BadassBen

Low vegetation settings SEVERELY reduces a players tactical options

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Moderator response to thread:

8 hours ago, Hawkinz said:

Hi everyone,

This is an important issue and high priority concern for PLAYERUNKNOWN and the PUBG team.

PU has addressed this issue in particular and let us know that in the future, there will not be an advantageous disparity between different foliage settings and their visual ability to conceal opponents. 

This issue is being worked on, it is acknowledged by the PUBG team as currently being a problem and it WILL be fixed.

Cheers

--

I had made it to top 10 remaining. The sector had zoomed in on a beach with tall grass, and a few houses

I had laid prone next to a bit of defilade outside the houses as I knew they were a death trap.

I was in a PERFECT position

To my left was tall grass and open beach, to my right was a sand berm that I could see over.

No one in their right mind would go into the open beach area (or so I thought) and I couldn't be seen from any other angle

A player drives over to my left (behind the tall grass)

I play with medium vegetation settings and ALL I could see was the top of his vehicle. He stops, gets out, I see barely can see the movement of the top of his head behind his vehicle using 3rd person camera- blam Headshot with an AWM

The ONLY way he could have seen me was with vegetation as low as it could go because I sure as hell couldn't see him in 1st person.

This is a MAJOR issue in a lot of games

Its like turning up your brightness on a map that is intentionally supposed to be dark

This biggest offender that comes to mind is "War Thunder" ground battles where players with PERFECTLY powerful rigs INTENTIONALLY turn down settings to gain an advantage. Thought your tank was well concealed in some bushes/vegetation? Guess again, to anyone with low settings you are a sitting duck in the open, clear as day. Think your tank turret is unable to be seen through the grass YOU YOURSELF can't see through? Guess again. You cant see him, but he sure as hell can see you. It honestly drove me away from Ground Battles in that game and I REALLY don't want it to happen here as I do love the game.

But for a game that is going for a semi-ARMA feel, not being able to use vegetation is downright crippling

I hope there is a special place in hell for those who change their settings for an advantage.

Can we get some sort of 2d silhouette added in the low settings so as to still have something to block line of sight?

Low veg causes what would be perfectly applicable positions to be entirely useless. All we can use is trees/rocks which is rather lame, shallow, and most of all, predictable.

Not to mention it PUNISHES players who enjoy taking advantage of their rigs and enjoying some higher settings

As far as I am concerned, turning your settings down when you can play higher is as low as cheating/hacking.

Edited by Hawkinz
added moderator response to top of post
8 people like this

If the game wasn't so poorly optimised, I would agree with you. As it is now, people are left with no option but to turn down all settings so they atleast can play with some what okay FPS. I hope that in future when they fix the optimisation problems they add this feature in. Cause it is fairly crippling in a semi realistic game.

1 person likes this

Eh, TBH turning settings down is a choice. if it gives an advantage you are only limping yourself if you dont follow suit.

i have to say i am one of them people playing on low due to this happening to me. I love the game on the Highest it can go the game looks sweet but it puts you at to much of a disadvantage. As you can see below i don't really need to

WkVHlLC.png

they are working on making a foliage for very low to operate similar to high end, and there will be a minimum set for competitive/ranked modes that people wil have to play on. 

the game looks beautiful on ultra, but most of us simply can tplay it like that because it literally becomes unplayable. but this will change in the future. 

however, its not as low as cheating, if someone isnt cheating because their machine CANT handle the higher options, doesnt mean i AM cheating because mine can. it sucks, but it is a problem that every single competitive game has, low settings inherently reward with higer/better performance and advantage.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I can play on high settings, so i keep playin' like this and will never turn it to low for adventages. Peoples can't play on mid/high( low computer) ---->agree, it's normal. 

Peoples can play on mid/high/ultra and turn grass(vegetation) to low(very low) are fuckin' unskill !

I was down in grass and though I was hide behind vegetation but a guy killed me ( he can't normaly saw me). That's the game.......and I don't know if he was using graphics advantages. If he ´s playin' like this, he got a poor life..... All I had to say...see u on the ground!

Edited by Fullstuffman
2 people like this

I agree with the OP. However I also know that they are working hard on optimising the game so that, hopefully, this will become a thing of the past at some point soon. 
I've rarely had this much trust in a developer as I do now. I've been on the Arma 3 Battle Royale and discord for ages and I can really see how much effort went into that mod. If any team could make a game even better, it will be this one. 

Just wait for a while and until then either put your foliage settings on low or enjoy the scenery and set it to high. 

Posted (edited)

I play with everything very low besides texture and view distance, those are on high. And honestly, why would I put myself in that disadvantage to have grass on, when probably most other players have it off? They see me, I can't see them. No thanks. Besides, I gain FPS turning it off. I prefere more FPS over grass any day :)

Edited by el_t0ro
1 person likes this

I can say the same about you, i play with vegetation in ultra and you can see me when i can't see you

One could say the same about third-person view lel.

3 minutes ago, prax85 said:

One could say the same about third-person view lel.

Third person view is the same for all the people, folliage doesn't

I actually wouldnt allow in games like this to change the amount of the vegetation, only the quality, because it gives huge advantage and forces players to play on low vegetation to remain competitive.

The game is only playable with very low settings at the moment. Unless you like to play with 30 fps.

2 minutes ago, L. Franklin said:

The game is only playable with very low settings at the moment. Unless you like to play with 30 fps.

I have 50-60 fps on high settings.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, reketekui said:

Yep, you gain FOV but lose view distance, you can do it in a lot of games, but the advantage of see in corners is the same to all the players, but turning off shadows and grass allows you to see me or not

My point still stands. It's a change you manually do that will give you information I will not have if I didn't do the same, if both players are just below the crest of a hilltop for example.

And now you're trying to validate your point with gain&loss. Some people gain/lose fps with lower/higher vegetation...

Edited by prax85

1 minute ago, Iwasawa said:

I have 50-60 fps on high settings.

I'm slightly jelly.

Just so you know, they already plan on fixing this and forcing everyone to have the same foliage option.

Just now, L. Franklin said:

I'm slightly jelly.

Got an ASUS GTX1070 OC tho, but i think my processor still limits this game a lot, its an i5 3770k.

Just now, prax85 said:

My point still stands. It's a change you manually do that will give you information I will not have if I didn't do the same if we are below the crest of a hilltop for example.

And now you're trying to validate your point with gain&loss. Some people gain/lose fps with lower/higher vegetation...

I agree with you, i dont use the FOV setting and think that nobody must change nothing of the game, but i guess the grass/shadows gives more advantage, sorry for my english sometimes it's difficult to undeerstand me ;-)

Just now, reketekui said:

I agree with you, i dont use the FOV setting and think that nobody must change nothing of the game, but i guess the grass/shadows gives more advantage, sorry for my english sometimes it's difficult to undeerstand me ;-)

No problem. I just thought it's funny how many of the made arguments in this thread also apply to "third-person" view. :D

6 minutes ago, Iwasawa said:

Got an ASUS GTX1070 OC tho, but i think my processor still limits this game a lot, its an i5 3770k.

Whats your fps in "laggy cities"?

Just now, L. Franklin said:

Whats your fps in "laggy cities"?

Its good cities, i still got 50-60. But when i look at some cities from the distance... Its like 20.

I have a 6700k and 1070, i get around 80 fps, but in some cities like georgepol?¿? downs to 35fps, other cities 45/50