Jump to content
MrBubbs

External SSD help

Recommended Posts

Many of you might be seeing posts on how using an external SSD drive will help to give pubg instant rendering on drop and super fast load in times. If you haven’t seen anything about using an SSD drive for pubg then go onto YouTube and search “Xbox pubg ssd compare)  Below Is a guide for when (not if) you get one on setting it up. 

 

Plug in via USB; you can do this with the Xbox on and it will automatically prompt you with a box asking how you would like to set up your storage (Media or Storage) and name it. 

You'll have to select the Format Storage Device button. It will then allow you to name it. 

The Xbox will ask if you want new games or apps to install on the internal or external. 

 

It won't take long to format the SSD. 

You can go into your My Games and Apps tab and cursor to PUBG. When you press the expanded select button for PUBG properties, you can select Manage Game. From there you can Copy it to your external. 

 

When you update PUBG, do it as you normally would. The Xbox will handle it all and update the proper location with no worry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before you do all of that, make sure you update the controller firmware of the SSD.

 

Fixes wear levelling issues and random disconnects whilst plugged into an external enclosure (sometimes - this is brand dependent)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got me an SSD this week. Plugged and played and wow what a difference. No rubber banding, no play dough, buildings rendered straight away and loaded straight off the plane and when I crash I’m back in less than half the time. Only went for 256gb. Huge difference. Best investment for this game if you can’t afford a new Xbox. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next consoles had better have some SSD flavored versions. I think with my xbox one in dire need of opening up and cleaning, I might also look into drive cloning to an SSD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 10:51 AM, Fractured Life said:

The next consoles had better have some SSD flavored versions. I think with my xbox one in dire need of opening up and cleaning, I might also look into drive cloning to an SSD. 

 

If the next generation of xbox doesn't come with better hardware I won't buy one. I'll just buy a pc and play games on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 9:04 PM, superunknowndude said:

Before you do all of that, make sure you update the controller firmware of the SSD.

 

Fixes wear levelling issues and random disconnects whilst plugged into an external enclosure (sometimes - this is brand dependent)

 

I use a usb3 to sata adapter, and haven’t had any issues. I’m also using a cheapo sandisk ssd. I think if you buy a fancier brand, maybe you might need to update the firmware, but xbox games dont need much. An SSD with 250MB/s rr/rw will be more than enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2018 at 12:06 PM, Brpc said:

 

I use a usb3 to sata adapter, and haven’t had any issues. I’m also using a cheapo sandisk ssd. I think if you buy a fancier brand, maybe you might need to update the firmware, but xbox games dont need much. An SSD with 250MB/s rr/rw will be more than enough.

 

What state are you in? With great advice like that, I want to open an IT repair shop in your locale. 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2018 at 10:51 AM, Fractured Life said:

The next consoles had better have some SSD flavored versions. I think with my xbox one in dire need of opening up and cleaning, I might also look into drive cloning to an SSD. 

It would be much more cost effective to just give us an easier way to upgrade the internal HDD like PS4. Otherwise, a 500GB SSD would increase the price by $300😨

Edited by ONE800BEATDOWN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 8:04 PM, superunknowndude said:

Before you do all of that, make sure you update the controller firmware of the SSD.

 

Fixes wear levelling issues and random disconnects whilst plugged into an external enclosure (sometimes - this is brand dependent)

How do you do this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bluesamwise04 said:

How do you do this? 

 

Go to the manufacturer website. Look for your model under the support or downloads page. Check for updates.

You'll have to plug the device directly into a mainboard. It can't be updated through an external enclosure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 3:11 PM, bendoVa_DB said:

Got me an SSD this week. Plugged and played and wow what a difference. No rubber banding, no play dough, buildings rendered straight away and loaded straight off the plane and when I crash I’m back in less than half the time. Only went for 256gb. Huge difference. Best investment for this game if you can’t afford a new Xbox. 

Did this too and the gameplay is so much better.played about 20 games so far in solo duo and squads with no issues 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2018 at 5:03 PM, superunknowndude said:

 

What state are you in? With great advice like that, I want to open an IT repair shop in your locale. 😃

My point was that expensive != better for an external SSD when used on an xbox. Why would you ever need to upgrade the firmware on an SSD for out-of-the-box operation? Again, my point stands: if you're using a "fancier" brand, i.e. one with a controller that requires constant prodding to eek out every last bit of write performance possible, then maybe it won't be compatible. My point was simply that a casual consumer brand (I'm sorry you were unable to read into that) won't require firmware updates to function properly and, furthermore, that the xbox is limited in respect to its overall performance which does not necessitate a 500MB/s / 90,000+ IOPS prosumer SSD.

Again, in simpler terms: you don't need an expensive SSD to do the job that a cheap one will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×