RACED

Headset Advice Please.

What headset is everybody using?  I was born deaf in my right ear and a year ago had to start using a hearing aid in my other ear after an illness.  However since playing PUBG on the XBOX One I realise just how much of a disadvantage I am at regarding hearing things in game.  Its never been an issue with Skyrim or Fifa funnily enough.  I will always struggle to tell what direction a sound is coming from as thats always been the case but I still want to get a top headset which will help me out a little bit.  I have only ever used the standard head sets so I'm coming to your guys for recommendations.

Cheers

sennheiser with modmic seems to be a great combo, I recommend it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. After a bit of further reading up on this during lunch at work I would probably go for a stereo headset.  Though if I pay a visit to my pal who uses 7.1 and try his headset out to see how well that works with my hearing it will give me an idea if it works well enough to invest in 7.1.

Another reason for the headset upgrade is to get all the game sound coming though them so I can have it as loud as I want without getting grief from the missus while she does her nails or irons doilies or whatever women do these days .... I wouldnt know im too busy enjoying this game :D

Posted (edited)

Astros with a mix amp... or any head set with a mix amp :D. check amazon or your local area with offer up. 

not the little mix amp that plugs into the xbox controller(M80 I believe ).  the "full sized" one. this is the 7.1 surround sound device. it is the virtual surround sound device. it makes any stereo headset a surround sound headset.

be advised, even though the mix amp is capable of 7.1 the xbox it self is only capable 5.1. this is not Astros fault.  apparently Microsoft dropped the ball on this one. i don't know if this particular issue was fixed with the X or not.

anyway there's surround sound headsets with literally 7 little speakers in each ear. super expensive and likely not what your looking for. the rest are in fact stereo headsets that use technological magic (mix amp or similar device ) to trick our ears into perceiving surround sound.

so when you search for 7.1 surround sound headsets.  99% of what shows up is going to be a stereo headset that used tech to simulate surround sound. also take note plugging any of these into your controller directly will likely cancle the surround sound effect. thus the mix amp. you plug the headset into the mix amp 

also be advised that Microsoft apparently offers this same tech thru an app called atmos something or other. your xbox has likely tried to sell it to you . this is a paid monthly service. I haven't tried it but despite the hype around it I hear from other people it's ok at best. and the astro surround sound is better. but there is a free trial so you can dip into that depending on you. just like with the mix amp. any stereo headset will work. 

be advised that thru some weird quirk in humans in general it seems the virtual surround sound tech will not work on everyone.  i forget the percentage exactly but I belive it's somethig like 80% to 95% of people will hear surround sound and the rest wont. we're all special.

anyways in have wired astrology A40's. I love them even though I know there are higher quality headsets but these are "gaming" headsets and offer a "flat" sound. that sounds bad but it's not. it meand the audio is balanced and you will hear Frinkin every little sound detail I kid you not. it won't be all crushed by extra bass. bass IS there it's just not boosted like a pair of beats by Dre headsets for example.  the positional audio in this game is very good. especially with surround sound head sets. 

Edited by fUll951
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Honestly. Without sounding harsh. I wouldnt worry about spending a small fortune on an expensive headset since your won't get the full effect. I have a mate with the exact same issue. 

He has been using hyper X clouds and rates them pretty high. Nice and comfortable on the ears. Excellent stereo sound. Affordable price. Which is all you need. Virtual surround sucks. Ask anyone who owns astro a50s what the Dolby mode is like!

Edited by st3ady
  • Thanks 1

On 06/01/2018 at 4:14 AM, st3ady said:

Honestly. Without sounding harsh. I wouldnt worry about spending a small fortune on an expensive headset since your won't get the full effect. I have a mate with the exact same issue. 

He has been using hyper X clouds and rates them pretty high. Nice and comfortable on the ears. Excellent stereo sound. Affordable price. Which is all you need. Virtual surround sucks. Ask anyone who owns astro a50s what the Dolby mode is like!

The hyper x line are favourites at the minute. You're right about spending top end money with my level of hearing. 

• Like 1

Most wireless headsets that’s top dollar does have  Surroundsound, but I use hyper x’s and they don’t feel cheap neither!

• Like 1

Bought me the turtle beach 420x+ the weekend, wireless and great sound with super human hearing mode.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi @RACED

I know it's been suggested a little before, but this is my set up. I tried ALOT of things before this and this is the one that stuck, sound is very important to me as I went to music school and learnt about studio sound.

I’ve been able to achieve the best sound from the Xbox and PC using Astro A40's and the TR Mix Amp. I know this is an expensive option but it’s REALLY worth it.

For this you will need,

- Pair of Astro A40's
- Mixamp TR (below cables will come with it but if buying separate just buy high quality)

- 3.0m TOSlink Optical Cable

- 3.0m Micro-USB Cable

- 0.5m Digital Daisy Chain Cable

- Official Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter (Xbox One if using)

And make sure to Mute any sound coming out your tv/monitor with this setup

It would be interesting to know if you can use Pan L/Pan R on the new dolby apps on the xbox (if using) or just a PC app , id be happy to play around with settings later if you wish to know as i have these apps installed and setup

Hope you find what you're looking for

Edited by hate you too m8
  • Thanks 1

Avoid Astro or Turtle Beach and such. 80% marketing and gimmicks, 20% sound.

Go for Sennheiser or Audio Technica.

But HyperX line is actually good. I'd pick a 80 dollar HyperX headset over a expensive Astro one.

Also avoid closed back headsets for games like PUBG. Open back is better to get the full soundstage and for the precision sound details. 

Here's a good article on the subject, "Gaming audio and you. Why (99.5% of) gaming headsets suck, and how you can enter the world of high fidelity sound on a gaming headset budget!": 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

I wouldn’t agree they 'suck' & 'avoid them' Astros are good if used with an optical cable. i don’t particularly rate them with the 'm80 mix amps' they do the job but the the amp doesn’t show the headsets full capability i can’t comment on turtle beach as never used but if they 'sucked' no one would use them. Every bit of equipment will sound different anyway as every manufacture will have their own 'custom' settings built in you’ll never actually hear raw audio unless you have the correct studio speakers/headphones so its quite hard to get to a conclusion. How many people out their have actaully heard raw unplayed with audio that they can actaully hear a bit of equipment work rather than compressed, mixed audio

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Honestly, you no longer need a headset that converts Dolby Digital to Headset Surround like the Astro mix amp.  Now the xbox can do headset surround in software (Windows Sonic), so get the best quality stereo headphones you can afford and turn on Windows Sonic.

Edited by Hixbot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ASTROS ARE OVER PRICED TRASH, Before the haters come out in force yes i owned a pair and everyone buys them because of streamer/pro gamer hype but those boys are paid/sponsored to use them.

Same with Turtle beach, When they first came out they were ok but gamer hype saw them sell out and mass produce cheap trash in the years to come.

Now i expect people to trash my choice as i have just trashed their headset but best bang for your cash (note im not saying best headset ever) are the HYPER X branded headsets. They remind me of the early turtle beach years where sound quality over profit was the key.

Just my opinion over many many years... more than i care to admit.

39 minutos atrás, o Pure Rage o disse:

ASTROS ARE OVER PRICED TRASH, Before the haters come out in force yes i owned a pair and everyone buys them because of streamer/pro gamer hype but those boys are paid/sponsored to use them.

Same with Turtle beach, When they first came out they were ok but gamer hype saw them sell out and mass produce cheap trash in the years to come.

Now i expect people to trash my choice as i have just trashed their headset but best bang for your cash (note im not saying best headset ever) are the HYPER X branded headsets. They remind me of the early turtle beach years where sound quality over profit was the key.

Just my opinion over many many years... more than i care to admit.

In Brazil Astro A50 costs US$700.00 :/

On 1/6/2018 at 12:34 PM, Pvt Partts227 said:

I got cloud core hyperx wired and I can now tell where other players are more easily 

Same here. Love mu Cloud Cores

On 1/5/2018 at 5:51 AM, RACED said:

What headset is everybody using?  I was born deaf in my right ear and a year ago had to start using a hearing aid in my other ear after an illness.  However since playing PUBG on the XBOX One I realise just how much of a disadvantage I am at regarding hearing things in game.  Its never been an issue with Skyrim or Fifa funnily enough.  I will always struggle to tell what direction a sound is coming from as thats always been the case but I still want to get a top headset which will help me out a little bit.  I have only ever used the standard head sets so I'm coming to your guys for recommendations.

Cheers

I can hear just fine with my turtle beaches. No need to go buy a $200 headset. Then again if your willing, I have used Astro’s before, great headset!

Turtle Beach 800X, best headset hands down.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:45 AM, Yaw said:

Turtle Beach 800X, best headset hands down.

This is not true at all.

Head set is over priced.  Better to get the TB Stealth 700s.  Same performance with a more realistic cost.  The 800x have fitment issues.  Too tight for 75% of peoples heads.  I also get frequent disconnecting sound issues and it has nothing to do with interference or distance from hub.

4 minutes ago, Balloonknot said:

This is not true at all.

Head set is over priced.  Better to get the TB Stealth 700s.  Same performance with a more realistic cost.  The 800x have fitment issues.  Too tight for 75% of peoples heads.  I also get frequent disconnecting sound issues and it has nothing to do with interference or distance from hub.

Anything turtle beach with superhuman hearing and 7.1 is fine. The 800X has been fine for me and I call out where people are to people using astros.

3 minutes ago, Yaw said:

Anything turtle beach with superhuman hearing and 7.1 is fine. The 800X has been fine for me and I call out where people are to people using astros.

I know what its good at.  I have a set.  but when your sound cuts out or breaks up or makes digital sounds during game play, its very frustrating and annoying knowing youve spent $250 for the same thing that can be bought for $140.