Kingtman161

Why single fire? Single fire hell

Just today I ran into a building, picked up an UMP as the other guy picked up a pistol. I  had to single tap him to death because I didn't have the time to change to auto. It would have been so much easier to mow him down if it was set to auto.

Also, Americans have killed more Americans with guns than have died in all the wars Americans have had. But hey it is what they want (well it is what a minority want who are prepared to pay their politicians). So leave them to it. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Freeze338 said:

-- And every single weapon there is one thing never changes.  When you switch after the safety mode there is always single fire mode comes next.  Then auto fire follows it if there is no burst mode. --

But why is my AK set to single fire :( AK fire selector has full auto first then single. 

22 hours ago, Freeze338 said:

Have you ever used AR or SMG in real life? When you used your weapon you switch it to the safety mode. And every single weapon there is one thing never changes.  When you switch after the safety mode there is always single fire mode comes next.  Then auto fire follows it if there is no burst mode. That is the exact logic behind that.  MP5 or UMP is perfect example to show it so I'll show you MP5 on picture to explain that.

images (9).jpeg

The realism argument on this is completely backwards.

If you're going to bring up how real weapons work, you should at least acknowledge the fact that none of them have a "cycle through modes" button. And the most commonly used mode is usually the easiest to switch to like on the image you provided and it never requires you to look at it (and you are wrong on single fire always being first after safety, e.g. on AK-47 auto is first after safety, while single-fire is in the last, easiest to access, position). The fact that you have to look down onto the HUD to check what mode the gun is is not only not realistic, but rather the opposite. And accidentally putting a weapon into a wrong firing mode because you thought it was on single fire when you picked it up is something that would never happen in the real world because there are no 'cycle modes' buttons on real guns.

Also, if this had anything at all to do with developers trying to mimic how you need to switch guns off safety, there would have just been an actual safety mode on the guns. Otherwise, all single fire weapons like DMRs or pistols don't have safety on them or what? Why do these guns come fully ready while others require you to perform the same chore every time you pick them up? No sense whatsoever.

If your goal is maximum realism, current way is absolutely not what you want. You have only two routes: separate key binding for every firing mode or two keys that go through modes in opposite directions (one towards auto and one towards single fire) and don't cycle around. And in my opinion, either of these would not only be more realistic than the current system, but also much better in every way as long as you have the spare button(s).

I do not believe there is any even remotely solid arguments against the fact that the current way it works is just clearly sub optimal. There is no evidence to suggest that there are any reasons for it to be the way it is other than that it's simply the way it's been from the beginning without any thought ever put into it by the developers.

There are two ways for this to be improved, both of which are extremely trivial to implement:

1. Additional keybindings as described above.

The two approaches can be combined together and the beauty of this is that all 5 new key bindings can be added as completely optional similar to how we have separate "Jump" and "Vault" keys that can be used alongside the "Jump or Vault" key. So no learning would be required from the players. The new key bindings would look like this:

• Switch to Single Fire
  • Switch to Burst Fire
  • Switch to Automatic Fire
  • Switch towards Single Fire
  • Switch towards Automatic Fire

This would eliminate the need to look down at HUD when switching fire modes. And it is always better to spend more time in the game's world than in its UI elements.

2. Set automatic guns to auto by default.

Whenever you pick them up. No matter how the previous owner left it. Slightly less realistic, but similar to how the game remembers your scope settings now (aka which 'red-dot' you prefer). Less useful than the first way, but also even easier to implement. With this one it can be said that it does lower the skill cap a little bit by having one less thing to worry about when picking up a gun in a hurry, but I'd argue calling this a skill is just rubbish. All that single fire default really brings to the game is repetitive 'chore' activity. Some guns like Vector and Uzi are practically never used in anything but full-auto so having to cycle them towards auto all the time feels the stupidest.

Obviously, both improvements can be used together.

2 hours ago, The_Goblin_King said:

Also, Americans have killed more Americans with guns than have died in all the wars Americans have had. But hey it is what they want (well it is what a minority want who are prepared to pay their politicians). So leave them to it. 

Stop trolling a game forum with that bs.

Default firing mode should be a client sided option, and weapons picked up from other players should automatically switch to the default firing mode. Having a server sided firing mode is a waste of resources. Single, burst, and full-auto should have separate key bindings. Switching firing modes every single time is annoying, and unreliable in combat. Currently I can't just slide my finger across to make sure it's in a specific firing mode, I have to look away from the enemy. Hitting a key that is assigned to a specific mode would mean I can be assured that it's on that mode without looking away.

If walking was the same as the current firing mode mechanic, you would need to cycle through left, right, forward and back, with 1 key, and then use another to move in that direction. Good luck dodging a vehicle or parachuting onto roof.

yeah...because pressing B while the weapons are in loading animation is so difficult! gimme a break!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, red dot said:

I find it entertaining how jealous everyone is of "murica".

let me guess...you are europen?

I am very happy to be allowed to carry my guns with me. guarantee I will never be stabbed on a street by some habib!

This is a thing now. They hold the fire mode when shuffled around. You used to have to re set it. Pissed ppl off so they hooked it up to stay put. 

11 minutes ago, oil of olay said:

yeah...because pressing B while the weapons are in loading animation is so difficult! gimme a break!

The fact that you can do that is another indicator of how little attention firing mode selection got from the devs and how little it has to do with realism. I'm generally of an opinion that PUBG is too obsessed with the latter but switching modes during reload is not something I would expect to be able to do at all. So much so that I've never even tried to do it. It just doesn't make any sense.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, oil of olay said:

I always wait until after the reload to change modes. Always assumed it would cancel the reload. Thanks for the tip. 

1000+ hrs in game, finding helpful tips still. 

Edited by ZeroCool
  • Like 1

I moved my fire selector key becau seI was hitting B by accidenta when jumping or trying to crouch or something so now I have to hit H, so I just do that once at the start and dont have to worry about accidentally hitting the fire selection button and having a  surprise single fire ;)

5 hours ago, Ypho said:

But why is my AK set to single fire :( AK fire selector has full auto first then single. 

Safety - full auto - semi auto ? Interesting. Never used any .I've seen AK 12 only as AK series weapons. And it has the same safety single burst full auto in order. 

1 hour ago, ZeroCool said:

I always wait until after the reload to change modes. Always assumed it would cancel the reload. Thanks for the tip. 

1000+ hrs in game, finding helpful tips still. 

It will not switch firing modes while reloading. They added that garbage feature back in EA.

41 minutes ago, MrHappyPenguin said:

It will not switch firing modes while reloading. They added that garbage feature back in EA.

Conflicting information I guess I’ll have to test myself. I’m leaning your way as I’ve played a lot and always wait until I’m done loading to select fire mode. I’ll check it out tommorow in game. Thx. 

You see if the gun is Auto or Single on the bottom middle meno where you see the other equipment aswell. 
I was the same on the start, still happens few times, it´s called MECHANICS. 
You need to learn it as all the others did. :/

10 hours ago, MrHappyPenguin said:

Default firing mode should be a client sided option

Nope. If we go for realism, then default firing mode should be either 'safety on' (not even available so not an option) or random. Also each weapon should (realistically) have ammo in it and not automatically require loading.

Neither random nor pre-loaded will result in anything other than pure salt and cries of how the RNG is fucked up, so we end up with a fixed value that is fair for everyone. Making it a setting client side is actually 3 settings because the only common setting to all weapons is single fire.

10 hours ago, MrHappyPenguin said:

Single, burst, and full-auto should have separate key bindings

Yeah, sounds good, I can go for that. Maybe make that an option like they did with vaulting / jumping, where you can choose to have separate bindings or (in this case) stick with the sequential selector. What do you think?

Please let us set in our settings what fire mode we want as default. I always have to set it to automatic because I only use the automatic option. I tap fire for shooting single bullets. Now and then I forget to change it to automatic every time I start a new round or pick up a new weapon. Then I want to shoot an enemy and I forgot my weapon is on single shot by default and I die because of that.

First I am in the habit of automatically putting guns on auto fire as soon as I pick them up. 

But I understand what hes saying and think its a nice idea.

I also understand that its real to have safety then single then burst then auto, on real guns....

But its a game, and would be nice for the weapons picked up to be set to anything but single fire (auto preferably)

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2018 at 10:14 PM, Radix said:

Yes I am so jealous of your lack of free education or health care

I would much rather be approached with a knife and have a fighting chance rather than being shot 5 times in the back, wonder how your sidearm helps you then. This whole concept amazes me, this is some kind of nation wide case of group autism. If everyone has a gun then no one has advantage, you have a gun, great so does you adversary so what is the difference except that kids can shoot each other in schools?

We dont have guns in europe yet you dont hear " Another day another bullied kid went on stabbing rampage wounding 3 ( instead of 10 dead cose a kid with a knife wont do much better than that, go figure), if only there was a teacher or janitor with a gun that could blow his brains out!!)

I actually was approached once in my life with a knife and thats only because I was a drunk dipshit 20y old looking for trouble in worst part of town after midnight, it ended up in a fight and a small cut on my hand. If it was Murica I would be probably dead now or badly injured for life, and maybe 5 other bystanders, because guns make everything so much fucking better right?

During 28 years of my life I was only once approached with a knife and thats mostly on me anyway, not once I felt need for a gun or in hindsight wished I ever had any in any situation. And frankly I feel quite safe, since I know no one has the panicle of killing technology around me expect police as it should be.

And dont bring the "we are safe against government" bullshit because for past 100 years government was shoving shit down your throat and you didnt even flinch, latest case being the net neutrality, you did jackshit about that because you are just bunch of man children that need their guns to feel manly as per your propaganda. They dont serve a single purpose other than that, and to think that you are happy to give away kid's lives just so you can get a hard on each time you put your ego booster on your side. Disgusting.

we dont have guns in europe?  Wait what? What part of europe do you live in? There where 4 shooting in france last year leaving over 130 dead. France is part of Europe right?

edit: 4 mass shootings

Edited by Officer Ovaries
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, September_90 said:

First I am in the habit of automatically putting guns on auto fire as soon as I pick them up. 

But I understand what hes saying and think its a nice idea.

I also understand that its real to have safety then single then burst then auto, on real guns....

But its a game, and would be nice for the weapons picked up to be set to anything but single fire (auto preferably)

If I read you correctly, you are in the habit of pressing the fire mode button as soon as you pick up a weapon, thereby putting it into auto mode. Is that right? I do the same and it I don't even think about it, I just do it. Now, because some idiot can't come to terms with this, you and I need to un-learn our procedure. Why is this even being discussed? It is not a "nice idea", it is the perfect situation to say, "get gud!!". 

Because you know that the next thing will be auto -looting ammo and auto-fitting attachments because boohoo I can't do it properly and I get shot in the face every time.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, K@rm@ said:

If I read you correctly, you are in the habit of pressing the fire mode button as soon as you pick up a weapon, thereby putting it into auto mode. Is that right? I do the same and it I don't even think about it, I just do it. Now, because some idiot can't come to terms with this, you and I need to un-learn our procedure. Why is this even being discussed? It is not a "nice idea", it is the perfect situation to say, "get gud!!". 

Because you know that the next thing will be auto -looting ammo and auto-fitting attachments because boohoo I can't do it properly and I get shot in the face every time.

No you didn't read me correctly go to English classes!!! :D I stated clearly, Im in the habbit of putting guns on auto... never said firing  'auto fire' is auto mode...

Correction you did read me correctly, I didn't read you correctly fuck me I need to go to English classes! 

Yes you are right, next will be auto looting lol maybe allowing people to set there preferred settings for pick up on weapons would be useful?

Edited by September_90

3 minutes ago, K@rm@ said:

If I read you correctly, you are in the habit of pressing the fire mode button as soon as you pick up a weapon, thereby putting it into auto mode. Is that right? I do the same and it I don't even think about it, I just do it. Now, because some idiot can't come to terms with this, you and I need to un-learn our procedure.

No you wouldn't. If we add a system that actually works similar to how real guns work it wouldn't have to interfere with the way it currently is at all. And if we allow guns to be set to auto by default, we can make it as optional setting in the preferences.

Or what, are you afraid you will not be able to compete without noobs forgetting to set the gun on auto before fighting you?

2 minutes ago, September_90 said:

No you didn't read me correctly go to English classes!!! :D I stated clearly, Im in the habbit of putting guns on auto... never said firing  'auto fire' is auto mode

Yes, I did; you have just confirmed it. You put the weapon into auto mode when you pick it up. I do too. Now, about the rest of my question... why should we have to change our way of doing things because other people find it too difficult to do. You know that the habit we have of putting it into auto, will suddenly be a habit we have to break so we don't accidentally take it out of auto and put it back into single fire mode - again because some idiot can't quite grasp the skill?

1 minute ago, JonyTudeski said:

No you wouldn't. If we add a system that actually works similar to how real guns work it wouldn't have to interfere with the way it currently is at all. And if we allow guns to be set to auto by default, we can make it as optional setting in the preferences.

Or what, are you afraid you will not be able to compete without noobs forgetting to set the gun on auto before fighting you?

Go read my previous comments here: real guns would have a random setting, the possibility of a safety catch and would mostly have at least some ammo in them. Think that is ever going to happen? No, me neither.

So because some idiot hasn't grasped the skill of playing a game we now all need to drop down to his level? I see you very carefully left out the rest of my comment dealing with the noob who cannot pick up ammo and load the weapon or the noob who is too slow putting the attachments on his weapon so now we should have an option in the settings of letting the game do that too?

And from all of this, you very maturely read that the reason I am opposed to this is so I can have a better chance of owning noobs.... is this even an argument?

12 minutes ago, K@rm@ said:

Go read my previous comments here: real guns would have a random setting, the possibility of a safety catch and would mostly have at least some ammo in them. Think that is ever going to happen? No, me neither.

I suggest you start reading more carefully and stop strawmanning all over these forums. I never said we should simulate real guns to the last detail, nor is there any reason at all for you to bring it up other than to steer the conversation towards things that don't matter as you seem to enjoy doing.

The only reason I mentioned real guns is because the system I proposed just a few posts above is closer to the way real guns work than the current way. I'm sorry that I assumed people would actually read a thread that's less than 2 pages long before commenting and criticising other contributors.

44 minutes ago, K@rm@ said:

So because some idiot hasn't grasped the skill of playing a game we now all need to drop down to his level? I see you very carefully left out the rest of my comment dealing with the noob who cannot pick up ammo and load the weapon or the noob who is too slow putting the attachments on his weapon so now we should have an option in the settings of letting the game do that too?

Again, try reading more carefully. I very much addressed your part about noobs.

If you are calling stuff like this skill you must be working with some seriously low bar in front of you.

1 hour ago, K@rm@ said:

And from all of this, you very maturely read that the reason I am opposed to this is so I can have a better chance of owning noobs.... is this even an argument?

Only if you think pressing a single button every time you pick up an automatic weapon is a skill worth mentioning and designing the game around. Which very much suggests that you struggle mastering skills that are actually hard to master. So you want the game to allow you to outplay your opponents by doing something as primitive as getting your weapon to auto-fire faster. Because winning fights using actual combat skills is too hard for you.