Sign in to follow this  
pureless

Silent walking

pureless    3

So.. I've had people sneak up on me while i was sitting perfectly still many times before. I know you can slowly tap and move, but that gets you 10 feet over the course of 10 minutes. I'm talking people that approach from long distances and get right behind you in absolute silence. How is that possible? I know walking is far from silent. Crawling is not silent. Crouch walking is definitely not silent. Should it be naturally assumed the player is exploiting or using cheats in that scenario and submitted? 

xTekx    119
6 minutes ago, pureless said:

Should it be naturally assumed the player is exploiting or using cheats in that scenario and submitted? 

No it shouldn't.

I crouch creep along the ridges all the time. Some people I sneak up on, others see me. While footsteps can be heard, people trying to mitigate their noise can do so by being careful. Plus, when if there's a lot of things happening your attention may be drawn to the gunfire or a vehicle and not notice the footsteps.

pureless    3
Posted (edited)

Those situations are understandable. I'm talking absolute silence. For example, I was the only person in the school just now. I was on the second floor. There wasn't even people close enough to hear gunfire. Somehow, someone managed to not only get into the school, but get to the second floor and get behind me with 100% absolute silence. Sound wasn't mitigated and i was paying attention to listening for him because i saw him running up on it from a distance. You can't walk through the school in complete silence. From what i've seen, it's impossible.

Edited by pureless

Frazer    17

Who knows, maybe it's a sound glitch like when you swim underwater and you can hear like you are on the surface, or when it rains but you don't hear the rain sound.

Quasispec    112

@pureless

This happens to me occasionally. My thinking is that the audio is still a bit broken and the level that you hear is very inconsistent or gets drowned out in some scenarios or with some setups. I've actually spent a bunch of time researching sound since I started playing this game and have actually been down the rabbit hole today looking at bit depth and sampling rates.

Quasispec    112

I'm thinking I may need to output in 16 bit instead of 24 bit. The higher bit depth may exacerbate the massive decibel range this game has.

xon    28
31 minutes ago, Quasispec said:

I'm thinking I may need to output in 16 bit instead of 24 bit. The higher bit depth may exacerbate the massive decibel range this game has.

Wait, what? Does the game actually widen dynamic range to the max available by bit depth? The dynamic range is already way too "realistic" on 16 bit for my taste. The plane would literally require earmuffs under my headset without dynamic compression...

But on topic: let's just hope it's a bug. Hope is all we have :D

Quasispec    112
3 minutes ago, xon said:

Wait, what? Does the game actually widen dynamic range to the max available by bit depth? The dynamic range is already way too "realistic" on 16 bit for my taste. The plane would literally require earmuffs under my headset without dynamic compression...

But on topic: let's just hope it's a bug. Hope is all we have :D

Truthfully I have no idea, I'm way out of my element with sound stuff. :P

Stress    101
6 hours ago, pureless said:

So.. I've had people sneak up on me while i was sitting perfectly still many times before. I know you can slowly tap and move, but that gets you 10 feet over the course of 10 minutes. I'm talking people that approach from long distances and get right behind you in absolute silence. How is that possible? I know walking is far from silent. Crawling is not silent. Crouch walking is definitely not silent. Should it be naturally assumed the player is exploiting or using cheats in that scenario and submitted? 

I think what happens is that you are simply too focused on something else, ive had people run up on me with an s12 out of nowhere, and i have often rushed people, expected them to know i was coming just to find out they are sitting with their back turned looking in some random direction.

I sort of think theres a general issue with footstep sound and direction. In other games i would never think a person was further away than they were, i often find myself listening for footsteps knowing they are atleast a couple of meters away from me, suddently they are standing on top of me doing things with a shotgun.

radjenovic    107

a crouched walk holding down ctrl with very slow movement and no shoes is next to impossible to hear sometimes IMHO. 

It is also possible to very slowly move  completely silently by being crouched and tapping the direction movement key lightly and slightly shimming in the direction moving, I have used this several times to circle a building and catch someone off guard.

I would like to see an option for slow door opening and even slower movement to be brought in personally.

Bloodbat    3
4 minutes ago, radjenovic said:

a crouched walk holding down ctrl with very slow movement and no shoes is next to impossible to hear sometimes IMHO. 

It is also possible to very slowly move  completely silently by being crouched and tapping the direction movement key lightly and slightly shimming in the direction moving, I have used this several times to circle a building and catch someone off guard.

I would like to see an option for slow door opening and even slower movement to be brought in personally.

I agree with this and use the same tactic works quite well with flapping feet. 😜

radjenovic    107

TO be fair I just tested out the no shoes thing for the first time and I couldnt tell any difference in noise with crouched ctrl walking

Bloodbat    3
2 minutes ago, radjenovic said:

TO be fair I just tested out the no shoes thing for the first time and I couldnt tell any difference in noise with crouched ctrl walking

Try toggle the "W", however in other posts it has been said that there is no volume advantage between boots and no boots. The hardest I find is 3 story wooden floors and generally try to move around with a plane overhead, shooting going on, red zone bombs or create a distraction with a nad. 

altijdwat    8
3 minutes ago, radjenovic said:

there isnt ;)

only advantage (as I know) is that the steps sound different so its more easy to hear someone with shoes on over you'r bearfooted walk/run.

• Like 1

sound has many bugs which cause this - i have noticed that other sounds can nullify / cancel out more important sounds. Sound is probably the biggest issue in the game right now.

Quasispec    112
7 hours ago, radjenovic said:

Yah I've been thinking instead of a "Walk" button it might work better if we have a "Stealth" button that gives us some very slow, reduced sound options. I don't think it would make sense to add something like this until the sound is redone though.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Stress said:

I think what happens is that you are simply too focused on something else,

this is not true at all. The sytem is broken, stop blaming the players. 

Just tonight i was in the observatory, i knew someone was on the roof above as i could hear his footsteps. I positioned my self to i would see him jump down, looking through the balcony window. I left it for 30 secs or so and i heard nothing more, so decided to move on, BAM he was only standing right behind me! he literally jumped off the roof, and climbed up the stairs without a single sound being heard. I have a $150 dollar headset ffs. 

Laughable system which cannot be trusted at all. 

Edited by cheersenight

Right2B3ar    0
7 hours ago, altijdwat said:

there isnt ;)

only advantage (as I know) is that the steps sound different so its more easy to hear someone with shoes on over you'r bearfooted walk/run.

IDk about that. My buddies said I was just as loud barefoot as others were with boots on.

22 hours ago, pureless said:

Those situations are understandable. I'm talking absolute silence. For example, I was the only person in the school just now. I was on the second floor. There wasn't even people close enough to hear gunfire. Somehow, someone managed to not only get into the school, but get to the second floor and get behind me with 100% absolute silence. Sound wasn't mitigated and i was paying attention to listening for him because i saw him running up on it from a distance. You can't walk through the school in complete silence. From what i've seen, it's impossible.

Probably teleport hack, not silence.

see this:

• Like 3

altijdwat    8
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Right2B3ar said:

IDk about that. My buddies said I was just as loud barefoot as others were with boots on.

You didnt read what I typed ;) for others it sounds the same, but for you the sound of someone with shoes is different compaired to you'r footsteps bearfooted so its more easy to regonize someone else's footsteps.

Edited by altijdwat

Legenscary    11

He wasn't there when I ran up to this rock.  Crouch running is either totally silent at the distance that I am from the other player or the audio is bugged.

rubberducks    8

It's impossible to tell what's happened when something is clearly wrong, either with this or a myriad of other things, because the game is so buggy and some of its component parts totally unfit for purpose.

Who knows what happened here.  Between the 20hz tick (and often much lower) from server to client, desynch, shonky netcode, a weirdly buggy audio engine, and the increasing popularity of hacks and exploits, it could be anything.  Highest probability is just that the client didn't receive and process any of the audio that you were supposed to hear.

• Like 1

Katokirinku    2

Even in silence step you can ear him but heres my theory .

If its on a open area you wont be able to hear it well because of the ambient , but if you'r in a house you can hear the footsteps clearly even if its on silence walk .

You can notice when you aproche a house that the noise changes you no longer hear the wind , etc only whats going on inside the house.