Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Garand1987

Astro A40 TR Help (can’t get response on their forum)

A couple questions about a couple issues. I just got a set of Astro A40 TR’s with the MixAmp for PC and Xbox on the suggestion of a friend to replace my SteelSeries Arctis 7’s because those weren’t loud enough. 
I did the firmware upgrade and set them up on my PC, all is good there. I then set them up on my Xbox and that’s there the trouble starts. 
First, the Dolby 7.1 sounds horrendous on the Xbox. It’s VERY tinny, like you’re running inside an empty hallway, it has that almost electric buzz you get in close empty rooms. If I shut off the Dolby and use Windows Sonic they sound great. But if I’m not using the Dolby the MixAmp is essentially a $90 splitter. But it doesn’t work as one of those either. 
Per the instructions I have the USB into my PC, which works fine, and the optical in my Xbox. Set up like that, with it in console mode, my Xbox will not recognize the device. I get regular sound but no mic, and I cannot change settings. Only when both the USB and the Optical cable are plugged into the Xbox does it recognize the device allowing me to use the mic and also change my system sound settings. 
What gives??

On 6/14/2018 at 11:29 AM, Garand1987 said:

A couple questions about a couple issues. I just got a set of Astro A40 TR’s with the MixAmp for PC and Xbox on the suggestion of a friend to replace my SteelSeries Arctis 7’s because those weren’t loud enough. 
I did the firmware upgrade and set them up on my PC, all is good there. I then set them up on my Xbox and that’s there the trouble starts. 
First, the Dolby 7.1 sounds horrendous on the Xbox. It’s VERY tinny, like you’re running inside an empty hallway, it has that almost electric buzz you get in close empty rooms. If I shut off the Dolby and use Windows Sonic they sound great. But if I’m not using the Dolby the MixAmp is essentially a $90 splitter. But it doesn’t work as one of those either. 
Per the instructions I have the USB into my PC, which works fine, and the optical in my Xbox. Set up like that, with it in console mode, my Xbox will not recognize the device. I get regular sound but no mic, and I cannot change settings. Only when both the USB and the Optical cable are plugged into the Xbox does it recognize the device allowing me to use the mic and also change my system sound settings. 
What gives??

Optical cable is not a data transmitter. It’s also not bi-directional in the sense that it’s not going to send anything (any data/audio) to the xbox. This is not the xbox or astro’s fault. Hence why it says “optical out” on the xbox whereas a usb port is just usb. That’s why it requires both usb and optical... or just usb.