Sign in to follow this  
Shepherd

Camera Improvements/Shoulder Switching

Shepherd    7

Hello PU community I would like to share my opinion about shoulder view in BG .

Over the games i've played the past 3 weekends there wasn't much that I felt was wrong or missing in your game , excluding what you already changed/are planning to change , except one thing , changing shoulder view *without aiming* . I have been playing alot of TPS games since I am like 10 back when the 2nd socom came out on PS2 and I just feel like something is wrong when I have to aim to change the shoulder view as i'm checking the corners on my left it feels very awkward I'm not sure if it was unintentional/you didn't deem it nescessary/still working on the feature but honestly I am surprised that there isn't more people asking about it . Not only does it feel awkward but a couple of times that I switched over my view while aiming to peak a corner then just finished fighting or just went on my way and happened not to aim for a couple minutes I forgot that my aim was still switched over and then got into another fight and died as a result . While I understand that it is primarly my fault for forgetting obviously , I still feel like something better could be done because in my eyes shoulder view switching in a TPS is mandatory and shouldn't require you to aim to do so

Thank you

• Like 5

Crowii    197

Well this was an interesting first person, welcome to the forums Shepherd.

I've wondered if there's a way to change your shoulder aim without having to ADS in first person too, it's a little unsettlingly because when you do aim and switch shoulders your character stands normally for you, though on other players screens you're (understandably) leaning to the side you're looking over shoulder.

I can't see why double-tapping alt can't be used, after all, alt is the free-view key, makes sense to assign something like a shoulder chance to a view related key without remapping it and getting rid of the 360 view option.

I like this suggestion, +1

• Like 1

IamConor-    5

hi i just tested this for ya if you just tap Q or E the next time you aim you will be aiming over the shoulder of the last button you pressed but you need to be aiming to actually look over the shoulder but to actually switch you don't need to be aiming so in essence what you are suggesting already exists i would agree that i would be cool for the camera to shift slightly to the left of right while third and not aiming to get a better indicator/view of left and right of the cover you are on but the third person camera (as of now) is pretty generous in your ability to see over walls and around corners. Another note if you are against a cover that wouldn't allow you too look down the opposite shoulder for example if you were up against a left wall and you wanted the look over your right shoulder the cameras automatically adjusts to your left i hope i'm not misunderstanding but i think this is what you mean sorry if not! :D

yeah you can lean the direction you want the camera to go to when pressing ADS, but you dont know if it will go there untill you press ADS, I have a habbit of testing and checking which side my camera is on when going into ADS.

Its annoying and I wish we could naturally change the camera shoulder while not in ADS, so when I press lean to the left without anything else I would like my camera to be on the left hand side so I know when I ADS its going to that side.

Have only 1 side Camera in Classic view is very annoying when you are trying to work a left hand corner or of a tree because your character blocks you.

Shepherd    7
Posted (edited)

Yea I understand what you mean conor but I was mostly talking about switching your TPS view from right to left without having to aim or lean or nothing as example in APB you can switch your shoulder view from right to left at the press of a button everything will be done the same . I'm not sure I explain it well enough but basicly what I am suggesting is simply a button that will make your view go from right to left that's the only thing that will change . If you then zoom in to aim it will zoom on that side just like if you switched shoulder view side as you aim in BG atm but instead of switching after zooming in you'd switch before . That way you can easily cover left side corners of whatever cover you are using . APB is the first example that came to mind but there are multiple TPS games that use this feature and since BG is also using it but only as you zoom in I assume it can be done rather easily without aiming but maybe i'm wrong

And for you noontimedrunk that is pretty much what I also want , to be able to switch shoulder view side without aiming down side and by doing that you will always know which side it will be once you do zoom in to aim . But then maybe some people will argue that it is useful to be able to switch as you're aiming if you're having a fight against someone peaking different sides of a tree for example it did happen to me once or twice in the games i've played . So both sides have advantages and I wonder if it would be possible to have both mechanics in at the same time .

Edited by Shepherd
  • Like 1

Ehlak    0

Yea switching shoulders should absolutely be allowed when not holidng down the aim button. Just like you can in any other TPS that allows shoulder switching.

Switching shoulder while holding down the button only to have it go back when you release feels very awkward and unintuitive.

I would also prefer just a single keybind to toggle between left and right, instead of using Q and E.

15 hours ago, Shepherd said:

Yea I understand what you mean conor but I was mostly talking about switching your TPS view from right to left without having to aim or lean or nothing as example in APB you can switch your shoulder view from right to left at the press of a button everything will be done the same . I'm not sure I explain it well enough but basicly what I am suggesting is simply a button that will make your view go from right to left that's the only thing that will change . If you then zoom in to aim it will zoom on that side just like if you switched shoulder view side as you aim in BG atm but instead of switching after zooming in you'd switch before . That way you can easily cover left side corners of whatever cover you are using . APB is the first example that came to mind but there are multiple TPS games that use this feature and since BG is also using it but only as you zoom in I assume it can be done rather easily without aiming but maybe i'm wrong

And for you noontimedrunk that is pretty much what I also want , to be able to switch shoulder view side without aiming down side and by doing that you will always know which side it will be once you do zoom in to aim . But then maybe some people will argue that it is useful to be able to switch as you're aiming if you're having a fight against someone peaking different sides of a tree for example it did happen to me once or twice in the games i've played . So both sides have advantages and I wonder if it would be possible to have both mechanics in at the same time .

I have issues around trees mainly because 1 there is really bad gun blocking around then and its really hard to lean switch camera on the fly just for your camera to go from WIde left then clicking ADS or even Scope and you lose your spotting so easily.

Vajranoid    0

Following situaiton: I was inside a shed after being revived. An enemy was outside the shed reloading. i went out and  moved around the corner and stood with my back against the wall of the shed while aiming at him. At this moment I saw my head filling the wole monitor but not my crosshair! I was unable to kill the reloading guy cause i could just not aim. A second later he killed me! This would hve been an easy kill but the camera was totaly weird in that moment.

p.s.:

Also can you please allow us to prone when we are directly standing at a wall? It takes time and highers risks to step back before we can prone! Well in generall everytthing needs to feel just smoother but priority has the camera views while aiming plus the wall glitch thing! And why do we have to wait a second before we can enter a car? Make the "F" to enter the car visible when its ready to enter at least!!!! otherwise people enter and leave and enter the car again.

Phyne    68

I don't really see any solutions to the camera problem that the devs could implement. The camera needs to not clip through walls. You can adjust in situations such as these by toggling into first person.

I like the proning idea.

You have to be stationary before you can enter a vehicle. Any extra delay is simply lag/desync and is hopefully eliminated in future patches. Stop completely next to the vehicle, then just press F once.

Vajranoid    0

well if its always desync entering a vehicle or collecting a weapon then its a permanent thing in my game. At the moment I am already not playing it because some shots don't even hit the enemy. I also get hits after I am already 3 meters around the edge of a building.

Aiiiiiiiii    88
13 minutes ago, Vajranoid said:

well if its always desync entering a vehicle or collecting a weapon then its a permanent thing in my game. At the moment I am already not playing it because some shots don't even hit the enemy. I also get hits after I am already 3 meters around the edge of a building.

Happens to all of us. If you're playing on the EU server then try NA. They are generally a lot smoother

mart1n1    136
On 5/5/2017 at 11:26 AM, Vajranoid said:

Following situaiton: I was inside a shed after being revived. An enemy was outside the shed reloading. i went out and  moved around the corner and stood with my back against the wall of the shed while aiming at him. At this moment I saw my head filling the wole monitor but not my crosshair! I was unable to kill the reloading guy cause i could just not aim. A second later he killed me! This would hve been an easy kill but the camera was totaly weird in that moment.

p.s.:

Also can you please allow us to prone when we are directly standing at a wall? It takes time and highers risks to step back before we can prone! Well in generall everytthing needs to feel just smoother but priority has the camera views while aiming plus the wall glitch thing! And why do we have to wait a second before we can enter a car? Make the "F" to enter the car visible when its ready to enter at least!!!! otherwise people enter and leave and enter the car again.

hi, i think i just ran into this issue... it's probably related to pulling your chute early, as me and some others have noticed in this thread.

http://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/13468-third-person-camera-bug-as-of-week-5-update/#

On 5/5/2017 at 4:16 PM, Vajranoid said:

H1Z1 was like this in the beginning it took forever to pick up stuff and open doors and get in vehicles. Then all of the sudden it was fixed. Im sure its no a connection problem.

Topango    0

It's a good thing that you can switch shoulder camera position and thus being able to switch the crosshair from right to left position back and forth, as it is manadatory for the gameflow in 3rd person games.

Now in Battlegrounds all players are righties and from the gameplay standpoint right hand corners are prefered to left hand corner, since even if you switch to the left position the characters weapon remains in his right hand. Thus the weapon peaking out faster on the right than it does on the left side. This creates a barrier for the gameflow imo

My suggestion would be to equalize both sides, so the the weapon pokinghas the same timing on both sides. In games like APB: Reloaded or even ME: Andromeda characters visually switch the weapons between hands while switching the crosshair position. With this every corner would be equal and every participant would get left hand combat training, just as they recently learned to climb.

Thanks for reading.

flagfox    1

Can we switch shoulder camera out of the aiming mode for the love of god? It's SO frustrating TO NOT BE ABLE TO DO SO AND BEING FORCED TO GO IN AIM MODE ( threfore moving slowly) in order to be able to do so.

• Like 1

impulse 101    46

HOLD your right mouse button while using third-person. It is different than clicking the right mouse button once.

Once holding the right mouse button, then press your Q or E lean keys to switch shoulder.

flagfox    1

Sorry wasn't really explicit. Was writing it as I was playing and almost died in the precess because of the lack of option like the one I'm requiring with this post.

Basically when you are playing in 3rd person mode there is no way for you to switch the camera side unless you hold right mouse and then use Q to switch the side of the camera. What I basically want, is to be able to do that in the default 3rd person mode as well and not only why holding right mouse.

am I making sens now?

Bion    42
2 hours ago, flagfox said:

Sorry wasn't really explicit. Was writing it as I was playing and almost died in the precess because of the lack of option like the one I'm requiring with this post.

Basically when you are playing in 3rd person mode there is no way for you to switch the camera side unless you hold right mouse and then use Q to switch the side of the camera. What I basically want, is to be able to do that in the default 3rd person mode as well and not only why holding right mouse.

am I making sens now?

While I do agree that it is annoying, there is reason to it. Almost every gun is made to be shouldered on the right side. Thus, the camera is "over the shoulder" that the gun is on. Hence, when leaning in 3rd person, the left lean seems to feel a bit more clunky, or reveals a bit more of your body.

Reason being, if you shoulder a weapon to the left, your face is going to be pelted by the casings. Granted, this isn't the case with everything, it does apply to most.

5Across    95

It takes me literally a quarter of a second to hold RMB, press Q or E and release.. literally a 1/4 of a second. You don't have to fully shoulder the gun, just hold long enough to press the lean button.

flagfox    1

@Bion the thing is I literaaly just need it to have a beter camera angle on my left side really. So many game do it I still don't understand why this one only does it halfway....

@5Across Takes me a quarter of a second too but that' not the point dude. the point is I want to be able to have the camera angle to stay on the left side or switch on the right side whenever I feel like it and for as long as I need it to without having to press the right Mouse button and stay in that aiming stance. SO that you or I can be fast at toggling it doesn't matter in regard to what I need it for.

when i hold the 3rd person  click down i keep expecting the vision to be the other side but its the opposite and feels hella weird. intentional or not it feels alot better on the other side. 

Ky-Zo    44

you can press Q + E to switch the 3rd person 'over the shoulder' view.

• Like 1

Schlitzy    7

True, but I've also noted that in some games, the view gets skewed and off to one side and you can't change it.  If it's stuck on the right, and you hit Q, it basically kind of zooms in to the center and doesn't swing over the the left shoulder.

On 5/25/2017 at 5:25 PM, Ky-Zo said:

you can press Q + E to switch the 3rd person 'over the shoulder' view.

the default shoulder view isnt set on the right side. im saying i dont wanna have to switch the shoulder view every game.