MikeRace

Installing PUBG to External SSD on XBOX

16 minutes ago, IIININIII said:

Yep, external SSD here on the Xbone S. Renders everything before I hit the ground. Best part is probably the faster load in time after a game crash. 

+1 to this.

Every renders well and faster reload after the crapouts.

• Like 2

so the only way to fix the rendering problem in this game is to buy a freakin SSD with 3.0 connection cable , right ? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

at this Time yes but in the new announcement the said the wanna fix that.

Just wait one Month if you dont have the Money for a SSD ;)

The Miramar test server update will also include new vehicles and weapons, alongside several crucial gameplay optimizations. Here are just two examples:

1. Our art asset streaming process has been optimized. This will somewhat improve the “play-doh” effect on textures and will mitigate interior prop pop-in issues. This will make a big difference in the early phases of each game.

2. Our character movement system was also causing some problems, and has now been optimized. Performance and stability will be better even when many players gather in one location. We expect this to help out the game’s performance past the mid-phase.

Edited by L0gimen

Posted (edited)

Okay so quick question. I have OG xbox. You all said SSD with a 3.0 with 3.0 cable will work wonders. What if I get a SSD with 3.1 and 3.1 cable? Is the Xbox only able to handle to go up to 3.0 speeds so the 3.1 would be just waste of money? Also, does the SSD help with fps drop when there's a squad shootout up close? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jcapp73
More clarification

47 minutes ago, Jcapp73 said:

Okay so quick question. I have OG xbox. You all said SSD with a 3.0 with 3.0 cable will work wonders. What if I get a SSD with 3.1 and 3.1 cable? Is the Xbox only able to handle to go up to 3.0 speeds so the 3.1 would be just waste of money? Also, does the SSD help with fps drop when there's a squad shootout up close? Thanks in advance!

The OG and S (not mentioning the X as apparently SSD doesn't give much benefit) both have USB 3.0 so can't see it making much of a difference if you use 3.1.

SSD's major benefit is buildings fully rendered even on a hot drop and items loaded much faster. That for me was worth the money I spent on this drive. Couple of niggles transferring the game, just needed a hard reset for it to work afterward.

I can't see the SSD helping much with frame drops when there is another squad up close but I've only really seen that when I've been playing wireless or 4G (beats the hotels wifi!). Are you wired direct to your router? 

ssd does improve load times/recovery from crashed game and rendering objects on norm xbox one. Have mine in external drive with just pubg on it. Note for anyone who is thinking of getting an ssd IT has to be a minimum size of 256gb. anything under and xbox formats it as a media drive.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:48 AM, MeteoroBR said:

SSD will not help at all. What will help is the option to render the game in 1080p. The console does not have enough processing power to run the game in 4k with 30 fps stable. After the last patch the FPS on XBOX ONE X was ridiculous.

incorrect on the orig xbox its helps tremendously with building rendering at the start of a match, before i got mine up to 10sec after kanding to render after i put game on external ssd rendered before i hit the ground I see guns and what they are on roofs as I come in. So there is a performance improvement.

• Like 1

og xbx hdd spins at a lower rpm thats why our rendering takes longer. a ssd does improve rendering for og and s but not x its hdd runs at a much higher rpm, hence almost no rendering problems. plus its dam near quantum power it has for a console.

• Like 2

On 2018-04-19 at 6:17 AM, Da1hard said:

ssd does improve load times/recovery from crashed game and rendering objects on norm xbox one. Have mine in external drive with just pubg on it. Note for anyone who is thinking of getting an ssd IT has to be a minimum size of 256gb. anything under and xbox formats it as a media drive.

240gb will work just fine

this is what I put on my OG xbox and it has worked wonders for rendering and loading back in after game crash..they also have a 256GB version of it as well there. I got my on sale $149 best money i spent

www.newegg.com

WD 512GB My Passport SSD Portable Storage - External Solid State Drive - USB 3.1 - WDBK3E5120PSL-WESN

Just got a Seagate 1TB SSD yesterday - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4XH5FY?m=AB35NOF8CNEM5&psc=1

Plugged it into my OG Xbox One, reformatted, moved PUBG to it (only game on there), started playing, landed Mylta.....nothing. Still got the melted crayon effects on the buildings and it took a good 15 - 20 seconds for everything to render. Any tips? I plugged it into the port to the left of the Xbox should I try a different port?

I have both the xbox x and og xbox. The SSD will render the buildings quicker. This eliminates the "play dough" effect on the OG xbox. You will also load into the game quicker after crashing.  

On 4/25/2018 at 5:46 PM, TALLEYman said:

Just got a Seagate 1TB SSD yesterday - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4XH5FY?m=AB35NOF8CNEM5&psc=1

Plugged it into my OG Xbox One, reformatted, moved PUBG to it (only game on there), started playing, landed Mylta.....nothing. Still got the melted crayon effects on the buildings and it took a good 15 - 20 seconds for everything to render. Any tips? I plugged it into the port to the left of the Xbox should I try a different port?

The item you ordered is not a SSD. So it wont work. 

Ok so if it's a solid state drive I need, this should work correct? https://www.amazon.com/512GB-Passport-Portable-Storage-WDBK3E5120PSL-WESN/dp/B06XNPPRD9/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1525018544&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=solid+state+drive+external&dpPl=1&dpID=31Il3hZ57jL&ref=plSrch

I defiantly don't want to buy it and it not work so I want to make sure. I have a my passport external hard drive all ready and tried running the game on that but it didn't work at all. It actually got worst on an OG xbox. But that's because it's just a hard drive instead of a solid state drive I'm assuming. 

2 hours ago, Themonk said:

Ok so if it's a solid state drive I need, this should work correct? https://www.amazon.com/512GB-Passport-Portable-Storage-WDBK3E5120PSL-WESN/dp/B06XNPPRD9/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1525018544&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=solid+state+drive+external&dpPl=1&dpID=31Il3hZ57jL&ref=plSrch

I defiantly don't want to buy it and it not work so I want to make sure. I have a my passport external hard drive all ready and tried running the game on that but it didn't work at all. It actually got worst on an OG xbox. But that's because it's just a hard drive instead of a solid state drive I'm assuming. 

yea should be good to go with that one

On 1/29/2018 at 1:58 PM, mwjw said:

Yes you will see a faster load on the OG xbox too. USB3 is faster than the sata 2 drive inside the Xbox. Im not sure it will fix all issues, but it will fix the building load issue.

Even better, not only is the USB 3 faster than Sata 2, the HD inside the OG xbox is only a 5400 RPM drive.

@MikeRace Yes, you will see a SIGNIFICANT improvement in performance installing PUBG on a SSD and connecting via USB 3.0. Everything from initial render times to riding in vehicles is greatly improved.

A few things to keep in mind when purchasing your SSD however: 

• It uses a USB 3.0 connection. If you’re using a USB hub, the hub must also be USB 3.0 or later.
  • It has 256 GB or larger storage capacity.
  • It has a partition. Typically, drives come with a preformatted partition. For more information about partitioning an external hard drive, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Also worth noting is that you can buy an external ssd but they're a little pricey. You may want to consider buying an internal ssd and a SATA to USB 3.0 enclosure for it. You'll be able to get more memory for a little better price. Just make sure they're usb 3.0!

I bought the Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB internal SSD and a UGREEN enclosure and have had excellent results.

On 4/23/2018 at 2:59 PM, peyton jaxxon said:

og xbx hdd spins at a lower rpm thats why our rendering takes longer. a ssd does improve rendering for og and s but not x its hdd runs at a much higher rpm, hence almost no rendering problems. plus its dam near quantum power it has for a console.

Just to add numbers to the mix:

xbox one og - 5400 rpm

xbox one x - 7200 rpm (the current standard)

On 4/18/2018 at 8:21 AM, Jcapp73 said:

3.1 is fine. Its just a different plug coming out of the hard drive. The Xbox one will accept the 3/1 without any issues and the price between them is negligible in my experience.

xbox one doesn't help with FPS drop as that is a direct result of the lower processing power of the GPU and CPU. It just isn't fast enough to handle it all sometimes. :/

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2018 at 5:46 PM, TALLEYman said:

That is a standard HDD not an SSD. Did you link to the wrong drive? Not sure why you stated that it was an SSD when it clearly isn't😬

Edited by ONE800BEATDOWN

Posted (edited)

I have an external ssd and yes the buildings are loaded in before I land.I have the og xbox

Edited by Gar2018

17 hours ago, ONE800BEATDOWN said:

That is a standard HDD not an SSD. Did you link to the wrong drive? Not sure why you stated that it was an SSD when it clearly isn't😬

Nope didn't link to the wrong drive....I'm just an idiot I guess. I searched External SSD on amazon and that was one of the first items to pop up so I just assumed...Oddly enough, it actually started working really well. Buildings and loot are still rendered before I hit the ground. Guess because it's 1TB and PUBG is the only thing on it

2 hours ago, TALLEYman said:

Nope didn't link to the wrong drive....I'm just an idiot I guess. I searched External SSD on amazon and that was one of the first items to pop up so I just assumed...Oddly enough, it actually started working really well. Buildings and loot are still rendered before I hit the ground. Guess because it's 1TB and PUBG is the only thing on it

More likely because its a 7200 rpm drive passing data via USB 3 which is going to beat the sata 2 5400 rpm drive in your console like a drum.

Worth noting, you don't have to buy an external SSD. You can buy an internal and a $10-$20 enclosure for it. This saves you a little cash and allows you to buy some higher end stuff that, if you ever decide to build a pc, is compatible and can be used there as well instead of just having the external drive. Just a thought!

yes i did on my og xbox and it did help with the loading right when you drop in slightly