Sign in to follow this  
shm0

Watch this if you think the 3D marker system is a great idea. An explanation why it's a terrible design change.

thing is, that helps and I am not a big fan of this feature ( have yet to play with it so holding off judgement )

It helps but people move,  no one sits in a window in one spot, if they did the guy who marked him would have already killed him .... so you cant expect to peek and boom kill the guy. he probably isnt there anymore and if he spotted the guy spotting him then he probably wont peek that spot again anyway.

I still think its a bit much, I would love it if they allowed anyone to mark something like that. but only THEY saw their marker in the world, their team just saw it in the map.

but seeing it in teh real world .. its a bit much imo.  It completely removes the whole "Which tree???" which feels like adding a little bit of third person into first person mode.

Like I think that it fits in perfectly in third person.  They can already do that with their third person camera.  but it feels like it doesnt fit in FPP to me.

The benefits of markers by far outweigh this small problem.

And this is only really a problem if someone holds the same peek for a very long amount of time.

• Like 1

Need more testing, imo swagger said like peek and boom but forgetting the enemies has his team also that might have marked on him already.  So really depends am which team executes out a plan better/strategy.  But if the guy lingers around the window peek and boom does seems very off like esp.  that’s a no no! 

2 hours ago, Itsjustagame said:

but forgetting the enemies has his team also that might have marked on him already.

The point he was making that his teammate was spotted at the other building and he appears from a completely different angle with a clean blind prefire line.

ANYWAYS. Thought I'd drop in my 2 cents.

"Pin makes things easier when there are language barriers/no mics"

Makes things easier, doesn't solve the problem. You still can't in clean language state what is at the marker. You can't without a mic even state there is a marker so it'll take a while for the team to notice it. What will happen is that people will mark the enemy, shoot and then rest of the team will turn at the mark, spot and shoot.

What happens without the marker? A player spots the enemy, shoots. Rest of the team now goes "wtf he shooting at?", look at this players angle and try to spot the enemy. Eventually find it. Shoot. Success!

Teams with mics and no language barriers on the other hand are already at a HUGE advantage in either case only to be increased even more. A player spots and enemy, calls it out and pins. They can now decide if it's a good idea to shoot or to find another angle or to disengage or whatever. However if the case was to shoot, because of the callout in voip and the pin they'll need a single second to all line up the crosshairs at this target and collectively blow this guy to hell.

Currently this takes a bit of explaining to do and without a proper callouts will take a good while to get all barrels pointing at the right direction. This is good. It slows down the pace of the combat just a tad bit and causes a certain bit of uncertainty and a need for awareness. This, again, is good for the open world combat we have going on here.

During the combat you can now just mark every slight glimpse of an enemy making already an open terrain with little cover even harder to navigate out of. Every player of the team now has pinpointed intel of every player behind any cover. Keeping track of the enemy movement is naught. Dumbed down to hell.

Again the marking tools are already there, you just actually need some skill to actually get good at using them. I recall someone saying "easy to learn, hard to master" is the way to go and the current system is just that. The better you get the more accurate and faster your marking will be at the map but marking the rough location and direction is easy.

Judging distances with the pin

This is not that huge of an issue with the pin but a thing that dumbs down the game some as well. We had this worse off in A3:BR TPP (disabled in FPP). In A3 you'd mark the location of the enemy from the map and get the pin to the terrain to your hud. This also included the distance to the pin. Well I'd see the enemy, adjust the pin till it's on top of him, get the distance, zero your gun, pull the trigger, go loot.

It works a bit reversed in PUBG pin system but the point stands. You can instantly pin the correct spot of the enemy. Check the map for the distance, zero or w/e. Pull the trigger.

Now I'm going to get some badasses here saying "but you can judge the distance with the target size". No shit? Needs at least some skill to get that down.

All in all not much is actually gained from the pin and a lot of the immersion is lost.

• Like 1

I've seen this complaint a few times, but to me, it seems a bit weird. So if I'm getting this right, the guy in the video is complaining about this order of events:

• He spots someone in a window and he has a clear line of sight to the target's exact position. Instead of trying to go for a quick headshot, he decides to mark the target for his friends so they can peek and shoot.
  • In order for one of his friends to take the shot, the target will need to stand still for several seconds and not do a thing, despite the fact the target would have had the chance to spot the guy marking him which means he would have started to return fire or moved to reposition to different cover.

It seems like a very specific and unlikely scenario.

As a side note, I wish people would record videos of this in action (and when I say in action, I mean when fighting enemies). All of the complaints and praises I see are theoretical. I might have done so myself, but I haven't had the time to play the game recently.

Posted (edited)

Swag's argument doesn't hold. A marked window doesn't necessarily mean that your opponent will still be there... if you decide to line up a shot. Therefore, it isn't really any different than zooming in on your map and marking the building. The marker doesn't follow the target... it doesn't relay his exact movements to you (the shooter). If someone peaks from the same window twice, they deserve to get wrecked. One could argue that the marker in this case would train people to be better players.

Edited by Malka
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

After more than half of the player base dropped since january seems like they are trying even harder to make more players abandon the game. In the end there will be just noobs left that also don't care about the terrible desync since they don't even notice.

Edited by d0nkeyt0m

Can't wait for all the noobs to be spraying bogus marker positions. Thinking they can shoot at a marker and someone's suppose to be there. It's going to be amazing.

"I keep shooting the markers, but I'm not getting any hits ... what gives...Fix it BH"

...... ..... ..... .... ..... .... ..... 

Followed by ..... "Damn markers are masking/hiding players."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rev0verDrive said:

Can't wait for all the noobs to be spraying bogus marker positions. Thinking they can shoot at a marker and someone's suppose to be there. It's going to be amazing.

"I keep shooting the markers, but I'm not getting any hits ... what gives...Fix it BH"

...... ..... ..... .... ..... .... ..... 

Followed by ..... "Damn markers are masking/hiding players."

Haven't used it yet but you might have accidentally brought up a good point, could someone be behind the marker and you not be able to see them because of the marker?

Just now, TheJoker502 said:

Haven't used it yet but you might have accidentally brought up a good point, could someone be behind the marker and you not be able to see them because of the marker?

YUP. Happens all damn day in Battlefield 3/4/H/1. Even friendly player names (over head display) in the right situation makes an enemy appear to be a friendly.

Anything rendered on the HUD distracts and obscures vision.

3 minutes ago, Rev0verDrive said:

YUP. Happens all damn day in Battlefield 3/4/H/1. Even friendly player names (over head display) in the right situation makes an enemy appear to be a friendly.

Anything rendered on the HUD distracts and obscures vision.

My squad takes pride in being able to communicate, we might just skip this feature as we already have a good system.

2 minutes ago, TheJoker502 said:

My squad takes pride in being able to communicate, we might just skip this feature as we already have a good system.

You can still abuse the hell out of the mechanic. Just don't place markers directly on the target player. Off to the left/right/ top/bottom. Instead of putting it dead on a window shift left of it and say "Right of Marker". Or better Place above and say Below marker.

But noobs being noobs will always ADS dead on spot and tell you to shoot through their (yellow/orange/green/blue) marker at something they can't see.

Smarter not harder.

1 hour ago, Rev0verDrive said:

You can still abuse the hell out of the mechanic. Just don't place markers directly on the target player. Off to the left/right/ top/bottom. Instead of putting it dead on a window shift left of it and say "Right of Marker". Or better Place above and say Below marker.

But noobs being noobs will always ADS dead on spot and tell you to shoot through their (yellow/orange/green/blue) marker at something they can't see.

Smarter not harder.

I would consider that a skill not abuse. As has been said multiple time, if a spotted player remains in the same position after being spotted they deserve any bullets flying toward them. Markers don't follow players like in Battlefield.

Posted (edited)

That doesn't go against the idea of the system but the execution. Make markers invisible if they aren't in LoS. Problem fixed.

Other than that there should be a cooldown on them and they should probably be placed with an pointing animation that does allow you to move during it but not shoot.

Edited by Adrenaline

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Adrenaline said:

That doesn't go against the idea of the system but the execution. Make markers invisible if they aren't in LoS. Problem fixed.

If markers are visible at all, then why remove them without LOS? 

For me, if I am in a building an someone marks that there is someone entering my building from a specific door. I would like the marker to show up when they mark the door or floor that the opponent is on...

I think maybe reducing the visibility timer to 2 seconds instead of 5 would be a better compromise.

Edited by NotABot

1 minute ago, NotABot said:

If markers are visible at all, then why remove them without LOS? 

For me, if I am in a building an someone marks that there is someone entering my building from a specific door. I would like the marker to show up when they mark the door or floor that the opponent is on...

Hm that makes sense too I might have been a bit too quick with my solution

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline said:

Hm that makes sense too I might have been a bit too quick with my solution

I feel like everyone is having this problem, the fact that it is new, we will all be pretty bias at first until we get more experience with the new system.