Cam_Tech

Support for deaf players

Cam_Tech    0

Hello everyone,

My name is Cam, and I was born deaf. However, I received surgery and the Cochlear Implant (google it for details) of which allows me to hear in my left ear. I crank up the volume on my headphones and I use that to play my games. However, one problem I've been noticing while playing PUBG is the inability to detect the direction of sound. Normal people are able to play just fine, because they retain both ears and can track the direction of sounds like gunfire, vehicles, gunshots, etc. 

Now, when someone is being shot at, it shows blood on your screen to indicate you're taking damage. My problem is, in order for me to track where the shooting is from, i have to look for where the bullets are hitting and track down where that person could be shooting from. Which usually, by the time I've figured that out, I'm either close to death, or I'm dead. My suggestion, is to strengthen that blood marks from where you're being shot at. Rather the blobs of blood, make it more like a semi-circle. Somehow, put in a way that we can tell where we're being shot from. 

If this could be added in, it would definitely improve my gameplay, and would allow me to play the game along with others without having to depend on others, or luck. I'm sure this would benefits many hundreds of other people also who may have the same problem.

Thanks and have a great one!

~Cam

Shayd13    0
Posted (edited)

A friend of mine can't hear, so playing BG, which both of us like a lot, is quite challenging for us, as sound is very important in this game. Being not able to here enemy's steps behind a door, or a direction of shots targeted on you have significant impact on how long will player live in a match. So I have to constantly warn my teammate about what's going on around us via text chat, which, as you can imagine, affects our performance...

My suggestion is: why not make a simple subs, describing environmental sounds and its direction? IT doesn't need to be verbose, simple "quiet steps from the left", and "loud shots from 15 hours" (with "quiet" and "loud" describing distance or run/walk, or "with/without silencer") would be enough, and, I think, is not very difficult to implement. Of course, exact description of incoming sound can provide some benefits when compared with relative perception by ears, so option "toggle subs on" can also toggle sound off (so hearing players won't use subs to have any benefits).

Srsly, guys, there are lot of people having problems with hearing in the world, and it would be great to make at least some games more friendly for them. And, I suppose, not very time-consuming...

Edited by Shayd13

Sunsetter    36

I definitely understand the frustration, and empisize with the situation. Unfortunately, with any kind of visual ques it would dramatically cripple the game for others. A visual notification is more obvious than audible, and unfortunately for your friend and others just like being able to spot an enemy in a bush is just as much a skill in this game as hearing footsteps in the rain. 

Imagine the plane is overhead, and you normally take that moment to charge the house to muffle your foot steps. You can if listening for them hear the foot steps, but often times when in rain or with a plane overhead people have a harder time listening for those ques. With visual notifications, it would be unfair and completely get rid of a lot of tactics based on audio stealth. 

Same with bullets, if it told you the direction of every shot then why bother shooting from stealth? Even a silencer has a sound at a hundred or so meters. The point is having to either take a hit to determine where the shots are coming from, or, listen for the snap of the bullet to expertly determine its direction. It takes massive amounts of skill to distinguish where you're being shot from, and what weapon is shooting at you. I've gone in matches with friends and had them stand at range and just fire guns so we can get a better understanding of range, and weapon type, as well as direction. 

Again, it definitely sucks that your friend is having a harder time with the game because of their disability but catering the game to the minority would worsen it for the mass. 

Also, side note, I saw a video of a quadriplegic getting a chicken dinner. If he can, anyone can. Some people even play this game muted to focus better and rely on visuals only since sudden audio changes can startle and worsen a player. It's a fun game, and I hope they adapt well!

Shayd13    0
Posted (edited)

Even in my original message I've expressed the understanding of benefits provided by visual representation over an audial one. But I'd say, it's not a blocker, but a challenge. I'm not a game designer, but even I can suggest some ways to balance visual and audial way to do this, and, I'm sure, experienced developers can offer much more than "oh, thousands of deaf gamers in the world, you know, it's too complicated to make playing this game possible for you too, so we would rather ignore your problems than try to find a solution".

I realize my words can look a bit rude, well, I'm sorry, and I'm not addressing them to anyone personally, but yes, this is really frustrating even for me, a guy without hearing problems.

Edited by Shayd13

Punkey    0

Hi, I'm deaf too. PUBG is good, but yes, the inability to hear sounds  interferes very much, and because of this I almost left the game. It's hard to realize that the player who just killed you has heard all your moves around the house, and you do not. As for the Sunsetter post, there is an excellent example of a competent adaptation of the game for the deaf persons - the Full Captions option in Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. This is subtitles for all important game sounds, which in no way broke the game, but only made it more accessible. Yes, even quadriplegic players can play, but this is not the case when one should be inspired by the heroic example of overcoming the ladder by the legless, and the one when the ramp should be installed.

On 7/8/2017 at 6:03 PM, Shayd13 said:

Even in my original message I've expressed the understanding of benefits provided by visual representation over an audial one. But I'd say, it's not a blocker, but a challenge. I'm not a game designer, but even I can suggest some ways to balance visual and audial way to do this, and, I'm sure, experienced developers can offer much more than "oh, thousands of deaf gamers in the world, you know, it's too complicated to make playing this game possible for you too, so we would rather ignore your problems than try to find a solution".

I realize my words can look a bit rude, well, I'm sorry, and I'm not addressing them to anyone personally, but yes, this is really frustrating even for me, a guy without hearing problems.

It definitely is a challenge how the developers decide to tackle this issue, if at all. 

A chat box is something that may probably will never happen so if it's a case of a having some visual and UI related feedback that solves the problem whilst staying true to games creative vision/direction I'd like to hear your opinions if this is something you'd like to see.

A marriage between these two ideas may work well

with better UI

I would however still show your support for having a chat box by contributing to this thread, which a few deaf gamers have done already.

Thank you

• Like 1

Sunsetter    36

SP posting ways to help is better than the drivel I posted, sorry for not adding anything constructive and seeming to shut the idea down. That wasn't my intention. :( I  apologize if it seemed that way. 

I agree that there is definitely ways to make it easier, and just make a different play style possible. The chat box would be really neat for fast tactical commands, you could make abbreviations that could be commonly known through the community, etc. 

The Emoji idea is odd, but I could see how it'd be useful. 

Took me some digging to find, but this would be helpful for ALL parties, not just the hearing impaired.

I definitely agree that with some visual tweaks it could be easier. I think Battlefield 1 has a system that the screen gets shaded in the direction that there is immanent danger if you're being shot at? I suppose that could work for bullets, but the foot step thing would be very difficult to add in. I'm not a Dev tho, so maybe I'm just not imaginative enough to think something up. 

• Like 1

Shayd13    0

Well, from my standpoint environmental subs definitely should not be mixed with any other text messages, be it chat, commands, or in-game event reports (like "dude1 was killed by dude2"). This is very special feature which should be placed on screen separately to be easily noticed.

As for subs themselfes, I think, they should mention sound's type (shot, step, blast, engine sound), loudness, direction and, maybe, a distance (which can be also expressed through mention of loudnes, I'm not sure). Color coding can be used along with text, maybe, for character of events of same type (so player could realize that several "shot from far left" messages point out to a fight between two guys with different weapons, not to several shots from one gun). Maybe, to express distance, font size can be used too, I mean, far shot is not just quiet shot, it's echoed, so it's not enough to just describe far event as having low loudness. I can even imagine using place on screen -- it's kinda self-descriptive to understand sound's direction when message "BOOM" is placed on the left/right side.

Because of benefits such subs can provide, they should be relative enough, and, maybe, assuming turning sound off, so non-deaf players wouldn't be tempted to use subs.

And, I think, there is no need to put absolutely everything in subs. Playing experience can be greatly improved by just letting player know that someone is stomping or shooting around, even without much details, just to let player be not caught off-guard, which happens often when you're deaf.

@Sunsetter I know that wasn't your intention. :) 

@Shayd13 I'm going to dig up every deaf gamers post and merge it into here when I get time. This thread can be used for improvements to aid deaf gamers. 

Thank you 

• Like 2

Schlitzy    7

I think something to aid and effect this would be what some/many have been requesting.  

Suggestion: When being hit with gun fire, some sort of blood splatter or indication on your screen showing where you're being hit and a directional (general not accurate) indicator.

Suggestion: When being fired upon, screen indicator (general not accurate) showing what general direction fire is coming from, if it's in your immediate area. :)  Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, Schlitzy said:

I think something to aid and effect this would be what some/many have been requesting.  

Suggestion: When being hit with gun fire, some sort of blood splatter or indication on your screen showing where you're being hit and a directional (general not accurate) indicator.

Suggestion: When being fired upon, screen indicator (general not accurate) showing what general direction fire is coming from, if it's in your immediate area. :)  Just my 2 cents.

Hi

That has been something raised in this thread

At the moment directional hitmarkers aren't being considered hence why this topic is proposing the possibility of adding a chat box instead.

Thank you

Ryu116    0

Hello everyone,

I decided to sign in and start creating this post because I strongly think this is very important matter for many players who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing.  I grew up playing games since 1980s and the first time I ever played multiplayer was during 1990s.  I am Deaf with low vision and I never let it get into my way when it come to playing online with anyone online.  I rely on keyboard to quickly communicate with anyone, which allows me to fully interface with anyone.  Same thing for other many players who are Deaf and HOH (Short for Hard of Hearing) who relies on text chat to communicate with anyone.  

I especially played many different games that requires quick communication and teamwork, such as Project Reality for Battlefield 2, Squad, Battlefield 3, IL-2 1946 (Simulation) ,War Thunder, Call of Duty series, and other games.  When I used text chat with my teammates, we were able to success because of us practicing together and figuring out the short code names for any situations.  I've faced many of silly statements when people would keep telling me "You can't be in our team because we MUST have voice chat", "GET Mic or GTFO","get mic, no excuses", "How the hell can you success with text chat in fast paced situation?", and stuff like that.  And yet I've proved them wrong with previous game titles.  Same thing goes for other players who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing out there who relies on text chat for communication and interfacing with anyone.  I've played with squad / teams who are hearing, deaf, hard of hearing, and other successfully through experiences and practices.

Now, that this interesting game known as Playerunknown Battleground either totally removed or doesn't implement the text chat, the developer team have totally removed our opportunities to figure out how to communicate with our team / squad / teammates in the game.  Because of that, we are forced to use an external chat program (Discord, Steam, other) that takes significantly lot times to switch between them when being in game that even require sounds.  I already am well aware that this game is 'sound' based game, but again, ANYONE with any kind of disabilities ALWAYS find the ways to achieve something in game.  With the current ongoing situations about this game having no text chat, it forced us into huge, unfair disadvantage situations.

So reconsider about adding the text chat then anyone who are Deaf and HOH can happily buy the game and communicate with anyone in the team / squad / teammates, especially being able to fully interface with them.  Make it toggle-able (on / off), so anyone can have the choices to turn it on or off in game.  That way we can have it toggled on and have the tools that we can use to figure out how to successfully play this game while other people who does not want to see chat box, can always have it toggled off.

However, I want to bring another points about what people stated about text chat UI to this game.  I quote from different people who posted the responses to text chat from this forum and steam discussion page:

1) "I don't want text chat, it will only distract me"

My response: Well, then make it toggle-able, so it won't bother you while we NEED it for the communication purposes as explained above.

2)  "Get mic, NO EXCUSE!"

My response:  Yes there are excuse for it.  You are not enough aware about people around the world with different kind of disabilities.  Hence we need the tools that allow us to communicate with anyone.  Assuming about anyone situations is never wise thing to do.

3) "MIC is so cheap these day, get them."

My response: Same response to number 2.

4) "Sorry it is waste of time to add text chat, this game is sound based game after all."

My response: No matter what you think, you are limited in your own perspective.  There already have been people who said the similar thing for other games.  And yet the people who are Deaf / Hard of hearing players found the way to make it work with the text chat.  Metaphorically, there is a saying about the pilots in World War II:

Great pilots are made, not born.  A man may possess good eyesight, sensitive hands, and perfect coordination, but the end result is only fashioned by steady coaching, much practice, and experience. - Air Vice-Marshal J.E. "Johnnie' JOhnson, RAF

My point? No matter what, the great teamwork and skills comes from practices.  By providing us text chat, we will be given tools needed for constant practice of teamwork / cooperation and make up quick code name, in order, to figure out how to make it work in this "sound based game".

Just in case, if someone asks me:

5) "But but but... you even have low vision.. let alone deaf.. how can you play (insert the name of game).. you must be fake!"

My response:  Few words "Persistence" and "Willpower".. When there is will, the way is made.. With constantly practice and never giving up, I eventually figure out how to play in any of games.  I could send you the links to different website who have their own disabilities who managed to figure out how to play the game.  Hell, I've met very interesting player who played FPS with just one arm.  I asked him "How did you do it?" and he said the same thing as I said, persistence and willpower.  Just because you THINK we can't do it does not make you right.  You simply have NOT experiences nor seen anyone have done before in your experiences yet, hence is why you feel you must assume things with your limited perspectives.

Ghawst    1

-vouch

As a fellow Org member I strongly agree that text chat should be added. It only makes sense. And for the statements of "you shouldn't even be playing"... he showed me a link about a deaf or hard of hearing group of gamers clear a large majority of World of Warcrafts hardest raids. 

I'm a big fan of PUBG and would very much like to see text chat added. There is no way that adding text to the game, that this will make the experience worse. 

• Like 1

therealbob    2

I can vouch for the addition of a text based chat system as well. We have played many FPS's where my deaf friend and me have worked very well using just a chat based system. As of right now, if PUBG had a text based chat system, it would make for a really fun game to play with my deaf friend. 

Please consider adding a text based system to this game so we can communicate with people who are hard of hearing.   

• Like 2

Killua    2

I have bad hearing on my right side (around 20 from 100%), one thing that did help me is to setup my audio properly.

It took some time to tweak my sourround system (volume for right / behind is around twice than left), but now i can clearly

differ from where the shots come from. As for playing in duo / squad, it's normal that they tell you from where the shots

come from. A text chat would be nice to have, but in harsh situations, it's no help and would distract rather than help.

Ryu116    0
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Killua said:

I have bad hearing on my right side (around 20 from 100%), one thing that did help me is to setup my audio properly.

It took some time to tweak my sourround system (volume for right / behind is around twice than left), but now i can clearly

differ from where the shots come from. As for playing in duo / squad, it's normal that they tell you from where the shots

come from. A text chat would be nice to have, but in harsh situations, it's no help and would distract rather than help.

Killua,

You seem to have not read my post when I explained why text chat is needed for Deaf and HOH (Hard of hearing) that relies on text chat for communication.  According to your post, you stated that text chat would distract than help, my response to that:

Text chat can be toggle-able, so it won't bother you while we NEED it for the communication purposes.  No matter what you think, you are limited in your own perspective.  There already have been people who said the similar thing for other games.  And yet the people who are Deaf / Hard of hearing players who relies on text chat for communication and interfacing with other players, found the way to make it work with the text chat. No matter what, the great teamwork and skills comes from practices.  By providing us text chat, we will be given tools needed for constant practice of teamwork / cooperation and make up quick code name, in order, to figure out how to make it work in this "sound based game".

Edited by Ryu116

Killua    2
Posted (edited)

@Ryu116

I said in harsh situations, never said no to text chat. Typing when getting shot is a problem.

You can use steam chat ingame until they implement it directly to the game. Shift-TAB vs clicking

into a text box is not much of a difference since a hotkey to start typing will block all movement

until you leave textmode. A chat box will be part of your hud and blocks part of your screen.

Edited by Killua

Ryu116    0

Again, 

11 minutes ago, Killua said:

@Ryu116

I said in harsh situations, never said no to text chat. Typing when getting shot is a problem.

You can use steam chat ingame until they implement it directly to the game. Shift-TAB vs clicking

into a text box is not much of a difference since a hotkey to start typing will block all movement

until you leave textmode. A chat box will be part of your hud and blocks part of your screen.

I already answered to your posts, especially about "harsh situations".  I even posted the link to an article from PC Gamers about Deaf gamers who cleared the most difficult raiding in WOW where players were in fully harsh situations.  In that harsh situations, the people who said the same thing as you did "You need voice chat, text chat would only distract you, they would only get into way, etc..." and yet they utilized the text chat and practiced lot.  Having tools that enable us to use text chat would allow us to effectively practice and conquer the challenges in the game, especially in "harsh situations".

I am going to answer your statement:

"You can use steam chat ingame until they implement it directly to the game. Shift-TAB vs clicking"

My response: I will quote my statement from my post, "Because of that, we are forced to use an external chat program (Discord, Steam, other) that takes significantly lot times to switch between them"  and the difference between using in-game text chat box and alt tabbing between game and external chat box is signification, especially when being in "harsh situations".  

now your next statement:

"Shift-TAB vs clicking into a text box is not much of a difference since a hotkey to start typing will block all movement until you leave textmode"

My response: It is HUGE difference.  When you either alt+tab to text box OR shift+tab to in-game steam friend list screen and chat box, it takes an extra time to do that, compared to just quickly click on one key in-game (to enter text chat), type code name, then click enter.  Same thing when you try to switch between friends / group conversation in steam chat which takes even more time.  When you could just change between channel in-game text chat when entering game, so you can quickly click on a key to bring up chat, type quickly, then click enter.

Finally, your next statement:

A chat box will be part of your hud and blocks part of your screen.

my response:  Have you played game like War thunder?  They designed the text chat so it does not block your screen as you claim it would.  It only cover left lower corner of chat and when the text appear, it fades away within short time while being in small space on screen.  It is all about how dev team design the chat box in game.  At the same time, if it even help better, like I stated about making it toggle-able so you can either minimize it or bring it up anytime with a key button.

Killua    2

Steam chat is a overlay and will be on top of your gaming screen, it will be a good choice until it gets directly implemented to the game.

WOW and Battlegrounds is a huge difference, sniper or close combat given that there are silencers and hiding spots is hard, even for

none deaf or hoh like me. In WOW your target is not human and somewhat predictable and has different strategies to encounter them

thats not possible in pubg or any other game vs none ai.

I've played cs a lot, i've died many times because textchat distracted me because my eyes are split seconds on text instead on enemy's.

We agreed on simple terms like el for enemy left or codewords for fixed spots. If you have played cs, you know the text gets displayed

only a few seconds until it disappears, sometimes i just had no time to read even small codewords bcuz i was in action doing something.

The other side of the coin is to play with mates who agrees to help, in my experience and to be fair, its hard for them too always doing

extra tasks, and yes, i've lost "online" friends because i just missed something they did type > lost interest to help and die because of it.

Ryu116    0
Posted (edited)

Killua,

I understand about steam chat being recommended for now until they add text chat to the game, I still am working on bring the awareness about the lacking of text chat and how it is needed to be added to this game.

It is understandable that you went through tough time with the games, especially when it come to communicating with anyone using text chats.  I experienced the similar thing you did.  I used to play COD series game which was fast paced games too.  I've gotten defeated so many times and that's part of the progress.  That's how I finally learned how to become better player and make communication possible with anyone.

At the same time, I also faced the situations when people would give up on communicating with me because they prefer voice chat.  I've been even kicked out of the multiplayer server with other games because I don't have voice chat.  I never give up and still went on to find a way to enjoy MP games.  That's where I began making friends who doesn't mind using text communicate with me.

Getting defeated and failing over and over many times in any games is how we become better players.  There is no shortcuts and it takes persistence and willpower to become better player in any situations in games.  I understand why you are concerned about the text chat.

About WOW vs PUBG, it is true that both game are different.   It still does not the fact that people who are Deaf and HOH that relies on text chat for communication  eventually find a way to make it work in this game if it is implemented. 

Edited by Ryu116

Shayd13    0

I see lot of talking about chat in this thread... Obviously I'm not arguing about importance of communication, just would like to mention that in my initial post I was talking about environmental sounds. It's nice to have chats of course, but this problem already has solutions (my deaf friend uses steam overlay chat, it' good enough), and providing a hint about what's going on around player can't be replaced by any outside-of-game solutions. Having chance to notice enemy's steps behind the wall is critical in PUBG, that is the reason of deaf players' problems, not absence of chat boxes.

Killua    2

To have help beyond normal ways could be considered cheating or misused for ex. asus sonic radar.

Ryu116    0
Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, Killua said:

To have help beyond normal ways could be considered cheating or misused for ex. asus sonic radar.

My idea: Why not make it optional for server.  So there would be configurable server that allows sonic radar or not?  That would make it more flexible for anyone with different types of sensory disabilities to enjoy the game, just as everyone else does when it come to setting up servers?

Edited by Ryu116

Killua    2
Posted (edited)

It would be a single server for custom game that goes beyond battleye what could allow scripts and other unwanted tools. 

I would rather have private hosted servers than that. 

Edited by Killua