Sign in to follow this  
FluffyQuack

Suggestion: Make every method of picking up items equally fast

We can pick up items 3 different ways:

• Look at each item and press F.
  • Enter inventory screen and right click each item.
  • Enter inventory screen and drag each item to the inventory.

First two methods have the same speed. The third option however, is significantly faster. If I recall, Bluehold made dragging items faster because people complained about having to wait for the pick up animation for each item when it was added.

But what's the reasoning behind having the other methods slower? It makes picking up items needlessly finicky, and it's in no way apparent for a new player the ideal to pick up items is by dragging.

I don't think they changed it at all, it was always like this, people just discovered that looting with tab and drag was quicker, actually a combination of drag and right click is the fastest imo  Using F will always be slower for multiple items because you cant grab another item until the animation has completed.

If they were to speed everything up to be as quick as drag and right click looting ? 

well how could it be as fast when you have to point at each item and then press ? Im sure there would be a lot of accidentaly pickups or the wrong items that would induce rage and forum posts.

Edited by DeadlyEggXoP

38 minutes ago, DeadlyEggXoP said:

I don't think they changed it at all, it was always like this, people just discovered that looting with tab and drag was quicker, actually a combination of drag and right click is the fastest imo  Using F will always be slower for multiple items because you cant grab another item until the animation has completed.

If they were to speed everything up to be as quick as drag and right click looting ? 

well how could it be as fast when you have to point at each item and then press ? Im sure there would be a lot of accidentaly pickups or the wrong items that would induce rage and forum posts.

If I understand it correctly, when you press F or mouse click each item, then you have to do the full pickup animation for each item. But when dragging, the player character will start one animation and the game will let you instantly pick up more items by dragging even if the player is still in the pickup animation.

I think they might as well make the other methods work the same way (that is, allow you to pick up items while the animation is going). I don't think accidental pickups is a big issue. That's only an issue if the user is mashing a button, and it's not as if dragging doesn't lead to similar accidents if you try to do it extremely quickly.

All methods should be same, FULL animation required between the pick-ups. 

This would mean that when you do a F-button method, you maintain a situational awareness.

When you go to inventory screen, the right click is the easiest to just get stuff in/out backpack but not from weapon to ground or from inventory to specific slot.

That is here the dragging comes as better choice, when you want to get the loot from the ground to the slot, or from inventory to specific slot. 

But EACH should be as slow by every animation. Even swapping scopes from inventory to gun at hand should take the animation time, instead being instant. 

The inventory management should be risky thing to do in firefight or in any situation from being surprised. That is what should separate the good players and bad players that good players knows when to do it at the correct time, bad players thinking that they can just do it quickly and try to trust their mouse skills. Like in reality, no one would start middle of the close quarter combat to pull stuff out of their backpack to swap a scope, no, you go through the combat and then you swap. Unless you risk being hands in your bag and surprised. 

The F-button method is still fastest if you want to pick one thing from ground as you can just run over and grab it. And that should be changed as well so that when ever you are picking up something or you are doing inventory, you shouldn't be able move at all. You need to stay stationary or you are locked stationary. That should be the risky thing to do to go looting anywhere as you might get shot by a sniper as you are stationary object for 3-4 seconds (the inventory screen should be "searched" like in Escape from Tarkov). 

That is the sign of the skills and talent to be able survive from choosing right places, right times and take the risks or not. 

I would personally be okay with dragging items getting slowed down to the same speed as pressing F or mouse clicking, but I think the community will get angry if that change is applied. People went crazy last year when the pickup animations were added.