Sign in to follow this  
SmittyKelso

SSD Help

This might be better off in an Apple forum, I'm aware.  Just turning to those that might have run into the same issue for the same reasons.  I have finally broke down and purchased an SSD, I've downloaded the drivers, but I can't put them on the external.  I'm on a Mac and after some searching, it looks like I need to format the external for Mac but I'm afraid then it won't work on the Xbox.  So, what do I need to do?  Borrow a windows laptop/PC and download it that way or format on Mac and it'll all be okay?  Thanks for the help.

SSD (as long as it conforms to MS standards) will get formatted by the XBOX when you successfully attach it.  No need to preformat, do anything to it.  In fact, any formats on it before hand will be wiped out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SmittyKelso said:

This might be better off in an Apple forum, I'm aware.  Just turning to those that might have run into the same issue for the same reasons.  I have finally broke down and purchased an SSD, I've downloaded the drivers, but I can't put them on the external.  I'm on a Mac and after some searching, it looks like I need to format the external for Mac but I'm afraid then it won't work on the Xbox.  So, what do I need to do?  Borrow a windows laptop/PC and download it that way or format on Mac and it'll all be okay?  Thanks for the help.

Mac's are pretty good these days and as long as they have the drivers installed for the NTFS file system then you should have no issues. Xbox one uses either FAT32 (which macs can read natively) or NTFS (which requires a the drivers on a mac to read/write)

To be safe, make sure it is formatted as FAT32 - that way you will run into less issues if you move the drive between the mac and the console. If your plan is to simply use the drive ONLY with the Xbox, then the console itself will format the drive as needed. The drivers you downloaded are only required if you wish to read/write the drive via your mac.

I just installed one last week. As long as the drive is 256GB + and is USB 3.0 you should just be able to plug it in and the Xbox will format the drive. Once completed you can move the game off of your internal drive and on to the SSD. I cut down dashboarding reloads to under 45 seconds and had significantly better map rendering. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2018 at 2:26 PM, Flamesofdoom said:

Just plug it into the xbox and have it format the drive. It has to be 256GB or more to play games.

1 hour ago, sirshinypants21 said:

I just installed one last week. As long as the drive is 256GB + and is USB 3.0 you should just be able to plug it in and the Xbox will format the drive. Once completed you can move the game off of your internal drive and on to the SSD. I cut down dashboarding reloads to under 45 seconds and had significantly better map rendering. 

240GB SSD's work as well

The 256GB Minimum only applies to mechanical drives

Edited by ONE800BEATDOWN

plug it into the the xbox, if no prompts come up to format the drive , as it sounds like you're not getting. go the the system settings and look in the storage section.

you should see the device there. if not back out one section. un plug and re plug in. check again. go ahead and highlight it. press A and some options should come up. choose the one that will format it. you can rename it too. probably call it external ssd or if it's Samsung evo. definitely name it that.

and most importantly:

designate it as the default install location. now delete pubg from your console and re download it. because your ssd is the default install location (not the be confused with the default capture location for dvr clips) it will install on your ssd. and you are good.

yeah I guess you could move it but, that just feels dirty to me. I don't think I could give you any other reason as to why you wouldn't just move it.

don't do anything dumb like pull it off the box while it's writing, or designate it as a media drive. 

hopefully you are using a usb 3.0 enclosure with a usb 3.0 cord.

Appreciate all the help everybody.  Got it all worked out and working like a champ.  Night and day difference from XBS to XBS with SSD.