Sign in to follow this  
Groza

4K Monitor

Hey Guys I know I posted about this before but l a have a few questions about 4K monitors with the Xbox One X.

First off, do 4K HDR monitors really add input lag? Even if it has freesync? 

Also, does Xbox in general support freesync? I heard as of right now it only supports Freesync 2. 

Please let me know guys,

Dont hesitate to drop me suggestions on what monitor to buy. 

Thanks,

Groza

They can add input lag yes - If you have a decent HDMI cable and decent HDMI adaptors (if they are needed - a lot of monitors don't need them), the input lag is not often much of an issue.

Just make sure you are not going for a rock bottom price monitor, and make sure you are using the correct resolution setting.

Many monitors will give a rating for input, so you are looking for less than 30Ms i would say to avoid getting annoyed every two minutes

• Like 1

i would research freesync 2 and make sure if you decide that it's important that it's available via the hdmi port. my understanding though is that it is ment to help games in the 45-55 fps range seem more like 60 fps. also look at the return policy and maybe purchase 2 and return one after you try them both.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Delboytrotter said:

They can add input lag yes - If you have a decent HDMI cable and decent HDMI adaptors (if they are needed - a lot of monitors don't need them), the input lag is not often much of an issue.

Just make sure you are not going for a rock bottom price monitor, and make sure you are using the correct resolution setting.

Many monitors will give a rating for input, so you are looking for less than 30Ms i would say to avoid getting annoyed every two minutes

Ill probably go with a non HDR 4k monitor then. Since ill only be spending around $350-500. 

8 hours ago, ST6 Rawker said:

i would research freesync 2 and make sure if you decide that it's important that it's available via the hdmi port. my understanding though is that it is ment to help games in the 45-55 fps range seem more like 60 fps. also look at the return policy and maybe purchase 2 and return one after you try them both.

Do you know if Xbox One X only supports freesync 2?

On 6/5/2018 at 11:25 PM, Groza said:

Do you know if Xbox One X only supports freesync 2?

As I understand, FreeSync 2 is backwards compatible with FreeSync 1 monitors and you just miss out on the extra features added in the new version.

Anandtech has a nice article that explains FreeSync 2 features nicely.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Takarii said:

As I understand, FreeSync 2 is backwards compatible with FreeSync 1 monitors and you just miss out on the extra features added in the new version.

Anandtech has a nice article that explains FreeSync 2 features nicely.

Good to know. The only reason I was asking about if freesync 1.0 works on the xbox is because I have been hearing problems where you can choose freesync on the xbox itself but cannot on the monitor. On the monitor the option isn't available as if what it is connected to isn't freesync compatible. 

I have a ASUS VP28UQG 4K 28” (with freesync over hdmi support) and a 1X.

1) Variable refresh rate option appears on Xbox display modes setting but OSD settings on the monitor is always greyed out. I’m sure I read  someone that said about using DisplayPort made the option appear but not for HDMI.

2) Freesync does work in game (and you can see it working with the onscreen ASUS gameplus framerate counter). It shows the current FPS in top left corner, it’s monitor side not Xbox side and drops based on Xbox display output.

3) It always shows 60 fps by default as 60hz is  the standard output mode on the Xbox.

4) Where a title is 30fps, each frame is doubled to achieve the 60hz signal, whereas on 60fps titles, each frame is outputted once.

5) Only a Freesync LFC monitor can go into the lower range of freesync so that the frames won’t be doubled (on output) as it can sync perfect to the FPS.

6) Where a framerate drop occurs, it’s still doubled, so 30 > 28 FPS == 60 > 56 FPS that’s outputted via freesync. That means that 40-60hz freesync monitors are useful for 30fps titles.

TLDR: freesync works very well for pubg on the X

• Thanks 1

Freesync 2 devices (xbox, pc, etc) are fully backwards compatible to Freesync (1) monitors.

14 hours ago, Groza said:

Good to know. The only reason I was asking about if freesync 1.0 works on the xbox is because I have been hearing problems where you can choose freesync on the xbox itself but cannot on the monitor. On the monitor the option isn't available as if what it is connected to isn't freesync compatible. 

In those situations its important to know that some monitors can only do FreeSync via a DisplayPort connection and NOT via HDMI. In these cases you are also unable to use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to "bypass" this issue either - it doesn't work.

Keep this in mind when purchasing your FreeSync monitors.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Takarii said:

In those situations its important to know that some monitors can only do FreeSync via a DisplayPort connection and NOT via HDMI. In these cases you are also unable to use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to "bypass" this issue either - it doesn't work.

Keep this in mind when purchasing your FreeSync monitors.

Now this is what I have been looking for! thank you!

12 hours ago, Choco said:

I have a ASUS VP28UQG 4K 28” (with freesync over hdmi support) and a 1X.

1) Variable refresh rate option appears on Xbox display modes setting but OSD settings on the monitor is always greyed out. I’m sure I read  someone that said about using DisplayPort made the option appear but not for HDMI.

2) Freesync does work in game (and you can see it working with the onscreen ASUS gameplus framerate counter). It shows the current FPS in top left corner, it’s monitor side not Xbox side and drops based on Xbox display output.

3) It always shows 60 fps by default as 60hz is  the standard output mode on the Xbox.

4) Where a title is 30fps, each frame is doubled to achieve the 60hz signal, whereas on 60fps titles, each frame is outputted once.

5) Only a Freesync LFC monitor can go into the lower range of freesync so that the frames won’t be doubled (on output) as it can sync perfect to the FPS.

6) Where a framerate drop occurs, it’s still doubled, so 30 > 28 FPS == 60 > 56 FPS that’s outputted via freesync. That means that 40-60hz freesync monitors are useful for 30fps titles.

TLDR: freesync works very well for pubg on the X

This is going to be the monitor I will buy. So freesync forsure works with the xbox one x eventhough the freesync option is grayed out on the monitor?

I tried almost every single freesync monitor out there and the best one I found that looked good and felt good to play on was the Asus Rog Strix XG27vq

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2018 at 12:36 PM, Wasabi813 said:

I tried almost every single freesync monitor out there and the best one I found that looked good and felt good to play on was the Asus Rog Strix XG27vq

Unfortunately not 4k tho

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Groza said:

Unfortunately not 4k tho

Nope but !n my case I play competitively and it’s amazing!the response time is so fast and I almost always win in any competitive game I play including pubg plus pubg runs like total shit on 4K hdr!f I’m playing a story game and I want all the rich visuals I’ll play on my 55 inch Samsung 4K UHD hdr tv

Edited by Wasabi813

36 minutes ago, Wasabi813 said:

Nope but !n my case I play competitively and it’s amazing!the response time is so fast and I almost always win in any competitive game I play including pubg plus pubg runs like total shit on 4K hdr!f I’m playing a story game and I want all the rich visuals I’ll play on my 55 inch Samsung 4K UHD hdr tv

I heard HDR 4k runs awfully on the xbox one x. Thats why im steering away from HDR. All im looking for is 1ms response, 60+hz, freesync and of course, 4K!

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Groza said:

I heard HDR 4k runs awfully on the xbox one x. Thats why im steering away from HDR. All im looking for is 1ms response, 60+hz, freesync and of course, 4K!

It actually runs great just horrible on pubg and I mean horrible in the worst way possible lol but out of all the monitors I tried I stayed with the Asus rog swift xg32vq it’s 2k not 4K but it works with freesync and 120hz refresh rate.

now if you really want 4K the best ones I found were the Samsung CHG70 and the LG uk650!amazing picture amazing graphics!the LG does 4K and freesync at 60hz and they looked better than my huge tv!in fact the Samsung is a 1440p monitor and runs the Xbox at 120hz refresh rate at 2k with freesync

Edited by Wasabi813

On 6/8/2018 at 6:58 PM, Groza said:

This is going to be the monitor I will buy. So freesync forsure works with the xbox one x eventhough the freesync option is grayed out on the monitor?

Mind sharing your settings I have the same monitor. Tia

20 hours ago, T67eg said:

Mind sharing your settings I have the same monitor. Tia

Im going to pick mine up on Wednesday. I will let you know

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2018 at 7:41 PM, Wasabi813 said:

It actually runs great just horrible on pubg and I mean horrible in the worst way possible lol but out of all the monitors I tried I stayed with the Asus rog swift xg32vq it’s 2k not 4K but it works with freesync and 120hz refresh rate.

now if you really want 4K the best ones I found were the Samsung CHG70 and the LG uk650!amazing picture amazing graphics!the LG does 4K and freesync at 60hz and they looked better than my huge tv!in fact the Samsung is a 1440p monitor and runs the Xbox at 120hz refresh rate at 2k with freesync

I use the 32" Samsung CHG70 and it's by far the best monitor I've had..........run PUBG at 1440p, Freesync 2 with LFC ensures a reliably smooth gameplay experience even below 30fps.  The curved screen was something I needed to get used to, but really like it now.

If you have it your budget, go with a freesync 2 monitor.......the X supports it and it will be the standard moving forward.

4 hours ago, DaCFO said:

I use the 32" Samsung CHG70 and it's by far the best monitor I've had..........run PUBG at 1440p, Freesync 2 with LFC ensures a reliably smooth gameplay experience even below 30fps.  The curved screen was something I needed to get used to, but really like it now.

If you have it your budget, go with a freesync 2 monitor.......the X supports it and it will be the standard moving forward.

Yes!!!!this guy knows what I’m talking about!and you can play at the 120hz refresh rate too with freesync on and this is the only monitor that does it at the moment!

12 hours ago, Wasabi813 said:

Yes!!!!this guy knows what I’m talking about!and you can play at the 120hz refresh rate too with freesync on and this is the only monitor that does it at the moment!

One note to mention: there is a known issue for this particular monitor that does not allow you to set the Xbox One X to both 1440p @ 120hz with FS2 on........I'm currently running all games on 1440p @ 60hz with FS2 on, even though the display technically can handle the higher resolution at higher frames.  Samsung has come out with a recent firmware update; however, it only applies to the 27inch version, and I'm not even sure if it resolves the issue.  You can set everything to 1080p @ 120hz with FS2 on; however, for me everything runs fine at the higher resolution @ 60..........at this setting I have no input lag (hardwired both internet and controller) and most games right now are 60 or below anyways, so its a win/win.

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 1