Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valerio

Improve the quality of end-game by adjusting blue-wave

Do you agree that this would improve the end-game experience?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you agree this would improve the end-game experience?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I understand why the developers have increased the damage and threat posed by the blue wave in the end-game, because they don't want the winning player, or players, to simply hang in the blue healing themselves and killing everybody inside the circle.

However, by increasing both 1) the speed at which the zone becomes smaller and 2) vastly increasing the damage it does, it makes the end-game pretty arbitrary and, for many players (depending on location), boring. Even with experienced players, without a vehicle there are several late-game deaths which the players can often do very little or nothing about. 

Now, if neither these options above, 1) & 2), are changeable that's fine, but maybe the blue-wave should move more slowly at this stage in the game? Maybe jogging/walking/crawling pace depending on which side the wave is closing in from, rather than the jogging/sprinting/driving pace. This way, it still forces all the players into the zone (keeping them out of the blue-wave which still does an incredible amount of damage) but also allows people to strategise and approach the landscape tactically, rather than forcing people to run with holstered weapons out of the blue, directly at somebody who is shooting them. In these situations, you can't even pause to return fire because you'll necessarily die. This makes the end-game, for many unlucky players, the most anti-climactic part of the experience, which is a shame, because it should be the most enjoyable and tense part. 

Thoughts?

Completely agree, and have thought many times that the blue, in the end, becomes the primary enemy you are battling, when it should be the other players.  Gunfights should be knocking players out late game, not circle avoidance.

Much of the time I'm forced to decide to finish a gunfight (which is really fun!) and take blue damage, or disengage and just take off running (not fun.) hoping my opponent has to make the same decision.  The only logical choice given the increase in blue damage, is to just take off running which is just soooo frustrating.

I think this could easily be fixed by slowing the blue in late game stages, this is exactly how the PC tournament rules work and I'm not sure why this doesn't apply to the game globally.  We want to get into gunfights, let us finish our gunfights.

Secondarily, as a stretch goal, I was thinking that the speed of the blue could be figured on the density of players remaining.  The real goal of the blue is to force a marked increase in the density of players for a given area as the game progresses, forcing confrontation.  A higher density of players means more conflicts and fights should be happening, why not slow the circle progression when there is an adequate density of players in a given circle.  If there is a low density for a given circle diameter, then resume normal speeds.

All in all, the endgame right now feels like a scramble, you don't have nearly enough time to perform any sort of tactical maneuvering. 

Completely agree. I think the wave movement by player density makes a tone of sense. I also think it would dial in the movement of the blue wave, if it also considered active action. Player density AND active gun fights.

That's interesting jondavidjohnI didn't realise that's what they did in PC tournaments. Have you any recommended youtube videos where I can see this in action?

Couldn't agree more as well, that killing players in the end-game should be the focus and not circle avoidance. The randomness and arbitrariness of the early game is very enjoyable, but at that stage, you want gunfights to be the deciding factor. 

Completely agree.

The blue zone should move slowly at the end of the game so we can just focus on gun fights and not just running trying to get safe.

Did I hear correctly that they changed the speed of the blue zone on PC?

the guy above said they have, but I haven't found any evidence of this so far (but i haven't really checked in any detail.) 

My only recommended adjustment to the blue wall is to slightly lengthen the time between circles in the latter half of the game (the early circles are fine).  I am fine leaving the blue wall's damage where it is, but I would like more time to "hunt" and strategize when we're down to 20 or less players.

The way it is right now, the final 3-5 circles are mostly a neverending mad dash to avoid the blue wall, which increases the randomness factor significantly.

27 minutes ago, TriviaJockey said:

My only recommended adjustment to the blue wall is to slightly lengthen the time between circles in the latter half of the game (the early circles are fine).  I am fine leaving the blue wall's damage where it is, but I would like more time to "hunt" and strategize when we're down to 20 or less players.

The way it is right now, the final 3-5 circles are mostly a neverending mad dash to avoid the blue wall, which increases the randomness factor significantly.

I agree and I'd be happy with your solution of slowing down the speed at which the circle changes to a smaller version. I guess I was suggesting that blue-wave moving slower as an alternative solution which I'd personally prefer. 

Great ideas guys, let that winner winner chicken dinner be earned by combative blood ape fights, not the blue maidens unforgiving roll of the dice.

YES!!!!!  There is nothing worse than having the rush you get in being under 10 then forced to sprint into a bullet or die by the blue wall  of death

Agree 100% The BZ should not be the game decider in end game. When it is down to only a few players it is obvious that your movement will be slower and more tactical, so having  the wall force you get up from a prone position in such a small circle is counter productive. I am all for a faster circle in the begging stages to move the game along and thin the player amount, but in the last 2-3 circles it should move at a pace to allow you to crawl.

This grandpa's reaction captures what I meant about anti-climactic end-game better than what I've said - skip to 9:58 

I think they should do away with the blue zone all together. Skill should be the focus, not avoidance. Trying to push players into fighting with death zones is a rather low brow approach. People with ghillie suits and teams already camp the zone as it is. 

42 minutes ago, EyesForward said:

I think they should do away with the blue zone all together. Skill should be the focus, not avoidance. Trying to push players into fighting with death zones is a rather low brow approach. People with ghillie suits and teams already camp the zone as it is. 

The game would never end without the blue zone. You need it to force engagement and positioning of players. If not you would just have people camping all over the map with no end in sight.

Those people with suits and camping are using their time management better than others. Just learn manage that circle better and be that camper.

1 minute ago, Shomiehawn said:

The game would never end without the blue zone. You need it to force engagement and positioning of players. If not you would just have people camping all over the map with no end in sight.

Those people with suits and camping are using their time management better than others. Just learn manage that circle better and be that camper.

There are other ways of going about it. You don't need to kill a quarter of the players or more by a blue zone. I would rather get killed a 100 times by a better player than get killed once by the blue zone because I went to 20 houses and only found clothes, pistols, and over unders. 

I really don't have a problem with the zone camping, but it's fucking boring when I can get 20 top 10 finishes without firing a shot. playing the zone is boring and frankly takes very little skill to manage the zone. 

I'm with @TriviaJockey on this. If they just slow it down toward the end we'll have the time to fight each other . 

What's the point of squeezing us all together in one spot if we don't have the time to finish our engagement.. I've started so many fights just to stop shooting and run.  And they'll either do the same or accept their fate and try to shoot me in the back 

I think this takes away from the basic reason we came in the first place 

On 2018-03-08 at 6:01 AM, TriviaJockey said:

Precisely this. It becomes less a game of skill and more of a game of luck. It isn’t at all any kind of fun being killed having to dash full sprint into an open field with the blue right on your tail. You might as well be chumming the waters in a shark infested pool.

12 hours ago, EyesForward said:

This is the game's whole concept, it's what makes it unique. Without it, the game is just operation flashpoint or arma which you can go and play. 

11 hours ago, MiniUziShhh said:

I'm with @TriviaJockey on this. If they just slow it down toward the end we'll have the time to fight each other . 

What's the point of squeezing us all together in one spot if we don't have the time to finish our engagement.. I've started so many fights just to stop shooting and run.  And they'll either do the same or accept their fate and try to shoot me in the back 

I think this takes away from the basic reason we came in the first place 

I agree. whether it's slowing down the speed of the wave, or the rate at which it changes, something should be done. the vast majority of players agree that something needs modifying in the end-game to increase the likelihood that firefights are given a little more room to breathe. 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, EyesForward said:

There are other ways of going about it. You don't need to kill a quarter of the players or more by a blue zone. I would rather get killed a 100 times by a better player than get killed once by the blue zone because I went to 20 houses and only found clothes, pistols, and over unders. 

I really don't have a problem with the zone camping, but it's fucking boring when I can get 20 top 10 finishes without firing a shot. playing the zone is boring and frankly takes very little skill to manage the zone. 

Not sure why a bad RNG is the blue zones fault. Are you saying you die to the blue zone because you are looting too long looking for stuff? Cause that goes under time management. Or you can go and die to a better player trying to take his stuff like you prefer.

Also you state that it take very little skill to manage. So why is it a big deal then? Its a fundamental part of the game the promotes engagement by forcing players near each other. You said in another post there is a better way of going about it.

What is your solution? Because without that zone I think you underestimate just how long matches would take and ultimately how much more boring they would be.

I'd speculate the change in blue zone went hand in hand in freeing up server space and pushing the games to finish quicker.  I too liked the slower, less painful final circle.  It's one helluva let down to have the blue zone win the game and in 2 of my very few wins the blue won twice, not the players. 

I AGREE

make the game funner by:

making the last 2 big circles give less damage and be slower.

theres way too many games where we are running next to our enemy guns holstered. (what kind of race game is this??!! said the non gamer observer)

the purpose is to get us together, to shoot at, and we cant do that. we are instead running from the #1 killer in the game. it shouldn't be that way. 

ideas:

1. remove all armor while behind the wall, and have health automatically reduced to half with no ability to heal, and insta-kill them if they camp past the circle duration, that way NO ONE will want to be in it. this gives them a chance to FIGHT nonetheless, something it DOESNT DO at the moment. this way they'll eventually reach their destination at a cost of risk-of-easy-death and some heals, a worthy punishment. 

I like that the end zone has increased damage, maybe it could be turned down a bit cause its too dramatic. But I agree it should move slower