bendoVa_DB

External HDD. Is it worth it on Xbox OG??

Trying to get a feel in if getting a 2TB external Hard drive will make the game run and load faster and helping with rendering issues. I’m on Xbox OG. I can’t afford an SSD as the prices are over £100 and as someone with a family and bills I can’t justify paying that much out so I have been looking at HDD which you can get massive storage for less than £100. Would this help with the rendering and long loading times? Does anyone have experience with external HDD on Xbox OG and give a brother some feedback. Thanks 

I wouldn't waste my money for maybe a 10 % better perfomance. Instead I would look for some offers for a small, cheap SSD.

How much extra memory though. I’m crap with stuff like this. Just want something to make everything render quicker and improve the performance of the game without breaking the bank

31 minutes ago, bendoVa_DB said:

Trying to get a feel in if getting a 2TB external Hard drive will make the game run and load faster and helping with rendering issues. I’m on Xbox OG. I can’t afford an SSD as the prices are over £100 and as someone with a family and bills I can’t justify paying that much out so I have been looking at HDD which you can get massive storage for less than £100. Would this help with the rendering and long loading times? Does anyone have experience with external HDD on Xbox OG and give a brother some feedback. Thanks 

I had a 1TB HHD Drive and then switched to a SSD Drive and the difference was staggering. I would say it is not 10% difference but rather 100% difference. I render in before I hit the ground every time which helps in high traffic areas. Then as we all know the issues with crashing, I load back in within 1 minute from the time I drop out which has saved me several times. The only way to make this game enjoyable current state is to have an ssd Drive on the OG in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Mania110 said:

I had a 1TB HHD Drive and then switched to a SSD Drive and the difference was staggering. I would say it is not 10% difference but rather 100% difference. I render in before I hit the ground every time which helps in high traffic areas. Then as we all know the issues with crashing, I load back in within 1 minute from the time I drop out which has saved me several times. The only way to make this game enjoyable current state is to have an ssd Drive on the OG in my opinion. 

What size SSD do you have?

I bought a 512 for $140 but have a friend who bought a 250 gig for $99 and it works just fine. 

17 minutes ago, ONE800BEATDOWN said:

Check out Amazon. You can get a cheap 240GB SSD and enclosure for under $100

Would that be as much memory as I need? Any particular specs to fit to the Xbox?

7 minutes ago, bendoVa_DB said:

Would that be as much memory as I need? Any particular specs to fit to the Xbox?

Would This work and be enough to run the game?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/120GB-240GB-External-3-0-Portable-P10-120GB/dp/B0788RPDT5/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528730301&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=external%2BSSD%2B240gb%2Busb%2B3.0&psc=1&th=1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bendoVa_DB said:

Yes. PUBG is under 15GB in size. 256GB is the Minimum size drive determined by Microsoft. A few of us discovered that you can in fact run a slightly smaller size SSD. So 240GB is the smallest confirmed size drive. Make sure you buy a SATA to USB 3.0 enclosure along with the internal SSD. Or you can spend $20 more and get one that is already converted to USB 3.0

Edited by ONE800BEATDOWN

4 minutes ago, ONE800BEATDOWN said:

Yes

As it’s usb 3.0 would it be as simple as plugging in and moving the game to the drive and playing? Sorry for the questions. Not very technically gifted. 

9 minutes ago, ONE800BEATDOWN said:

Yes

And run it without shitty rendering issues 

54 minutes ago, Mania110 said:

I bought a 512 for $140 but have a friend who bought a 250 gig for $99 and it works just fine. 

Would I need an enclosure because I have seen one that just plugs straight into the drive and into the Xbox via USB 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/120GB-240GB-External-3-0-Portable-P10-120GB/dp/B0788RPDT5/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528730301&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=external%2BSSD%2B240gb%2Busb%2B3.0&psc=1&th=1

would this work

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, bendoVa_DB said:

As it’s usb 3.0 would it be as simple as plugging in and moving the game to the drive and playing? Sorry for the questions. Not very technically gifted. 

Yes. After you plug it in it will prompt you to format. Then you can transfer over. I recommend deleting and re-downloading directly to the SSD, but that is up to you

14 minutes ago, bendoVa_DB said:

Would I need an enclosure because I have seen one that just plugs straight into the drive and into the Xbox via USB 

would this work

That one will work fine

Edited by ONE800BEATDOWN

3 minutes ago, ONE800BEATDOWN said:

Yes. After you plug it in it will prompt you to format. Then you can transfer over. I recommend deleting and re-downloading directly to the SSD, but that is up to you

That one will work fine

Legend.  Last question. This one is 3.1 usb. If you had to pick the one I posted earlier or this one below which would you pick

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADATA-Waterproof-Military-Grade-Shockproof-ASD700-256GU3-CBK/dp/B01N1GP6DT/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528732770&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=adata+256gb+ssd&dpPl=1&dpID=51ng54dz1cL&ref=plSrch

22 minutes ago, bendoVa_DB said:

I would go with the ADATA option👍

2 minutes ago, ONE800BEATDOWN said:

Mate. Superstar. Cheers for your help with this. As I said I am clueless with stuff like this so you’ve been a massive help

10 minutes ago, ONE800BEATDOWN said:

Sorry. Take it I don’t need enclosure with this one? Lol

26 minutes ago, bendoVa_DB said:

Mate. Superstar. Cheers for your help with this. As I said I am clueless with stuff like this so you’ve been a massive help

No problem. Glad I can help. Come back and tell us how things go for you after playing a few matches on your new SSD

18 minutes ago, bendoVa_DB said:

Sorry. Take it I don’t need enclosure with this one? Lol

Nope. You do not need an enclosure with that drive

Amazon has one from adata thats 256 GB and 440 write speed and it was only $75 and now I load before my X buddies and Im on the OG.  

34 minutes ago, Brick522 said:

Amazon has one from adata thats 256 GB and 440 write speed and it was only $75 and now I load before my X buddies and Im on the OG.  

Literally just bought the an Adata 256gb. Same one. Comes tomorrow 🙌🏼