mamadi22

[Bug] VOIP(peer2peer) possibly cause of lag/rubberbanding

120 posts in this topic

I am from United Arab Emirates, Windows 8.1 Firewall but I have Avira Antivirus that controls my Firewall.

I am guessing my ISP blocked off voice chat In these two kinds of games H1Z1, PUBG. very weird how the rest of the games have voicechat working except PUBG and H1Z1.

1 person likes this

From Texas, USA on Windows 10 with Windows Firewall (although problem persists even when its disabled). Time Warner Spectrum cable internet.

From Italy, ISP is Fastweb Italia and Windows 10 as firewall, same exact problem. 

From USA, ISP is my university and Windows 10 firewall, same problem.

On 3/24/2017 at 2:41 AM, Hawkinz said:

Sorry about the issues guys.

If you haven't already, could you please respond with the ISP and firewall you're using?

Thank you 

I can verify this is a network problem because when I use my phone as a hotspot to connect voice chat works just fine.

I was able to fix mine by disabling everything except the default device in playback devices and recording devices.

Hope this might help someone!

15 hours ago, MEDIOCORE said:

I was able to fix mine by disabling everything except the default device in playback devices and recording devices.

Hope this might help someone!

didnt work for me but thanks anyway i just fucking find it stupid how i cant play duos because of this and the devs are giving 0 fucks :) 

Posted (edited)

So, I had this theory for quite a while now and lots of occuring situations just strengthened them immensely.Some of the lag issues many people are experiencing, especially the rubberbanding, doesn't always seem to be server related.

I've seen some official responses that claimed that cars(empty ones), doors and the airdrops are 100% serversided. Just keep that little info in mind when reading further!

Well, I strongly believe that in many occasions, the peer2peer based VOIP ingame is causing insane lag/rubberbanding. Even when it's not actively used. I figured out that the ingame voice is making use of peer2peer after still being able to move around on a completely crashed server, still being able to talk to other people on it (it was a solo game). So it's basicly behaving like ArmA. This should also be kept in mind when reading further, when I give and describe some examples.

So, it's seems that the VOIP is peer2peer based and cars/doors/airdrops are serversided.

Now we come to two examples.

Example #1 (Playing Duos)

Playing Duos with a friend. No lagspikes and not too much of delay when interacting with serversided entities. Then my friend got his recurring 24h forced reconnect of his internet connection (dynamic IP address included, it basicly changes with every re-connect) and huge lagspikes/rubberbanding ensued for me. He did not close his client and was still able to talk to me over ingame voice even though the server itself obviously lost connection to him (again, he now has a different IP address). I told him to close his client and just like magic, the lagspikes/rubberbanding went away as soon as he shut the game down.

This should be easily reproducable. I just didn't have the time nor assets (forever alone) to do it yet.

I could see the game going crazy over the fact that a client lost connection to the server, still being able to maintain a peer2peer connection due to VOIP, causing issues due to the VOIP also sending out the sound from the actual character models and their location. Causing somekind of connectivity fight. Which ends up in lagspikes/rubberbanding for all people that are close enough to recieve data from the individuals.

Example #2 (Playing Squad)

Same as above, playing Squad with 4 people though. One of my mates disconnects (also dynamic IP address). Rubberbanding starts for the rest of us three. Stops again in an instant as soon as the disconnected player closes his client.

Example #3 (Playing Squad)

Just a couple of hours ago. Playing Squad as a 3-man party. We drive about 500+ meters with a car towards some houses. Rubberbanding starts. We go into one of the houses to wait out the lag. It also gave me time to test if this was actually the server that was lagging or if a player who is either lagging or was disconnected is close to our location. The perfect opportunity. To my surprise, the doors of the house reacted with no delay whatsoever for any of us. So my conclusion was that the former applies, it's propably another playing causing it. And behold, we start to hear someone playing music via VOIP not too far from our location. Mind you, it's still rubberbanding. The music suddenly turned louder and louder because the player that was playing it, approached the house we were sitting in, with his group. A fight ensued with the musician being in a downed state. 2 seconds after we killed the last guy of that group and all of them died, the rubberbanding again stopped in an instant. I assume that it was due to one of them finally completely cutting the connection by closing his client. Doesn't mean that the guy playing music was the cause. Could have been any of them.

So yeah, that's what I got so far. It's not that much and obviously, but I start to doubt that all these things were just coincidence. There were more occasions that are similar obviously and I'll add more over time. Unless the devs conclude that I'm just tripping (which is possible xD).

If any of this turns out to be true though, it could cause alot more issues. Due to the peer2peer nature of the ingame voice, you propably could make use of artificially causing lag (basicly lagswitching). How useful that would be remains to be seen. I'd rather pass though.

Edited by prax85
1 person likes this

Just one question, are you playing on wifi or ethernet?

Posted (edited)

Wifi/WLan is the devil. And I feel insulted by that question! How dare you to assume such blasphemy!

Oh and don't shy away from posting your own observations here.

Edited by prax85

I have noticed on more than 1 occasion that during instances of insane lag/rubberbanding, I'll see someone die and then quit, and INSTANTLY the server start working normally again for everyone.  My friends have joked about it too "oh look, everything is fine now that Pussymasta420 just died, he must have been lagging the server"

I'm starting the believe that theres some sort of issue thats making certain players clients cause the server to lag like crazy.

Yeah, even though I doubt this actively makes the server lag out rather than every other player that is lose by enough to recieve data, as mentioned above.

5 hours ago, AndehX said:

I have noticed on more than 1 occasion that during instances of insane lag/rubberbanding, I'll see someone die and then quit, and INSTANTLY the server start working normally again for everyone.  My friends have joked about it too "oh look, everything is fine now that Pussymasta420 just died, he must have been lagging the server"

I'm starting the believe that theres some sort of issue thats making certain players clients cause the server to lag like crazy.

happened to me as well... from the start of the game it was extremely bad. lag and skipping everywhere. a few minuets later I saw a player, killed him, and instantly the lag stopped

Hey mate, interesting post. The voice system used actually doesn't involve any peer to peer protocol.

9 hours ago, prax85 said:

So, it's seems that the VOIP is peer2peer based and cars/doors/airdrops are serversided.

The in-game voice system currently used is through a service called Vivox. Other games also using this service include H1Z1, Planetside 2, World of Tanks, Eve Online, Second Life and more.

I believe the way it works is that Vivox provide and manage the voice communications through their own servers, which are separate to the game servers and that is why the voice communication continues to work even when the game servers crash.

I've forwarded this thread to the developers as the examples you gave may be of interest to them.

Thanks for the effort you put into your post.

Posted (edited)

Ah, that's ofc very interesting. I just assumed that it was based on peer2peer because the voip didn't seem to be affected by a crashed server.

Got a couple of games where the strange issues applied again today and stopped as soon as people got killed. Even later in the game with less than 40 people, where servers usually run pretty well.

Edited by prax85
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Hawkinz said:

Hey mate, interesting post. The voice system used actually doesn't involve any peer to peer protocol.

The in-game voice system currently used is through a service called Vivox. Other games also using this service include H1Z1, Planetside 2, World of Tanks, Eve Online, Second Life and more.

I believe the way it works is that Vivox provide and manage the voice communications through their own servers, which are separate to the game servers and that is why the voice communication continues to work even when the game servers crash.

I've forwarded this thread to the developers as the examples you gave may be of interest to them.

Thanks for the effort you put into your post.

I always wondered why Eve Online players refused to use ingame comms... I can see why now :)

4 minutes ago, TrendEazy said:

I always wondered why Eve Online players refused to use ingame comms... I can see why now :)

Sorry, explain?

6 hours ago, Hawkinz said:

Sorry, explain?

Sorry for the late reply.  

Eve Online Players try not to use the ingame chat as it's pretty terrible and laggy. Not saying it's this way in BG but my comment was more of a joke. Sorry.

I wish I could edit my OP and get rid of my VOIP peer2peer assumptions.

Still, I guess other players causing lag for everyone in their vicinity due to them lagging or being disconnected from the game (possibly still having the client running, not going back to the lobby) is good input nonetheless.

And I may be able to reproduce it today with a friend (the very first example). Gonna report back on it as soon as it came to fruitition.

Hello, administrator, I found a serious impact on the game's flaws, will cause all the room in the game player or team game player lag and continue for a period of time, the reason is the match game player in the match process of using VPN IP to make their own change (temporarily re dial change IP found this problem no) that leads to the depletion of resources, will eventually lead to all the room player or the game team player lag and continue for a period of time, hoping to repair as soon as possible, many game player have been deeply troubled. There is the Chinese culture is too poor, many translate are not Chinese, I hope to translate, I can help, thank you, please repair as soon as possible, my email:hansara@qq.com

Please repair as soon as possible, we have been troubled by this vulnerability for a long time

Posted (edited)

I guess what you are trying to get at is very similar to what I describe here:

Namely the first example I give there. In your case, it's due to using VPN and not a dynamic IP address but the outcome seems to be the very same. Now I'm more and more sure we're onto something here. But, this possibility can't generalized when it comes to the current lag issues because server stability seems to be in a bad state at the moment. Which also makes it kinda hard to differentiate unless you have a door/airdrop/(unused)car nearby to test it.

PS: Ignore the VOIP/peer2peer parts in that thread though. A mod put some light on it but I sadly can't edit the thread and OP anymore.

Edited by prax85

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, prax85 said:

I guess what you are trying to get at is very similar to what I describe here:

Namely the first example I give there. In your case, it's due to using VPN and not a dynamic IP address but the outcome seems to be the very same. Now I'm more and more sure we're onto something here. But, this possibility can't generalized when it comes to the current lag issues because server stability seems to be in a bad state at the moment. Which also makes it kinda hard to differentiate unless you have a door/airdrop/(unused)car nearby to test it.

PS: Ignore the VOIP/peer2peer parts in that thread though. A mod put some light on it but I sadly can't edit the thread and OP anymore.

I repeated the test five times, two times before the team went in together, I died after using VPN, the team lag, the third is one of my friends in the street, the use of VPN after he did not lag lag, then I tried two times, he lag.

Edited by hansara

Damn, so there is definitely a connection. Good job hansara!

I've found some more reports by people, one really good one and one that sounds extremely similar.

The plot thickens!