MikeRace

Installing PUBG to External SSD on XBOX

Hi Guys, sorry if this has been covered already, tried a search but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Has anyone tried plugging an external SSD into there Xbox and Installed PUBG to it?  Ive seen folk mention it in a couple of threads, but has anyone done it and did they see a difference?

Thanks in Advance.

Mike

Did it on Xbox One X, Didn’t really notice a difference. I think its more for the Orignial & S.

The elite Xbox seems to run the game better to. It uses a hybrid drive

I have a One X myself but friends have standard One and my buildings load up way quicker.  It was for them more than myself really.

6 hours ago, MikeRace said:

I have a One X myself but friends have standard One and my buildings load up way quicker.  It was for them more than myself really.

Yes you will see a faster load on the OG xbox too. USB3 is faster than the sata 2 drive inside the Xbox. Im not sure it will fix all issues, but it will fix the building load issue.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mwjw said:

Yes you will see a faster load on the OG xbox too. USB3 is faster than the sata 2 drive inside the Xbox. Im not sure it will fix all issues, but it will fix the building load issue.

Thanks dude. 

I was thinking of porting PUBG to an external just for the fact of the buildings rendering.

Every time I land, it takes a few seconds for the buildings to render, not too mention the furniture too. Those seconds are crucial especially if the other guy is already running around gathering up loot.

-M

SSD will not help at all. What will help is the option to render the game in 1080p. The console does not have enough processing power to run the game in 4k with 30 fps stable. After the last patch the FPS on XBOX ONE X was ridiculous.

• RIP 3

On 1/29/2018 at 11:11 AM, hate you too m8 said:

Did it on Xbox One X, Didn’t really notice a difference. I think its more for the Orignial & S.

The elite Xbox seems to run the game better to. It uses a hybrid drive

The Xbox X Internal HDD interface is very well optimized, so you won’t see a difference.

check Reddit, guys tried replacing the internal HDD with an SSD and they got worse performance lol.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:16 AM, MikeRace said:

Hi Guys, sorry if this has been covered already, tried a search but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Has anyone tried plugging an external SSD into there Xbox and Installed PUBG to it?  Ive seen folk mention it in a couple of threads, but has anyone done it and did they see a difference?

Thanks in Advance.

Mike

Late response, but you’ll see a difference on OG Xbox. But if you want to completely fix the rendering issue, SSD does the trick on OG box, bit of a cost though.

Have a Xbox one x and tried moving the game to my external just to see the results , was really shocked at how bad it made the game for myself . Crashed every other game and the load up times compared to the X hdd were terrible !! I really feel for you Xbox and S users if that’s anything to go by 😢

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:48 PM, MeteoroBR said:

SSD will not help at all. What will help is the option to render the game in 1080p. The console does not have enough processing power to run the game in 4k with 30 fps stable. After the last patch the FPS on XBOX ONE X was ridiculous.

Ok dude we get it, you want the option for enhanced performance on your X. I dont see why you feel the need to spread misinformation when you clearly dont have a clue what you are talking about considering I just an SSD and its completely fixed the rendering issue on OG xbox. Probably the biggest problem on OG xbox as you need to be very careful landing in high populated areas such as school

12 hours ago, djaydnb said:

Ok dude we get it, you want the option for enhanced performance on your X. I dont see why you feel the need to spread misinformation when you clearly dont have a clue what you are talking about considering I just an SSD and its completely fixed the rendering issue on OG xbox. Probably the biggest problem on OG xbox as you need to be very careful landing in high populated areas such as school

What are you on about 😂 I’ve played over 10 days on console trying all different types of methods to see which works best and I personally found that using the X’s internal was better then a external didn’t mention anything about wanting a performance enhancement :S

4 hours ago, Byron hood said:

What are you on about 😂 I’ve played over 10 days on console trying all different types of methods to see which works best and I personally found that using the X’s internal was better then a external didn’t mention anything about wanting a performance enhancement :S

For a start I wasnt replying to you was I, which is why your not quoted in the reply, so back under your bridge. Secondly I have 12 days game play and im talking about the OG xbox which I made very clear above. Last but not least I said use an external SSD and it will fix the rendering issue nothing about an overall performance enhancement dumbass.

Edited by djaydnb
  • Haha 1

I have an external ssd, 256gb on an OG Xbox.  

I get no issues with rendering at the start of the game, buildings are drawn well before I land, same for items where I used to have to wait, I don’t get that anymore.

also, when the game crashes it takes about 30 to 60 seconds max to get back in the game, it used to take minutes..

2 hours ago, ChuckN0vak said:

I have an external ssd, 256gb on an OG Xbox.  

I get no issues with rendering at the start of the game, buildings are drawn well before I land, same for items where I used to have to wait, I don’t get that anymore.

also, when the game crashes it takes about 30 to 60 seconds max to get back in the game, it used to take minutes..

How much free space is on yours? 

I am running OG-1TB ssd- with 170gb free space, still get bad rendering issues. 

Am I doing something wrong?

Do it. 

it helps load times and buildings WILL RENDER before you hit the ground. performance wise: maybe a tiny but but none I can perceive.  

it will help more games than pubg.  bf4 for example i load into the server first and always have my pic of the vehicles if I so desire.

make sure it's an SSD. NOT SSHD. 500 gig recommended,  laptop size. I forget the exact size. put it into an USB 3.0 compliant enclosure and connect with a USB 3.0 cable.  

if you have the money go for larger than 500 gig. supposedly the larger the SSD the better the performance.  just know once you get past 500  gigs the drives start to get expensive for most people. doesn't matter if you have a fat, S or the new X. DO IT.

8 hours ago, Cart3r27 said:

How much free space is on yours? 

I am running OG-1TB ssd- with 170gb free space, still get bad rendering issues. 

Am I doing something wrong?

are you using a USB 3.0 compliant enclosure and a USB 3.0 cable?

Are you sure it’s an ssd drive? 1tb would over £200 in the uk!

pubg is the only thing on mine, I have lots of free space 

6 hours ago, fUll951 said:

are you using a USB 3.0 compliant enclosure and a USB 3.0 cable?

3 hours ago, ChuckN0vak said:

Are you sure it’s an ssd drive? 1tb would over £200 in the uk!

pubg is the only thing on mine, I have lots of free space 

Sorry boys, when it comes to operation of computers I’m pretty good-when it comes to hardware I’m still learning. 

FUll-yes its 3.0 compliant w/3.0cable 

Chuck you are correct it’s, my assumption was its a SSD, when I did further research it is not a SSD, it says its a HDD DDR3 (all these terminologies confuse me, but now I see the different)

_maybe you guys can tell me if I should upgrade because this is what their site says for my external drive:

Buffalo HD-PGDU3 1tb

“With Buffalo’s Dynamic Random-Access Memory portable hard drive users no longer have to choose between speed and capacity; the HD-PGDU3 series offers both! Buffalo’s DDR3 hard drives combine the best of solid state drives – fast speed – with the best of standard hard drives – affordable large capacities.”

I’m not an expert and hard drives are notoriously bad at throwing lots of different speeds at you...

but what I read is the buffalo drive you’ve got has a small 1gb ssd part to it, the idea being frequently used files sit on this. The drives interface uses sata 1 which can do 1.5gb per second max, so even though the usb 3 interface to your Xbox is 5gb it doesn’t sound like the drive is capable of getting to that speed. The read speed is quoted as 300mb a second.

the ssd only drives use sata 3, which can get data moving upto 6gb a second, and quote read speeds of over 500mb per second.

So went to a place by me called MicroCentter (its a computer store here in Michigan, not sure if its in other states) Was about to buy a External SSD for around $170. I start browsing a little and see a internal one Samsung Evo 850. I find a enclosure and scope them up. The SSD was $79 on sale, about $15 cheaper then amazon and the enclosure was $7.

go home load it all up, Xbox OG, drop in as soon as it says eject, push up and drop straight down with a house right there. Run in the room and......Everything is LOADED! No rendering, no LAG, just smooth visuals and picking up weapons is so much better! Wanted to let anyone know because this route with the internal/enclosure i said over $70. 

_side note, i do experience lag now and again, but as for rendering and picking up items its nice and smooth! 

I put a WD My Passport External SSD 256GB on my sons OG XB to fix the rendering problem.

Found it was as cheap buying the full purpose built external SSd as buying an internal one then an enclosure, and a good usb3 cable plus you have the chance of a mismatch of parts, so better to buy the optimised full unit, IMO.

At the minute PUBG is the only game on it, but you could put your most played games on it to help with loading times.

XBox recommend a hard drive min size of 256gb so fits perfectly if your on a budget.

The rendering doesn't affect my XB1X so just needed to cure his as the building etc were not rendering by the time he landed and it was affecting our duo and squad gameplay, no fault of the devs, purely a speed issue with the OB XB's that the maps weren't loading as quickly on the older boxes.

16 hours ago, AristonSparta said:

Can someone link us some options here? I have no idea what to pick from.

Internal SSD

Internal Enclosure

lmk if you have any questions. 

Search amazon for cheaper prices. 

Edited by Cart3r27
Bad Link

Yep, external SSD here on the Xbone S. Renders everything before I hit the ground. Best part is probably the faster load in time after a game crash. 

• Like 1