(*)Bad

why 3rd person in the first place?

prax85    45
1 minute ago, InsightKnight said:

No dude. You are just being ridiculous. If I use a drone and see someone a mile away is that not situational awareness? You are just twisting logic to fit your agenda.

Oh sure... I'm the one who's twisting... yes... I'm the one who just felt like ignoring a truck-load of context in this equation...

Situational Awareness, in this context, meaning the game, isn't just you being able to gain vision on something... in this context it's hundreds of more things. It's things you can see and can't see. It's your geographical location. It's "possibilities" you have to think about, being aware about... things you can't see but could still be possible/present... come the fuck on... seriously.

And I'm the one having an agenda / pushing a narrative... whatever floats your boat, dude.

• Like 1

prax85    45
18 minutes ago, InsightKnight said:

Im laughing my ass off. :) Thanks for that.

That's called nervous laughter. It's a defense mechanism.

ZombieRommel    88

Many people in this thread are conflating "peripheral vision" with being able to see 180 degrees behind them without moving and around corners without ever exposing their head or eyes.

"Peripheral vision" is NOT the same as having eyes in the back of your head or being able to see 5 feet to either side of you around obstructions that are directly in your face.

The ability to peek around objects without exposing the player model's hitbox to harm directly favors campers.  

It is, essentially, unlimited observation without any exposure necessary.

The fact that people can see around cover means that many real life tactics are far more dangerous than they otherwise should be.  For example, let's say I am doing battle with a tree camper.  I pop out of cover to throw a grenade at him.  In real life, he can't see me popping out to throw the nade.  End result --> he is grenaded and dies.

Result in PUBG?  He pops out from behind the tree to kill me while I am tossing the nade, because he can monitor my every move despite his face being 0.5 inches away from the tree.

• Like 4

impulse 101    46

On 5/23/2017 at 0:55 AM, Tykjen said:

If you dont like it you can just go play battlefield or cod. Oh yay.

Parrot. I can list a hundred other first-person only games I own. Particularly tired of them.

Desirsar    13
On 5/23/2017 at 0:41 AM, prax85 said:

Maybe you should've thought about your "supposed" argument in third-person so you would've seen that it's not a good one. But I give you two points for trying hard to look witty and snappy.

Because I have to talk down to you because you're not getting a very, very simple concept.  You can see more in your field of vision in real life than can be reasonably displayed in a game on a monitor narrower than that field of vision.  Third person view is meant to make up for some of that awareness lost because of the restricted FOV.  No, it's not the same, it's as good as it can get without forcing the game to VR only. 

Games can either choose to force first person, and give other forms of situational awareness (hit indicators and radar are the most common), or they can use third person, or a combination of those.  In this case, the developers likely went with a game design they would prefer to play themselves, and it's one that is somewhat accessible to newer players and will be reasonably successful, even if the "hardcore" players "take their ball and go home."  Even without that niche of players, the game will still do well, will still be popular for competitive gaming, and will still be all over the streaming sites, and no one enjoying this particular game is going to be wishing the devs would go out of their way to attract that niche back.

We already know we're getting a first person game mode, and I have no doubt a few players will be very loud about forcing people into those queues when it turns out the majority stay in the third person games.  I'd definitely put my money on the devs ignoring those loud few, and leaving them to the empty game mode that they begged for.