Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White Rabbit

Default Firing Mode for SMG's?

I'm sure this topic has been addressed in the past, but just wondering if anyone knows if Blue Hole plans to give players the option to set default firing modes for certain weapons types.  For example, I would like to set SMG's to "full auto" as default.  I know some will say that I should just click my mouse once or twice, but we all forget sometimes and it just doesn't make sense to have the default for a Vector, Uzi or UMP be single shot.  Again, it's all about options.  

4 minutes ago, White Rabbit said:

it just doesn't make sense to have the default for a Vector, Uzi or UMP be single shot.  Again, it's all about options.  

The sense comes from the fact that in real life. SMGs go from safe, to semi, to burst to full auto ( assuming they have all those options )

I bound mine button to something out of the way because I accidentally hit it sometimes

3 hours ago, White Rabbit said:

I'm sure this topic has been addressed in the past, but just wondering if anyone knows if Blue Hole plans to give players the option to set default firing modes for certain weapons types.  For example, I would like to set SMG's to "full auto" as default.  I know some will say that I should just click my mouse once or twice, but we all forget sometimes and it just doesn't make sense to have the default for a Vector, Uzi or UMP be single shot.  Again, it's all about options.  

We all don't forget sometimes. Hitting your mouse or a key once or twice isn't difficult to do or remember. The fact people still mess this up shows they don't pay attention.

3 hours ago, White Rabbit said:

A lot of people complain about this. There is no reason why they can't or shouldn't add it. This kind of feature would be purely client side anyway.

I hope it stays like it is.

This is the sort of thing the separates the better (or at least more experienced) players from the rest.

Say 'NO' to noobification.

11 minutes ago, ColonicBoom said:

I hope it stays like it is.

This is the sort of thing the separates the better (or at least more experienced) players from the rest.

Say 'NO' to noobification.

I could argue that you can keep it the way it is for your client.

I could argue that "noobs" wouldn't really know that this feature exists in the first place.

I could argue that fire rates shouldn't be the deciding factor of skill.

Really, it's just tedious and I don't care if people have it or not. It won't make it any more difficult to destroy "noobs".

I just think that there is a better arguement for it than against it.

14 minutes ago, NotABot said:

I could argue that you can keep it the way it is for your client.

I could argue that "noobs" wouldn't really know that this feature exists in the first place.

I could argue that fire rates shouldn't be the deciding factor of skill.

Really, it's just tedious and I don't care if people have it or not. It won't make it any more difficult to destroy "noobs".

I just think that there is a better arguement for it than against it.

In no way does it make sense to have a client-side 'preferred firing mode' that automatically makes all weapons we find magically set themselves to full auto.

Fire rates aren't the deciding factor of skill but remembering to change the firing mode, so as not to be at a disadvantage, is something that is learned and comes with experience.

You can argue what you like but full auto is only a button press away. If people don't remember to flick that switch, that's on them.

It's happened to me plenty of times, it still happens occasionally and it's very annoying. But when it happens, it's my fault and I try to make sure it doesn't happen the next time.

You're right that it won't make it any more difficult to kill noobs though. But now I'm experienced at the game and I had to learn the hard way, I don't want anyone else to be given shortcuts. Call me selfish if you want, I am ?

1 minute ago, ColonicBoom said:

In no way does it make sense to have a client-side 'preferred firing mode' that automatically makes all weapons you find magically set themselves to full auto.

Fire rates aren't the deciding factor of skill but remembering to change the firing mode, so as not to be at a disadvantage, is something that is learned and comes with experience.

You can argue what you like but full auto is only a button press away. If you don't remember to flick that switch, that's on you.

It's happened to me plenty of times, it still happens occasionally and it's very annoying. But when it happens, it's my fault and I try to make sure it doesn't happen the next time.

I agree that it's an easy fix to just get use to it but at the same time I don't think there is a good arguement against it. It doesn't really effect anything to implement it. The same result could happen if they mean to single fire but have it set if full auto or burst, initially.

The thing is: the added feature just gives more customization to preference which is a good thing.

My personal opinion is that it doesn't matter either way.

10 minutes ago, NotABot said:

I agree that it's an easy fix to just get use to it but at the same time I don't think there is a good arguement against it. It doesn't really effect anything to implement it. The same result could happen if they mean to single fire but have it set if full auto or burst, initially.

The thing is: the added feature just gives more customization to preference which is a good thing.

My personal opinion is that it doesn't matter either way.

No, you're right, there isn't really any argument against it. I still don't want it to change though, in the beginning it cost me a lot of gunfights and it's what taught me to always pay attention to the firing-mode, which has made me a better player (eventually).

Definitely, additional customisation/preferences is always a good thing.

Being on Xbox (only just realised I strayed to the dark side of the forum), we're a few versions behind you PC guys so we have even fewer options than you and we're desperate to catch up a bit. Got the SLR + 3x + 6x scopes update onto our live servers today, to give you an idea of where we are.

I agree, it doesn't really matter if they change this. If they implement the option then I'll immediately set all found guns to full auto, be silly not to do it.

But I'll also feel a bit sad that they dumbed something down unnecessarily and I'll feel like I dumbed myself down because of it. (no dumb Xbox user comment please). ?

I can certainly see how some might view this feature as "noobification", but for me (the OP) it's really just a Quality of Life change.  As realistic as we like our games to be, there are plenty of things in PubG that are NOT realistic, for gamesmanship and QoL (such as inventory management, drinking Red Bulls for health, and surviving catastrophic vehicle crashes).  I realize some people have a better memory than others, but I know that this is enough of an issue that there have been videos (and one excellent SPOOF) made of this.  Arguments can be made on both sides, but for me I want my games to offer more options to focus on other things.  

Finally, for those who argue that SMG's are single shot by default is realistic (which may be true), why does that gun always revert back to single shot after a user has switched it to auto?  If I kill a guy who's spraying his UMP, the gun will be "reset" back to single shot when I pick it from his corpse?

4 minutes ago, White Rabbit said:

for me (the OP) it's really just a Quality of Life change.

As realistic as we like our games to be, there are plenty of things in PubG that are NOT realistic, for gamesmanship and QoL

If I kill a guy who's spraying his UMP, the gun will be "reset" back to single shot when I pick it from his corpse

Fair enough. I've been complaining about QoL changes on Xbox for ages. And I've been saying that realism for realism's sake is not always a good thing in games, the deciding factor should enjoyment and sometimes concessions must be made for playability. Based on that I'd be hypocritical to dismiss your point of view.

That's a good point, I hadn't even though of the reset when picking up looted guns.

And all the attachments fall off for some reason, although that's good QoL on Xbox because removing attachments and then equipping the ones you actually want is a clunky mess on console.

3 horas atrás, White Rabbit disse:

I can certainly see how some might view this feature as "noobification", but for me (the OP) it's really just a Quality of Life change.  As realistic as we like our games to be, there are plenty of things in PubG that are NOT realistic, for gamesmanship and QoL (such as inventory management, drinking Red Bulls for health, and surviving catastrophic vehicle crashes).  I realize some people have a better memory than others, but I know that this is enough of an issue that there have been videos (and one excellent SPOOF) made of this.  Arguments can be made on both sides, but for me I want my games to offer more options to focus on other things.  

Finally, for those who argue that SMG's are single shot by default is realistic (which may be true), why does that gun always revert back to single shot after a user has switched it to auto?  If I kill a guy who's spraying his UMP, the gun will be "reset" back to single shot when I pick it from his corpse?

Not to mention that the magazines disattach magically when looting from enemies. I think this shouldn't happen. It's not about realism, it's just counter-intuitive and anti-game in my point of view.

19 minutes ago, Machine Fun said:

Not to mention that the magazines disattach magically when looting from enemies. I think this shouldn't happen. It's not about realism, it's just counter-intuitive and anti-game in my point of view.

Well, all attachments and ammo is removed from weapons and placed all into the crate. This makes it simpler to get the items you want rather than having to pick up a weapon that has attachments on it then having to remove all the attachments you don't want and reattach the ones you do want. In a lot of ways this can be seen as a quality of life feature. You shouldn't have to spend a ton of time looting since the meat of the game is getting back into the battle as soon as possible.

9 hours ago, DeadlyEggXoP said:

The sense comes from the fact that in real life. SMGs go from safe, to semi, to burst to full auto ( assuming they have all those options )

I bound mine button to something out of the way because I accidentally hit it sometimes

And when you put your fire arm on the ground it magically goes back to single.

This is when I sometimes will forget to put it back to auto. I accidentally pick up a weapon then swap back to my old and forget to put it back to auto.

It's not about remember to change the fire mode.. The problem is when ur looting fast and a friend come to take some loot and accidentaly you change your weapon, and when you pick it up again it's semi by default. Same happens when your game crash, weapons go back to default.

When you drop a weapon in full auto you should pick the weapon in full alto.

4 hours ago, jex said:

And when you put your fire arm on the ground it magically goes back to single.

This is when I sometimes will forget to put it back to auto. I accidentally pick up a weapon then swap back to my old and forget to put it back to auto.

thats because when you put it on the ground you take the mag out so that you can keep hold of it.

Im sur ein the past I used to pick up guns from someone else and it woudl already be on auto

21 hours ago, DeadlyEggXoP said:

Im sur ein the past I used to pick up guns from someone else and it woudl already be on auto

No, this was never a thing.

On 7/17/2018 at 3:28 AM, NotABot said:

A lot of people complain about this. There is no reason why they can't or shouldn't add it. This kind of feature would be purely client side anyway.

Nah, that's just another little thing that'll contribute to sped up gameplay.  If you're in a rush and forget to switch to a firemode befitting the situation you should be punished for it.

10 minutes ago, NotABot said:

If you looted a corpse the weapon would remain on whatever setting they had it on at time of death.  I haven't noticed a change from this, but it absolutely used to happen and screwed me over a few times when I wasn't paying attention.

16 minutes ago, NotABot said:

Yep it is.

7 minutes ago, Jimmah said:

Yep it is.

When, because I have been playing since April 2017 and I have been watching it for some months before that and I have never seen this being a thing.

1 hour ago, NotABot said:

When, because I have been playing since April 2017 and I have been watching it for some months before that and I have never seen this being a thing.

Hell I don't know, but it has been changed.

Looted weapons are now at what ever fire rate the enemy was using. 

1 minute ago, Jimmah said:

Hell I don't know, but it has been changed.

Looted weapons are now at what ever fire rate the enemy was using. 

So this is new? That would make more sense. Because I haven't played in the last few months and this hasn't been a thing before that. Seems weird that they would change it like that though..

4 minutes ago, NotABot said:

So this is new? That would make more sense. Because I haven't played in the last few months and this hasn't been a thing before that. Seems weird that they would change it like that though..

Yep it's pretty new I think. I was away with work for a few months.

Came back jumped on, picked up an UMP from an enemy, did the normal, hit B a few times put me back on single. Tested it again and it stays on the enemies fire rate. 

Just now, Jimmah said:

Yep it's pretty new I think. I was away with work for a few months.

Came back jumped on, picked up an UMP from an enemy, did the normal, hit B a few times put me back on single. Tested it again and it stays on the enemies fire rate. 

What about when you drop the weapon on the ground and pick it up? Does it switch? It was really annoying to accidently swap a weapon and pick up the weapon you had to only find out the fire rate changed at the wrong moment.

Glad to see they are making changes but doing it in weird ways.