Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gaungu

Matchmaking Based on Skill Level Makes Game Less Fun.

So me and my friend went to go for his first duo game. He was a complete beginner(even in solo), while I, had many hours into the game. He did have much experience with FPS shooters and had very good aim. So heres how those games went (Me-many hours in the game+Him(complete beginner).

Absolutely amazing games, most of the people we were shooting at didn't even bother to return fire. They were more focused on being a pacifist by running away. We easily won Four games that night with 10 kills per game. He also bragged about the two games that he played before duoing with us. He won them both with at least 6-7 kills per game. In fact, the games we didn't win, I believe we were killed by hackers. Perhaps hackers w/ new accounts are thrown into the mix, as the next day's games we saw none. So good night and gg for both of us. He ended the night with 22 K/d in solo, 2/3 wins, 66% solo Winratio, and a 22% win/ratio in duos. The next day however, was an entirely different experience.

LIKE fighting NAVY SEALS!!!!!

AdE0GaI.gif

iVQWS4B.gif

Complete Night and Day difference for the next day's games. Everyone we went against were shuffling back and forth while healing (noobies the previous day didn't do this, probably because they didn't know about healing while moving). They all had god-like aim and would never sit still to give you an easy shot on them, unlike yesterday. They were aggressive with their pushes and actually shot back when shot at. Every gunfight was lost and we would be shot at long range even while on the move(while zigzagging, jumping etc). We also would go against duos that would straif left and right while shooting on the move to make themselves harder to hit. He later told me that after we were through with duos, he played solo, and it was also never the same. He could barely get 4 kills per match before finding someone that completely out classed him with aim and iq. We didn't win a single game this night, nor did we go above 4 kills. However, we were able to secure at least one kill per game.

So in conclusion, I believe that PUBG's matchmaking needs a few tweaks. I feel that the matchmaking system scrutinizes the player base and causes the game to be (70-90%) filled with people slightly below or near your skill level. This takes away the randomness of the game that other FPS games have. You join a lobby, and each team has random people. You actually have a chance of going up against an absolute potato, or even a pro.

My suggestion to remedy these overly stressful games, is to decrease the scrutinization of the matchmaking system?

For example, when people click "Play," allow them a 40% chance to be placed in a game where 60% of them are matchmaked based on skill. I am unsure if the 60% matchmaked are divided into skill brackets based on winratio, k/d, longest kill, etc. However, the way matchmaking is now is just frustrating to play. PUBG is supposed to be a game of randomness by the: redzone, loot, drops, circle, positioning, the list goes on and on. How can it be random whe your set up to fight against people on your skill level? Make the players we fight random. Good or bad, they will learn the game and have more fun.

Here are some other threads where people have noticed the phenomenon and have been doing worse as time goes on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/6abp0s/skill_based_matchmaking/

Sooooo....this is "I only want to play against people with less skill, because reasons" ?

Baffling....

3 minutes ago, Flagg said:

Sooooo....this is "I only want to play against people with less skill, because reasons" ?

Baffling....

No read the thread. This is, "I want to fight against random people." There is no need to utilize a matchmaking system in a game like this. I wonder if it takes extra processing power to sort/matchmake them into a game :). 

But as you said - in your first game, the noobies didn't bother to move and things were so cool and amazing, since you could win 2 games :) 

Apologies if i got you wrong here though. 

As far as i am aware pretty much every current competitive game employs some kind of matchmaking and at least for me, it's fine - i'd rather play against people within my skill range ( admittedly not that high ) and improve instead of being on a shooting range or having someone way above me. Just my 0.01$ of course.

19 minutes ago, Flagg said:

But as you said - in your first game, the noobies didn't bother to move and things were so cool and amazing, since you could win 2 games :) 

Apologies if i got you wrong here though. 

As far as i am aware pretty much every current competitive game employs some kind of matchmaking and at least for me, it's fine - i'd rather play against people within my skill range ( admittedly not that high ) and improve instead of being on a shooting range or having someone way above me. Just my 0.01$ of course.

Okay i understand how you may want less kills and lower probability of winning due to having players of your skill level blasting you to oblivion. 

However, some people may actually want the players of different skill levels to be fighting each other. 

The discrepency between day one and day two in my thread was rediculous. Do i like winning one day but losing/dieing all of a sudden? No. However knowing that it is because of the matchmaking that these games are getting increasingly difficult and frustrating is annoying.

Perhaps what people need to do to get high kills and a win in PUBG is to die a crap ton to lower the skill level/stats then matchmake into a absolute potato army server and set a new win w/ kill record? No! Please stop this mechanic. When people click play, matchmake them into random servers. 

Communist matchmaking >.>

What we need is a little bit of

6870475_orig.jpg

first of all matchmaking isn't that good in this game, the people your matched against largely depends on the time you hit the join button.

secondly wanting no matchmaking seems rather stupid, your basically saying you dont want a fair even game but rather have easy wins against people who are new to the game and by the sounds of it FPS games in general, what ? 

14 minutes ago, TheGreatFailure said:

first of all matchmaking isn't that good in this game, the people your matched against largely depends on the time you hit the join button.

secondly wanting no matchmaking seems rather stupid, your basically saying you dont want a fair even game but rather have easy wins against people who are new to the game and by the sounds of it FPS games in general, what ? 

Based on my observation, matchmaking is incredibly accurate. i have seen prople have a hard time joining games with each other with just pressing the play button at the same time (two individuals pressing play at the same time for solo). 

No, you misunderstand sir. Taking away matchmaking does not only mean having easy wins and fighting against poor skill level players. It also means fighting against people better than you or even someone at your skill level. This is all across the skill spectrum and random. Sure you may get an easy game, but there is a chance of a difficult game too.

34 minutes ago, Gaungu said:

due to having players of your skill level blasting you to oblivion

No Sir, players of my skill level won't blast me to oblivion, but have a fair chance, as much as i do. 

You have been ranked, apparently the system estimated your skill too high and in the next rounds ( and hopefully with an improving matchmaking ) you'll be ranked accordingly. 

Random matching is just a bad idea, which is why we have leagues in pretty much every sport.

You ARE aware, that you are actually proposing communist matchmaking, right ? Competitiveness is not really a communist concept and i am puzzled why eagles would help.... 

5 minutes ago, Flagg said:

No Sir, players of my skill level won't blast me to oblivion, but have a fair chance, as much as i do. 

You have been ranked, apparently the system estimated your skill too high and in the next rounds ( and hopefully with an improving matchmaking ) you'll be ranked accordingly. 

Random matching is just a bad idea, which is why we have leagues in pretty much every sport.

You ARE aware, that you are actually proposing communist matchmaking, right ? Competitiveness is not really a communist concept and i am puzzled why eagles would help.... 

No I am proposing a random and fair chance to meet players of all skill levels. It's freedom from a sinister matchmaking system where you are set up to fight not a random possibility, but fixed skill level. The eagles with the American flag signify freedom. However, I can understand how some people living under a rock/idiots can't grasp the intended meaning behind it. 

I think what you experienced and what you propose are not in sync. Just consider a random game from both perspectives:
For the pro player starting phase and middle phases will be about killing noobs mostly (if RNG doesn't put him closer to one of the other few pros)
For the potato it will be next to impossible to get to the endgame as sooner or later he will be butchered by a pro.
Both can lead to frustrating games. A good matchmaking however will place you nicely AFTER a couple of games played: my best games (where I could actually kill people and get to the end game) was when I met with people around my skill. 
You are saying the same: having (a lot) lower skilled people is boring, having (a lot) better skilled people is suicide. This is what would happen in all of the random games at different phases of the game.
I would actually like a stricter matchmaking so that everybody could have the same chance in a given game and still have the chance of going higher.

Eh, you've been fun for a few minutes, while you were at least trying to have an argument, but your eagle post just makes me laugh, so i am out.

Enjoy the game though :)

It'd matter if this game actually took skill into account in any meaningful way. If there is any MMR at all, and I'm not convinced there actually is right now, it's gotta have a huge range. Like, <100,000 players, 100,000-200,000, something like that. Massive buckets of people.

28 minutes ago, Flagg said:

Eh, you've been fun for a few minutes, while you were at least trying to have an argument, but your eagle post just makes me laugh, so i am out.

Enjoy the game though :)

Gotta love trolls. Scum of the internet.

3 hours ago, Gaungu said:

So me and my friend went to go for his first duo game. He was a complete beginner(even in solo), while I, had many hours into the game. He did have much experience with FPS shooters and had very good aim. So heres how those games went (Me-many hours in the game+Him(complete beginner).

Absolutely amazing games, most of the people we were shooting at didn't even bother to return fire. They were more focused on being a pacifist by running away. We easily won Four games that night with 10 kills per game. He also bragged about the two games that he played before duoing with us. He won them both with at least 6-7 kills per game. In fact, the games we didn't win, I believe we were killed by hackers. Perhaps hackers w/ new accounts are thrown into the mix, as the next day's games we saw none. So good night and gg for both of us. He ended the night with 22 K/d in solo, 2/3 wins, 66% solo Winratio, and a 22% win/ratio in duos. The next day however, was an entirely different experience.

LIKE fighting NAVY SEALS!!!!!

AdE0GaI.gif

iVQWS4B.gif

Complete Night and Day difference for the next day's games. Everyone we went against were shuffling back and forth while healing (noobies the previous day didn't do this, probably because they didn't know about healing while moving). They all had god-like aim and would never sit still to give you an easy shot on them, unlike yesterday. They were aggressive with their pushes and actually shot back when shot at. Every gunfight was lost and we would be shot at long range even while on the move(while zigzagging, jumping etc). We also would go against duos that would straif left and right while shooting on the move to make themselves harder to hit. He later told me that after we were through with duos, he played solo, and it was also never the same. He could barely get 4 kills per match before finding someone that completely out classed him with aim and iq. We didn't win a single game this night, nor did we go above 4 kills. However, we were able to secure at least one kill per game.

So in conclusion, I believe that PUBG's matchmaking needs a few tweaks. I feel that the matchmaking system scrutinizes the player base and causes the game to be (70-90%) filled with people slightly below or near your skill level. This takes away the randomness of the game that other FPS games have. You join a lobby, and each team has random people. You actually have a chance of going up against an absolute potato, or even a pro.

My suggestion to remedy these overly stressful games, is to decrease the scrutinization of the matchmaking system?

For example, when people click "Play," allow them a 40% chance to be placed in a game where 60% of them are matchmaked based on skill. I am unsure if the 60% matchmaked are divided into skill brackets based on winratio, k/d, longest kill, etc. However, the way matchmaking is now is just frustrating to play. PUBG is supposed to be a game of randomness by the: redzone, loot, drops, circle, positioning, the list goes on and on. How can it be random whe your set up to fight against people on your skill level? Make the players we fight random. Good or bad, they will learn the game and have more fun.

Here are some other threads where people have noticed the phenomenon and have been doing worse as time goes on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/6abp0s/skill_based_matchmaking/

Completely disagree with you... Most competitive FPS match-make on the basis of skill - and the world is a better place for it because it means most players will constantly be challenged by their opponents.

You're basically condoning a matchmaking system where higher skilled players get to enjoy servers where about a quarter of the players are always fodder. As I would be one of those fodder it would completely remove the already minimal possibility of me winning a game - and whilst the game is super fun just to play, the moment I can't work my way in to the top 30 on a reasonably consistent basis is the day I won't play it anymore. Then you'll lose all you fodder anyway and be back to the "stressful" games you hate so much.

With the player base as large as it is, even those who are incredible at the game should be winning no more than 1 in 20. If they are, then they're being match with people who are too far below their skill level.

3 minutes ago, crabby2004 said:

You're basically condoning a matchmaking system where higher skilled players get to enjoy servers where about a quarter of the players are always fodder. As I would be one of those fodder it would completely remove the already minimal possibility of me winning a game - and whilst the game is super fun just to play, the moment I can't work my way in to the top 30 on a reasonably consistent basis is the day I won't play it anymore. Then you'll lose all you fodder anyway and be back to the "stressful" games you hate so much.

This is why true Libertarianism can never work.  It eventually degrades into anarchy. 

So your argument is basically this:

"I don't want matchmaking that sets me up against players near my skill level. I wanna play against complete noobs who don't know what they're doing because that makes me feel like a winner!"

Are you serious?

I hate to be the one who says it but: GIT GUD SCRUB! (and you can tell your buddy that the same applies to him)

Making one day a god of above average player and next day throw him agains pros would be bad.

But if it works the way that it throws you agains another above average players but you are just not good enought...

I know its great when you see someone just sitting in the bush.. I was like that too O.o

I won today with my record 9 kills because people were just.. yeah sitting ducks.. or snake style in the grass while helm of different color poked from grass...

I felt bad for torturing them yet after so many times being raped in school etc.. it felt great but still.. its fun to fight opponents that throws you into news situations and they will force you to get better on game too.

If you are lazy to move around all time.. you will get raped if you are normally in higher raiting..

But anyway.. when I see some people playing on youtube (Fugglet - Acculite etc..) I see all kinds of people they are fighting.. they belong into top 10-100 usually as I saw and yet they find sitting duck one game and other game is god like sniper that gets them in vehicle from 500m with 1 shot... so.

Anyway if you would like to look.. I'm giving suggestion about new mode for pubg that would make every game a bit more.. fun and action packed.. you could meet all sorts of people there probably too :-)

4 hours ago, Gaungu said:

Based on my observation, matchmaking is incredibly accurate. i have seen prople have a hard time joining games with each other with just pressing the play button at the same time (two individuals pressing play at the same time for solo). 

No, you misunderstand sir. Taking away matchmaking does not only mean having easy wins and fighting against poor skill level players. It also means fighting against people better than you or even someone at your skill level. This is all across the skill spectrum and random. Sure you may get an easy game, but there is a chance of a difficult game too.

The matchmaking is extremely inaccurate for many reasons. Just look up the people on one of the available trackers after a game and you will see the rating being all over the place really.  The main reason for not adding all FPP modes to certain regions was due wait times.. having an accurate MM system would make some players have to wait for a very long time.

It's also very hard to give people an accurate rating to begin with since there's so many different ways to play the game and many don't really care about chicken dinner in the first 5-15 minutes and rather go for action. Like I think my kill rating is around 5k, my chicken dinner rating 35k or so and overall rating 20-25k simply because I die lots of games before being able to pick up a gun at  school or backstabbed at the bridge when running out from military base when no boats around and I can't be bothered to swim.

Would you rather meet someone with a high kill rating in the top 10 or someone with a higher chicken winner rating but poor kill rating? 

7 hours ago, Gaungu said:

wrong!  If it's so accurate how come Forsen has like 30-40 stream snipers per game?  No way in hell they should be matched with him.  Everyone who says this MM is accurate or works well is just on an a self aggrandizing ego trip

8 hours ago, Gaungu said:

How can it be random whe your set up to fight against people on your skill level? Make the players we fight random. Good or bad, they will learn the game and have more fun.

We all like to win and matchmaking (even limited matchmaking) is important for the wins to mean anything. We don't throw players together randomly for the same reason we don't take all ______ teams (insert your favorite sport) and have them randomly play each other. You'd get school teams playing pros--  a situation in which no one benefits: the kids can't win or even learn from the defeat, the pros can't improve or feel good about the win, and no one will enjoy it.

Even with matchmaking, you will see a range of players. It's not like there is some omniscient algorithm that knows precisely how good you are and finds just those people with the exact same skill levels (usually in under 2 minutes). No, the matchmaking is an estimate that does its best given the available players and a short amount of time. You will see a wide range of skills.

And yes, there are communist / socialist values that are good for this game and society in general. They aren't even that unique to communism or socialism. We benefit from fair play and shared responsibility. That is unless you are also against fire departments and paved roads and the infrastructure that allows millions of gamers from across the world to play PUBG cheaply and virtually instantaneously.

Your argument doesnt make any sense. If a game wants longevity it needs to provide new challenges to long time players by giving them stiffer matchmaking. Beating on noobs all night is boring.