Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baota

How does the zeroing/scopes work?

Are scopes zeroed differently even though it says 100m? I feel like even if i compensate for shooting far or close, it doesn't make sense like in H1Z1 or A3BR. It's like the shots have their own free will sometimes, like a random pattern it takes and it might as well start with a shot that is programmed to not go straight.

Example; i use x4 scope on my AKM and i aim at a player 30 meters away, at this point i want to aim Lower than where i want the shot to land because the scope is zeroed at 100m, So i aim for his lower torso but the shots lands far down in to the ground below him. And if i shoot straight at his head instead, the shots will go far above as i initially thought it would. So it doesn't feel like you can compensate for the scoped zeroing manually, hence why i only use the holosight now. I never have to compensate for lenght no matter if its 50 or 500 meter, i just shoot straight and hit a lot of shots with this method.

The problem might as well be on my side with an issue in judging distance correctly, guess it's all about practice but i've put down thousands of hours in h1 and arma 3 br and never came across this issue before. The distance of sounds and the compensation for bulletdrop has always been a thing i grasp quickly with these games. But here it feels slightly harder.

I know what you mean, sometimes I feel also like there are some problems with zeroing. For example, today I shot some bullets with the AWM (100m zeroed) on somebody, but didn't hit him, so I switched to 200m, but again I didn't hit so I switched back to 100m and suddenly I did hit him. It seems a little bit random sometimes... 

It's very frustrating, especially when you go for the airdrop and can't hit anybody with the sniper even though you've aimed perfectly.

But it's still Open Beta and there are more important things now.

16 minutes ago, Wolfgang Petry said:

I know what you mean, sometimes I feel also like there are some problems with zeroing. For example, today I shot some bullets with the AWM (100m zeroed) on somebody, but didn't hit him, so I switched to 200m, but again I didn't hit so I switched back to 100m and suddenly I did hit him. It seems a little bit random sometimes... 

It's very frustrating, especially when you go for the airdrop and can't hit anybody with the sniper even though you've aimed perfectly.

But it's still Open Beta and there are more important things now.

Sorry for my poor evaluation of the problem, but you seem to have experienced the same issue.

26 minutes ago, Tehsunman said:

Well hopefully having a shooting range will help clarify a lot of this

yeah. I dont know if I should hate or love the 4x.

the 15x one though! :x

Just now, Saloman said:

yeah. I dont know if I should hate or love the 4x.

the 15x one though! :x

you can inspect your enemies earcanals with it before you shoot them 500m away.

4 minutes ago, Tehsunman said:

I've never seen it. My life is incomplete now...

Here it is!

Spoiler: in the next frame he isn't there 

pang.png

Hi all, 

the 4x needs to be zeroed to 300m in order to work properly. If done, the central intersection of the lines are 300m, the top of the chevron are 100m, the inner point of the chevron are 200m. Other distances are labeled accordingly. 

Since I can't edit my above post anymore, here's some more explainin:

Hi all, 

the 4x needs to be zeroed to 300m in order to work properly. If done, the central intersection of the lines are 300m, the top of the chevron are 100m, the inner point of the chevron are 200m. See this graphic for reference:

Trijicon-FAQ-Chevron-Bullet-Drop-Chart.g

You can also estimate the distance to the target with this reticle.The width of the chevron's bottom is the width of a normal sized person at 300m. The horizontal lines below at 400, 500, 600, etc are respective widths at those distances.

The 15x works a bit different, it's a mildot-reticle. It lets you calculate the distance to your target at longer ranges. You take the height of your target in meters (let's assume a person is 1.8m in height) and divide it by the number of dots the person covers. Then multiply the result by 1000.
Example: A target covers 3.5 mildots. We assume a 1.8m tall person and divide the 1.8m by the 3.5 mildots he/she covers. 1.8 / 3.5 = 0.51~. Multiplied by 1000 gives us a distance to target of around 510m.
Now you can zero your 15x to 500.

Don't forget that you also have to compensate for elevation differences. If your target is higher than you, you need to aim a bit higher than normal.

21 minutes ago, qwasder said:

Hi all, 

the 4x needs to be zeroed to 300m in order to work properly. If done, the central intersection of the lines are 300m, the top of the chevron are 100m, the inner point of the chevron are 200m. See this graphic for reference:

You can also estimate the distance to the target with this reticle.The width of the chevron's bottom is the width of a normal sized person at 300m. The horizontal lines below at 400, 500, 600, etc are respective widths at those distances.

The 15x works a bit different, it's a mildot-reticle. It lets you calculate the distance to your target at longer ranges. You take the height of your target in meters (let's assume a person is 1.8m in height) and divide it by the number of dots the person covers. Then multiply the result by 1000.
Example: A target covers 3.5 mildots. We assume a 1.8m tall person and divide the 1.8m by the 3.5 mildots he/she covers. 1.8 / 3.5 = 0.51~. Multiplied by 1000 gives us a distance to target of around 510m.

Don't forget that you also have to compensate for elevation differences. If your target is higher than you, you need to aim a bit higher than normal.

Well said and well thought out. 

4 hours ago, qwasder said:

Hi all, 

Nice. Going to test that, since I have a few problems with the 4x scope myself (I always shoot over the heads). 

Now I only need an excel sheet or a calculator to get the shots right with the 15x. NICE :D 

Why the fuck is there no tutorial for stuff like that ingame? How do you know that?

Like your post, that is a major help for me. 

PUBG Absurdity

3 hours ago, Daishi_Ger said:

What is the best way to calculate the distance to the target? Any hints?

Without the use of a scope?

4 hours ago, qwasder said:

Without the use of a scope?

To use a scope I must know how far away is the enemy ...So, I must take a guess? Or is there a indicator on the scope, I did'nt recognised?

One of the things this game does right is that bullet drop is pretty minimal over small differences like between 100m and 200m. Depending on the ammo you usually only have a drop of a couple inches with real bullets. The aiming seems to have a few bugs still in the game so most close range shots seem to be going high if you aim at the head, people are saying chin shots are the way to go.

There aren't a ton of instances where you have the opportunity to shoot over 500 meters or so, but most of the time you'll be under 300 meters which makes bullet drop a minor issue unless your target is prone or you want to guarantee a headshot. I'll assume most people weren't Forward Observers so some handy but time consuming tips for estimating distance: any sights that have mil markings can be used to estimate distance by knowing that 1 mil is 1 meter at 1000m distance, so a standing target at 500m would be about 3.5-4 mils tall (if I'm doing my math correctly) and they'd encompass more mils at closer ranges, you can also just use the map to find range if you know where both you and the enemy are because the map is broken into 1000m blocks and the minimap is broken into 100m blocks.

On 30.4.2017 at 6:17 PM, Daishi_Ger said:

To use a scope I must know how far away is the enemy ...So, I must take a guess? Or is there a indicator on the scope, I did'nt recognised?

As mentioned, the 4x and 15x lets you estimate the distance to target. I don't remember what the 8x looks like, but it probably has something similar aswell.

If they're using ballistics based on real-world data, the guns will have different bullet arc based on the ammo and barrel length. Realistically, "zeroing" the sight for a given distance should make the sight accurate at that distance, but it would also affect the offset for point-of-aim at other distances. The BDC markings on a scope are also dependent on the ammo and barrel length.