7 minutes ago, sourlemons said:

I am not shitting you. I've saved the email/message I received with the reasoning behind it simply because I still cannot believe it.

It's not as though I spammed the inbox of the Mods with hundreds of posts. We had a forum member going on a tangent for over an hour, unchecked. I reported every message he posted that contravened the rules, as did multiple other users of these forums. For my dedication to bettering this environment I got a slap on the wrist.

Yeah it's a daft reason to give warnings no doubt. I would bet money it's not the normal way on here and you got dealt a bum deal. I didn't receive warnings for multiple reports of those Asian spam posts. 

1 hour ago, Shrek = Thanos said:

i got a warning the other day for calling someone a noob...

I've had a check at the warnings you received and neither of them where for calling anybody a noob.

19 minutes ago, sourlemons said:

And what does one do in my case? I still have yet to hear anyone other than the Mod who dished out the points explain the logic behind this decision... I CC'd you on the communication so you would be aware of what I'm speaking of.

I did not deal with any of the reports that you submitted so I can't comment on them.  I've seen this warning given out before for the exact same reason as it's classed as spamming the reports system.  This can (probably unintentionally) slow down the process of resolving the issue at hand.  The penalty for this type of infraction is very minimal resulting in temporary points that can last up to a few weeks on your profile.  If you do find someone breaking the rules we do encourage you use it but don't get carried away with reporting multiple posts from a user under one topic as it wastes both your time and ours.  Once a report is made we investigate the topic as a whole and review all comments related to that member then make a judgement on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, RACED said:

Yeah it's a daft reason to give warnings no doubt. I would bet money it's not the normal way on here and you got dealt a bum deal. I didn't receive warnings for multiple reports of those Asian spam posts. 

Weird.

1 minute ago, Andymh5 said:

I've had a check at the warnings you received and neither of them where for calling anybody a noob.

I did not deal with any of the reports that you submitted so I can't comment on them.  I've seen this warning given out before for the exact same reason as it's classed as spamming the reports system.  This (probably intentionally) can slow down the process of resolving the issue at hand.  The penalty for this type of infraction is very minimal resulting in temporary points that can last up to a few weeks on your profile.  If you do find someone breaking the rules we do encourage you use it but don't get carried away with reporting multiple posts from a user under one topic as it wastes both your time and ours.  Once a report is made we investigate the topic as a whole and review all comments related to that member then make a judgement on it.

How about we modify the rules then? Since the rules state the following:

Why not modify the statement: "If you think that someone is breaking the forum rules, please use the "report post" function to bring it to our attention. Do not try to take the law into your own hands by attacking the offender in any way. "

To actually reflect the unwritten rule you have just quoted me...

I get what you're saying, I understand it slows down the process. That's on YOU, the mods. Not me. I'm doing what you're asking me to do. Don't apply some arbitrary rules that are not written anywhere in the rules/faq section of this forum.

Andy, I respect you, I really do. But even you can admit that there's a fault here - this is an unwritten rule, and it should not be applied if  do not know this rule exists!!!! It doesn't matter that the points are temporary. You're holding me, and everyone else, depending on the day and who the mod is, to rules that are not known by anyone but you, the mods.

Nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Andymh5 said:

I did not deal with any of the reports that you submitted so I can't comment on them.  I've seen this warning given out before for the exact same reason as it's classed as spamming the reports system.  This (probably intentionally) can slow down the process of resolving the issue at hand.  The penalty for this type of infraction is very minimal resulting in temporary points that can last up to a few weeks on your profile.  If you do find someone breaking the rules we do encourage you use it but don't get carried away with reporting multiple posts from a user under one topic as it wastes both your time and ours.  Once a report is made we investigate the topic as a whole and review all comments related to that member then make a judgement on it.

Surely the more tactful approach would be to thank the user for reporting the posts in the first place and then kindly asking them to refrain from reporting the same user more than once rather than dishing out an infraction?

Im 38 and ive been a forumite since i was 15 or 16, been moderator on 2 vbulletin boards and currently co-own and administrate another vbulletin board - never once have i seen or heard of a user receiving an infraction for reporting rule breaches....... seems really petty to me.

Edited by Goofy The Scot
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sourlemons said:

How about we modify the rules then? Since the rules state the following:

Why not modify the statement: "If you think that someone is breaking the forum rules, please use the "report post" function to bring it to our attention. Do not try to take the law into your own hands by attacking the offender in any way. "

To actually reflect the unwritten rule you have just quoted me...

I get what you're saying, I understand it slows down the process. That's on YOU, the mods. Not me. I'm doing what you're asking me to do. Don't apply some arbitrary rules that are not written anywhere in the rules/faq section of this forum.

Andy, I respect you, I really do. But even you can admit that there's a fault here - this is an unwritten rule, and it should not be applied if  do not know this rule exists!!!! It doesn't matter that the points are temporary. You're holding me, and everyone else, depending on the day and who the mod is, to rules that are not known by anyone but you, the mods.

Nice.

I will feed back your comments to the team.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Goofy The Scot said:

Surely the more tactful approach would be to thank the user for reporting the posts in the first place and then kindly asking them to refrain from reporting the same user more than once rather than dishing out an infraction?

Im 38 and ive been a forumite since i was 15 or 16, been moderator on 2 vbulletin boards and currently co-own and administrate another vbulletin board - never once gave i seen or heard of a user receiving an infraction for reporting rule breaches....... seems really petty to me.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Andymh5 said:

I will feed back your comments to the team.  

Thank you for your time. I appreciate you taking the time to read my concerns and escalate it to the team.

We have had cases in the past where users have used the report system in an abusive manner.  Generally it has been to try and have action taken against another user who they were arguing with in other threads, the moderator in this case mistakenly warned you for this. I have removed the warning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Andymh5 said:

I did not deal with any of the reports that you submitted so I can't comment on them.  I've seen this warning given out before for the exact same reason as it's classed as spamming the reports system.  This can (probably unintentionally) slow down the process of resolving the issue at hand.  The penalty for this type of infraction is very minimal resulting in temporary points that can last up to a few weeks on your profile.  If you do find someone breaking the rules we do encourage you use it but don't get carried away with reporting multiple posts from a user under one topic as it wastes both your time and ours.  Once a report is made we investigate the topic as a whole and review all comments related to that member then make a judgement on it.

I need to know the limit on reporting posts as I have received a warning as well. I believe I reported 3-4 posts in less than 15 minutes. 1 was for the use of a racial slur and 2 were for spam threads and I received a warning. How is that fair? Not upset just want some clarification on this as it discourages us to report things if there are going to be repercussions for doing so.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PUBG_RoboDanjal said:

We have had cases in the past where users have used the report system in an abusive manner.  Generally it has been to try and have action taken against another user who they were arguing with in other threads, the moderator in this case mistakenly warned you for this. I have removed the warning. 

Thank you

10 minutes ago, PUBG_RoboDanjal said:

I appreciate you doing that.

However there should be some clarity on this subject. How many reports is too many? What is the limit? I'm asking for a "friend" 😀

Just now, sourlemons said:

However there should be some clarity on this subject. How many reports is too many? What is the limit? I'm asking for a "friend" 😀

I am that friend.

Just now, Pike_Hunter said:

I am that friend.

Yesssssssssssss, a friend! Hopefully one that won't TK me 🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, sourlemons said:

Yesssssssssssss, a friend! Hopefully one that won't TK me 🤣🤣🤣

I have not once done such a thing but have been on the receiving end of it twice.

40 minutes ago, Pike_Hunter said:

I need to know the limit on reporting posts as I have received a warning as well. I believe I reported 3-4 posts in less than 15 minutes. 1 was for the use of a racial slur and 2 were for spam threads and I received a warning. How is that fair? Not upset just want some clarification on this as it discourages us to report things if there are going to be repercussions for doing so.

33 minutes ago, sourlemons said:

Please do not report every single post the member makes but only on posts which are breaking the rules of the forum.  

Generally, once a post in a thread has been reported the rest of the thread will be looked at for quotes of the rule breaking post, and other posts which violate the forum rules. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PUBG_RoboDanjal said:

Please do not report every single post the member makes but only on posts which are breaking the rules of the forum.  

Generally, once a post in a thread has been reported the rest of the thread will be looked at for quotes of the rule breaking post, and other posts which violate the forum rules. 

Thanks for this. What about the limit on multiple threads? Say there are 4 threads by different users and they justify a report. Is there a time limit or report limit that flags us for a warning?

1 minute ago, Pike_Hunter said:

Thanks for this. What about the limit on multiple threads? Say there are 4 threads by different users and they justify a report. Is there a time limit or report limit that flags us for a warning?

I've reported 8 posts back to back when those Chinese spam post were there I never got a warning.

8 hours ago, Shrek = Thanos said:

Umm never, ill never give up arguing, they can ban me but ill be back....

They cant take away our banter no mater how much they want to...

At least he’s not telling everyone to be nice to the devs lol (I remember when I had one of those posts ^_^. My patience level was much higher is those weeks. 

26 minutes ago, Pike_Hunter said:

From @PUBG_RoboDanjal's post I'd interpret that as long as you only made a single report on an individual thread then there would be no repercussions for reporting multiple threads. 

Common sense would dictate though that if one user were posting multiple threads that warranted reporting, only reporting one thread would suffice. 

29 minutes ago, Pike_Hunter said:

Well from looking into your reports placed you decided to report every thread that asked about SA servers, none of which were actually breaking the rules for the forums. This is classified as abuse of the report system. 

• Haha 5

Just now, PUBG_RoboDanjal said:

Well from looking into your reports placed you decided to report every thread that asked about SA servers, none of which were actually breaking the rules for the forums. This is classified as abuse of the report system. 

LOL, and he just posted a thread which had no substance on the main page.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, PUBG_RoboDanjal said:

I thought I reported the 2-3 that were from the same fellow. If they were different folks then it was my mistake. I had also reported one from a fellow with a racial slur within a few minutes so I was not sure if that had anything to do with it.

4 hours ago, sourlemons said:

I got a warning for, and I'm not shitting you, reporting more than one individual post that contravened the rules of the forum. But since they all came from the same poster, I got penalized 5 points for reporting more than one post. As thought I'm supposed to know how mods go about dealing with reports....

"They were clearly derogatory and were handled accordingly. That said, threads where a post/user is being reported will be looked into as a whole. There is no need to basically create report spam by reporting each and every post the user has made after the initial infraction when one is enough to let the mods know that someone is being abusive or breaking some other rules."

I reported multiple posts, once only for each post. Apparently this is an unwritten rule on this site, because it isn't listed anywhere in the rules that are currently available to review.

Ditto. 

3 hours ago, Andymh5 said:

Unfortunately name calling can be classed as breaking the rules.  If someone is offended by what you write and creates a report it then has to be investigated and dealt with accordingly.  To avoid any more warnings you should ask yourself before posting if there is a possibility that what I'm going to write will offend somebody?  If there is any doubt I would not write it.  That then completely eliminates the chances of any punishment.

On a forum that basically amounts to saying nothing. That's not feasible but I get your meaning.