in a different way. Also before you ask, my headphones are fine, I have a great computer with a 1070 graphics card and have no issue with the game running poorly. It's me with my lack of experience in FPS games that needs to be fixed. So here are a few things I'm thinking of that I get stuck on and don't know the answer to:

Gunshots have a snap/pop AND a boom.  Listen for the boom.  Remember that the game's audio stems from where your camera is looking, not necessarily where your dude is.  So if you are running forward, looking left (with freelook), and hear the boom STRAIGHT AHEAD where you're looking, then the dude who fired is to your left. If you try to pinpoint shooter location from the snap/crack it can be confusing.  Let's say you are behind a tree... you hear a snap to your left.  More than likely that means the shooter is directly ahead of you or behind you and missed you.  The boom of his gun is a more precise way to locate the shooter.  BTW, I used to freeze in place behind the nearest cover and try rotating around it until I stopped getting shot.  More often than not I would die.  Now when I get shot and don't know exactly where the shooter is, I keep sprinting and zig/zag to a new location and keep my eyes forward where I'm running.  If I don't see the shooter and/or his muzzle flash ahead of me, then I know the shooter is most likely behind me or on a flank, and I want to make it as hard as possible for them to hit me, not become a stationary target and rotate around a tree.

So TLDR: Listen for the boom of the gun, ignore the cracks as they are confusing. START MOVING FAST, zig-zagging to the next piece of cover and don't stop running until the shots stop.  If the booms get fainter you're running away from the shooter.  If they get louder you're running toward him. Don't sit still and don't try to rotate around a piece of cover as there is a 50/50 chance the guy sees you and is trying to make you feel safe by not shooting until you totally stop moving.

When you hear a vehicle approaching while you're in a building, try to get line of sight on it by looking out the appropriate window.  You want to get open fire while the guy is STILL IN THE VEHICLE or just getting out of it.  That's when he's most vulnerable.  You can make shots like this easier by punching out the glass of the windows to let you stick your barrel out and aim down more.  If he pulls right up against your building wall, now you have a fight on your hands. In that situation, expect to have to dodge grenades, and MAKE SURE you know A) all the entrances in your building and B) where you can be shot from, for instance from a window of an adjacent building.  The guy might go to a nearby building and try to shoot you inside yours from the window.  You have to be listening for what he's doing and respond accordingly.In most of the 2 story buildings I'm going to be looking down the stairs and sitting at the top of the stairwell so that I'm protected from angles from adjacent building windows. Make sure you use a 1x sight if you do this as a 4x or greater has scope furniture big enough to block some angles and create blind spots (don't ask me how I know).

If you roll up on enemy op-for in a building, then you should storm the building. Grenade the top floor as many times as you can and rush in while the final grenade is still cooking and about to go off. Use SMG or shotgun as these have better moving accuracy than AR.  If you just want to leave, you could also throw a smoke grenade either in the building or on your vehicle and jet out of there.

An AR with 60 ammo can be plenty depending upon the circumstances.  If I had an AR and 60 ammo and was forced by the circle to enter a town that is usually high in baddie density, I would play it very conservative and try to kill someone and loot them. Carelessly entering buildings in big towns is a very good way to die to a shotgun camper. If it's early game, then you kind of have to loot and take your chances, but mid-game and later you can try to hunt people and take their stuff instead.

Try to leave last so that you see everyone else come ahead of you and you're able to shoot them in the back.  Meds determine what you can do here.  If you have plenty of meds, then med up and push the limit of when you can leave.  Just try to know what cover you're heading to next so that people who are already in the next circle have trouble hitting you.

This is all determined by terrain and circle favor. You generally want to take the easy shots you see (people sitting still, totally unaware of you) to take them off the board and make it so that there are less people to worry about.  If 2 people are actively fighting, then you probably want to let their battle finish so you can spring up on the winner while he's reloading and also so that you know where both of them are. In the final circles, it's generally too dangerous to loot bodies.  So once you kill someone, either go back to hiding or move. If you have tall grass or wheat field concealment, now is the time to use it.  And finally, some of the best advise for final circles comes from XFactorGaming on youtube.  "He who moves first dies." Let's say it's 1v1 and final circle is approaching.  The first guy generally to stand up and start running will reveal himself and make hismelf an easier kill. So try to be the last one to move as long as you can survive the circle.

Edited by ZombieRommel