ashm2811

Moving to SSD - for dummies

Apologies for the basic questions, but I don't know much about computing... I've seen a lot of people advise that moving PUBG to an external SSD will boost the load time of the map - something which constantly bugs me - as well as the general performance of the game.

So two things. Firstly, which drive to use?

I know that SSD is vastly superior to HDD, however, does it depend on the size of the drive at all? For example, would a 500GB SSD perform better than a 3TB HDD (for PUBG)? Or would any size SSD perform better than any size HDD? I ask because I actually have a 3TB HDD at home - is it worth trying to move the game to this and run it? And if the answer is no, get a SDD, again, would a larger SDD perform better than a smaller one? Or does the size have nothing to do with it?

And secondly, literally how do I do it?

I assume there is some USB input on the Xbox One where I would plug in my external drive. How do I then go about moving PUBG over to it? Is there a file management menu I can access to do this? And will it affect my game and/ or achievements if I move it over?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by ashm2811

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWbSsJwzOkk

On my Kids Xbox One I just use a 240GB Sandisk, but I'm sure you can use whatever. 

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-240GB-Solid-State-SDSSDA-240G-G26/dp/B01F9G43WU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1516388614&sr=1-1&keywords=240gb+ssd

I used this for the Encloser

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQTO8TU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you plug the drive in it will detect it and format it for the Xbox. You simply click on your game in the Games/Apps section and use your Menu button on your controller and select Manage. Use the Copy function and move it over to your external drive. Then after that click uninstall from the internal drive and now when you view games use the all storage and it just shows up as if everything is normal. 

Edited by iiiikizeriiii

If you are one the OG Xbox pick this up you can put a Harddrive in it as well as add a few more USB 2.0 drives, I use this and more and never have a problem with the game matter of fact i feel like i load in fast that a casual gamer

https://www.amazon.com/XPACK-XBOX-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-Media/dp/B01IRUBJPY/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516528314&sr=1-5&keywords=xbox+one+external+hard+drive

Edited by GFYGaming

On 1/19/2018 at 2:04 PM, iiiikizeriiii said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWbSsJwzOkk

On my Kids Xbox One I just use a 240GB Sandisk, but I'm sure you can use whatever. 

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-240GB-Solid-State-SDSSDA-240G-G26/dp/B01F9G43WU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1516388614&sr=1-1&keywords=240gb+ssd

I used this for the Encloser

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQTO8TU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you plug the drive in it will detect it and format it for the Xbox. You simply click on your game in the Games/Apps section and use your Menu button on your controller and select Manage. Use the Copy function and move it over to your external drive. Then after that click uninstall from the internal drive and now when you view games use the all storage and it just shows up as if everything is normal. 

I thought the minimum storage size for external drives on xbox was 256gb. 240 eorks for you?

On 1/19/2018 at 9:42 AM, ashm2811 said:

Apologies for the basic questions, but I don't know much about computing... I've seen a lot of people advise that moving PUBG to an external SSD will boost the load time of the map - something which constantly bugs me - as well as the general performance of the game.

So two things. Firstly, which drive to use?

I know that SSD is vastly superior to HDD, however, does it depend on the size of the drive at all? For example, would a 500GB SSD perform better than a 3TB HDD (for PUBG)? Or would any size SSD perform better than any size HDD? I ask because I actually have a 3TB HDD at home - is it worth trying to move the game to this and run it? And if the answer is no, get a SDD, again, would a larger SDD perform better than a smaller one? Or does the size have nothing to do with it?

And secondly, literally how do I do it?

I assume there is some USB input on the Xbox One where I would plug in my external drive. How do I then go about moving PUBG over to it? Is there a file management menu I can access to do this? And will it affect my game and/ or achievements if I move it over?

Thanks for the help!

Size of the drive makes no diff in performance. The write and transfer speed does. Ssd will always be better than a traditional drive. I have the one x. I use a 3tb western digital external. All one x enhanced games I keep on the internal. They definitely load faster. Internal has a more direct path. I run pubg on the internal and it works well. Was always curious how an external ssd would perform and weather it would outperform an optimized internal. Probably would. Ssd's have incredible read/write speeds with big price tags to match. 

1 hour ago, RevBeard said:

I thought the minimum storage size for external drives on xbox was 256gb. 240 eorks for you?

Yeah. Works just fine. I was confused to, but it does work. I tried to use a smaller Flash Drive and got no love from it, but the 240SSD has no issues. 

• Like 1

SSD drives are already in an enclosure pretty much (because SSD's are more or less like a memory stick in form factor). All you need is a USB3 to SATA cable (mine is 1ft or 12"). The cable should be $10 or less.

3 hours ago, MIKEW9788 said:

Size of the drive makes no diff in performance. The write and transfer speed does. Ssd will always be better than a traditional drive. I have the one x. I use a 3tb western digital external. All one x enhanced games I keep on the internal. They definitely load faster. Internal has a more direct path. I run pubg on the internal and it works well. Was always curious how an external ssd would perform and weather it would outperform an optimized internal. Probably would. Ssd's have incredible read/write speeds with big price tags to match. 

The internal pathways are different on the Original X Box than the Xbox One X.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for your helpful comments on this. Just one further question - does the type of connection make a difference?

I am looking at 3 different devices at the moment:

A 256GB USB stick

An SSD with USB to Type C connection

An SSD with USB to SATA III connection

My gut tells me that the type of connection does make a difference to the performance and that the SATA III type connection is the best (as mentioned above). But is there any reason a 256GB USB stick would not work? It is essentially an SSD. Are the read/ write times much slower than an SSD or something?

And one last thing - does it matter if it is an external or internal SSD? It will just sit on top of my Xbox in my TV cabinet. If it's an internal one, do I need to get casing for it?

be advised: an ssd won't necessarily "increase performance" it will however improve loading and game assets rendering considerably.  in other words don't expect any noticeable increase to your frames per second(for pubg anyway). but at least everything will load in and you won't get stuck under stairs or in walls.

19 hours ago, ashm2811 said:

And one last thing - does it matter if it is an external or internal SSD? It will just sit on top of my Xbox in my TV cabinet. If it's an internal one, do I need to get casing for it?

External you will just need a usb cable and plug it into the back of the xbox. These tend to be more expensive. Internal is what you would put on the inside of your PC and therefore has no USB, you cant open the xbox so you will need to buy a seperate enclosure with USB 3 compatibility so you can plug the internal SSD into the enclosure then into the Xbox 

Why are we ok with having to do all this?.. i know, because we love playing pubg.  What i mean though is why are we letting bluehole off the hook for this? I have never had such loading issues with any other game, many of which are FREE TO PLAY, no less. Why is it so hard on our Xbox to load pubg? Its not the SUBPAR GRAPHICS, the GAMEPLAY and amount of players in a given match is not unlike fortnite (which has none of these issues). why hasn't bluehole worked this out yet?  Come on bluehole, I love this game but the second a functional game that is similar to this one comes out, i as well as a large possibly crushing portion of your console demographics (i think i used that correctly) are going to jump ship and never come back. Please get your s@#& together and rework whatever it takes to fix this paid for game. Stop hiding behind the "Early Access" card and do your jobs... Just thought it needed reiteration.

• Like 2

Once you play pubg on one x compared to Xbox one you would say that it needs the one x to be enjoyed fully imho. At 1080p its a massive step up from one and at 4K its a completely different experience again. If you love pub g but don’t have a 4K tv and wonder if it’s worth it doing the upgrade. Buy one and thank me once you have your first match. The difference is absolutely unbelievable it reminds me of going from a spectrum 128k to an Amiga 500. 

Dont blaim bluehole for this buy a ssd drive for one or save up and buy a one x and feel future proof and enjoy the best game that I have ever played awesome😀

It won't help that much. Instead of worrying about rendering, now you can worry about frame rate and hit registration.