MikeRace

Installing PUBG to External SSD on XBOX

On 5/1/2018 at 8:04 AM, TALLEYman said:

Nope didn't link to the wrong drive....I'm just an idiot I guess. I searched External SSD on amazon and that was one of the first items to pop up so I just assumed...Oddly enough, it actually started working really well. Buildings and loot are still rendered before I hit the ground. Guess because it's 1TB and PUBG is the only thing on it

It does help. Your external drive runs at 7200 RPM and the Internal drive runs 5400 RPM. It may not be an SSD, but it is faster than the internal drive.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 9:48 AM, MeteoroBR said:

SSD will not help at all. What will help is the option to render the game in 1080p. The console does not have enough processing power to run the game in 4k with 30 fps stable. After the last patch the FPS on XBOX ONE X was ridiculous.

SSD makes a world of difference on both the original and the s.

• Like 1

Also looking to get rid of the playdoh effect when landing, could someone who's more clued up let me know if this will be ok to use?

https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/portable-storage/my-passport-ssd.html#WDBK3E2560PSL-WESN

As it's a portable SSD I'm not sure if that's going to effect the performance of it, I only want the 256GB one as PUBG will be the only thing going on it

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2018 at 12:50 PM, xIBeelzebul said:

Also looking to get rid of the playdoh effect when landing, could someone who's more clued up let me know if this will be ok to use?

https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/portable-storage/my-passport-ssd.html#WDBK3E2560PSL-WESN

As it's a portable SSD I'm not sure if that's going to effect the performance of it, I only want the 256GB one as PUBG will be the only thing going on it

This will work fine. You may want to shop around for an internal ssd and buy a $7-$10 enclosure for it. They tend to be more affordable because there isn't an enclosure being built/provided for it. Has the added benefit of if the plug on the enclosure ever goes bad, you can just pull out the ssd and slap it into another $10 enclosure instead of having to replace the drive or fight with the manufacturer for warranty/repair.

But, if you're not worried about those, that drive will work just fine.

For price comparisons: £109.99 is about $150 US

You can get a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB internal SSD for $130 and a SATA3 to USB 3.0/3.1 enclosure for $8

So double your storage for the same cost. Shipping not factored in here obviously.

Edited by X HALUCIN8 x
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BaddestKarmaEva said:

I installed this precise combination, and the results were fabulous. Took less than ten minutes. Much faster loading and the playdough went away. Lots of storage space as well. 

Welcome to the "SSD Club"😎

1 minute ago, ONE800BEATDOWN said:

Welcome to the "SSD Club"😎

Thanks! I'm a true believer! Now if I could just get that bobby reticle under control! 🍺

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BaddestKarmaEva said:

Thanks! I'm a true believer! Now if I could just get that bobby reticle under control! 🍺

They don't make a drive for that.....if they did I would already own it.

• Haha 1

How many times does this have to be brought up? Yes it works. The Xbox prompts you to start installing games to the ssd as default storage location when you plug it in. Delete PUBG then install it should begin installing it to the SSD. My OG Xbox renders and loads in way faster than my Xbox 1X surprisingly. Can the mods sticky a thread on this? Because obviously people can’t use a search function....

• Like 1

Anyone else notice that with the latest patch even with an ssd there are some building that do not load?

13 hours ago, TacocaT 2.0.2 said:

How many times does this have to be brought up? Yes it works. The Xbox prompts you to start installing games to the ssd as default storage location when you plug it in. Delete PUBG then install it should begin installing it to the SSD. My OG Xbox renders and loads in way faster than my Xbox 1X surprisingly. Can the mods sticky a thread on this? Because obviously people can’t use a search function....

Saw this thread get bumped and was like...yeah this could probably use a sticky. Quite a bit of good info spread through here. Perhaps I'll go through and build a 'quote' for the first page to try and persuade the mods. This one has been running for a while though.

Reviving this thread for one more question. OG Xbox here, bought an SSD for obvious reasons. The SSD I bought is internal Samsung 860 EVO with an Orico USB3.0 enclosure. My SSD is only 250GB because I don't have any money and this thread said that it would work. Watched some videos on how to install it in preparation for its arrival to my house tonight and it's starting to look like a complicated process that is way over my head. The external SSD looks very straightforward, but since I went the internal route it seems to be more complicated. So, question is, is this something I can install by myself fairly easily? Do I need any 3rd parties involved for software purposes?

36 minutes ago, Matttastic99 said:

Reviving this thread for one more question. OG Xbox here, bought an SSD for obvious reasons. The SSD I bought is internal Samsung 860 EVO with an Orico USB3.0 enclosure. My SSD is only 250GB because I don't have any money and this thread said that it would work. Watched some videos on how to install it in preparation for its arrival to my house tonight and it's starting to look like a complicated process that is way over my head. The external SSD looks very straightforward, but since I went the internal route it seems to be more complicated. So, question is, is this something I can install by myself fairly easily? Do I need any 3rd parties involved for software purposes?

it's very very easy, few steps and you're good to go.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matttastic99 said:

Put SSD in enclosure. Plug into XBOX One. Follow on screen instructions. Install/Transfer PUBG to SSD. Profit

• Thanks 1