Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BattleOoze

Dell's "plug-in cheats"

Taken from: https://www.pcauthority.com.au/news/intels-new-8th-gen-mobile-monsters-and-some-new-desktop-cpus-488239

DELL IS BEST FOR CHEATING, SAYS DELL

As an aside, I'm writing this during Dell's launch of its 8th-gen laptops and something just a bit jaw-dropping is going down. The Account Director and assigned spokesperson for Dell's gaming range, Sally Zhang, is giving the presentation about the new gaming laptops and has talked for at least five minutes about how "plugins" (cheats) demand greater CPU power in the game "Chicken Dinner" (PUBG).

She spoke of how Chinese gamers are the most innovative and dominant in the world by using "plugins" to, for example, run faster than other players, or blow up ten cars at a time, and that these top gamers can really use 8th-Gen power to "run more plugins to win more at Chicken Dinner", and that the top players run the most 'plugins' so that's where 8th-gen Dell power gives them the gamer's edge. Behind her a video proudly shows various cheats in PUBG in action (they really like the one with the massively oversized gun and show that a lot), with the new Dell gaming laptops shown every few seconds while Sally told us that gamers should buy a Dell because they're better at running many plugins. Wow.

I mean.... Sure, this needs corroboration, but I forsee "Region lock China" morphing into "CPU lock Dell"

I cant wait for another FPP BR to take over.  This is just beyond stupid. 

Cry about xenophobic all you want. That shit wouldnt happen in the western world. Executive boasting about their CPU can run more cheaters. 

5 minutes ago, datafunk said:

links to this launch video?

Exactly this.

There are next to no search results for "Sally Zangh Dell" that lend any credibility to this claim, and only link back to this same article, or other sites saying the same thing - none of which i would consider credible information sources (one of them was simply reporting the news of the above site as news) 

So until this has some sort of credibility, this is total horseshit.

2 minutes ago, Wzn said:

Cry about xenophobic all you want. That shit wouldnt happen in the western world. Executive boasting about their CPU can run more cheaters. 

It seems you might believe everything you read without making sure the information is correct or reliable

With that in mind, I would just like to let you know that I am a Nigerian prince that needs to move some money out of my country...

Just now, Takarii said:

It seems you might believe everything you read without making sure the information is correct or reliable

With that in mind, I would just like to let you know that I am a Nigerian prince that needs to move some money out of my country...

Cool. Paypal or Moneygram?

Just now, Wzn said:

Cash would be best

10 minutes ago, Wzn said:

I highly suspect that article is bs, and Dell is an American company, so technically is in the western world .

I would be very happy to find out this is false. Hopefully will more eyes out looking for this we can find out if it's true or not.

1 hour ago, Takarii said:

Exactly this.

There are next to no search results for "Sally Zangh Dell" that lend any credibility to this claim, and only link back to this same article, or other sites saying the same thing - none of which i would consider credible information sources (one of them was simply reporting the news of the above site as news) 

So until this has some sort of credibility, this is total horseshit.

This!!!! Although it makes no difference because it will be taken as factual and will be on every forum already...

I've contacted the author of the post I linked to and asked them for more evidence. If I get a reply I will post here.

Something is allegedly advertised at a Dell launch and an obscure techy writer from Australia (Ben Mansill) is the only one who heard it. He wrote the article on 4 April on the website listed, a website where David Hollingworth is listed as the managing editor. I can only find the allegation on one other website (site withheld for obvious reasons), but the article on that website was written by David Hollingworth today.

So only one writer heard it and only one editor cares to publish it.... twice!! Can you smell the Bulls***??? Awaiting news of lawsuits to follow, but I fear that the damage is already done...

PC Authority is a pretty well established magazine/site in Aus.  Cant speak to the writer or anything to do with the story though.

57 minutes ago, Freshenmeyer said:

PC Authority is a pretty well established magazine/site in Aus.  Cant speak to the writer or anything to do with the story though.

He's not exactly obscure in Aus, been around for a while as a gaming/tech journalist here (I've read his reviews on gear many times before)...

But it's very odd that only one Aussie tech journo (and his editor) has reported this though, can't really see something this big not being immediately blasted from the hilltops by other journos with more international reach/cred immediately.

If true it's a massive, massive issue and would be a major PR disaster for a company like Dell with western gaming communities... until its corroborated by another site not linked to Ben or David I'm taking this with a grain of salt... maybe it was a translation issue? Maybe it was made up completely for some extra hits?

also why bury the lede so deep in the original article? That is literally the major story of the entire launch coverage if true and it's like three quarters of the way down the article after a bunch of technical coverage on the new gen laptops?

Seriously, I thought I'd been linked to the wrong article when I started to read it...  blah blah 11 new CPU's, blah blah some overclocking info, blah blah thermal velocity boost, blah faster wifi blah better optane blah new chipsets and bit of fluff on how Chinese students most valuable purchase is a gaming laptop and then BAM "oh yeah dell is best best for cheats according to dell"

Something seems fishy to me.

8 hours ago, Wzn said:

BPs bro, I need to get more crates

1 hour ago, pizzaman said:

BPs bro, I need to get more crates

I am told that that is the way to get rich in a hurry.... :P 

I can't say I'm surprised. We in the western world really don't appreciate the Chinese culture. This is what they do. It's considered normal to cheat, to try and "beat the system", or to not comply with rules and regulations. 

I fully suspect is a product of living under communist rule. I've spoken to many Chinese who say the same thing. There are two economies in China. The one in which you comply with the communist authorities, then the economy in which you do everything you can under the table to flout the rules and get ahead by any means. 

Sure there are Chinese who play by the rules, but there are also 1.379 billion of them and a significant portion don't have the same values as the western world. Somehow though, PUBG Corp thinks we should all get along famously!

Hey all, David Hollingworth here, Editor of PCPowerPlay and the writer of one of the articles.

So, for those wanting some photos, here are some pics from the event posted on another site:

https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1115334.html

We didn't get pics because this Dell event was part of a much larger Intel-sponsored event, launching their new processors, of which Ben Mansill was Intel's guest - and he was also the only Western journo present. This is why, I think, it's not gotten a lot of traction elsewhere.

We're an Australian site, but for events like this we're part of the Asian market. There would have been similar events in Europe and the US, but I don't imagine Dell went with this marketing line in those events. We really just lucked out. 

As to Sally's name, Zhang is the surname supplied to Ben by Dell's PR, so I've no idea what's going on there :)

Anyhoo, I'm following up with some local Dell contacts today. Any other questions, ask away!

D.

Just now, DavidH said:

Hey all, David Hollingworth here, Editor of PCPowerPlay and the writer of one of the articles.

So, for those wanting some photos, here are some pics from the event posted on another site:

https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1115334.html

We didn't get pics because this Dell event was part of a much larger Intel-sponsored event, launching their new processors, of which Ben Mansill was Intel's guest - and he was also the only Western journo present. This is why, I think, it's not gotten a lot of traction elsewhere.

We're an Australian site, but for events like this we're part of the Asian market. There would have been similar events in Europe and the US, but I don't imagine Dell went with this marketing line in those events. We really just lucked out. 

As to Sally's name, Zhang is the surname supplied to Ben by Dell's PR, so I've no idea what's going on there :)

Anyhoo, I'm following up with some local Dell contacts today. Any other questions, ask away!

D.

Anyway you can get specifics as to what Dell is offering exactly? Built in aimbots? Wallhacks?

3 minutes ago, bruv-mang said:

Anyway you can get specifics as to what Dell is offering exactly? Built in aimbots? Wallhacks?

Their spiel was more about how the new processors let you run more 'plug-ins'. There's no inherent hacks built in, so far as we know.

Just now, DavidH said:

Their spiel was more about how the new processors let you run more 'plug-ins'. There's no inherent hacks built in, so far as we know.

Oh okay, I misunderstood what you were saying. Thanks.

how long until this blows up because this is retarded. 

i kind of hope this forces them to actually try and do something about chinese hackers.

Blue hole, bullshit like this cannot stand. They are blatantly advertising how to get more cheats running at one time. Lock this region to itself and let them cheat agaisnt each other to their hearts content. This makes me furious. I will not support Dell.