Sign in to follow this  
Lone wolf

Will region lock really help desync

2 minutes ago, Lone wolf said:

Does anyone really believe that this will be the answer 

I don't think it will be the answer but it is definitely a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Cant hurt. 

Higher % of players with lower ping in one server. 

Higher % of players with shit ping together on another. 

Its a soft lock. It searches for closest/best match... If none, then expands for next best option. You will still have oor players in your game. Because they are playing in thier own off peak. 

The real question should be. 

Do you really think Pubg Corp can implement good region lock with clever algorithms?

To answer that. Well. No. 

Edited by XmasTeaTowel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

With the way pubg uses client-side hit detection you will never be rid of what people are calling desync.

Lower ping will result in faster communication between servers and our machines which will result in us seeing more accurate representations of the game state. 

Posted (edited)

It makes sense, how long have you heard people say playing on “blahblah” server is better and you have better connect than so an so lol bunch of clowns lagging up the server trying to stay connected to a server on the other side of the world 

Edited by x MeAt SLiNgEr x
  • Like 3

and this is why some times having dedicated servers is not always the best. got to have some hybrid system like COD and Destiny has, or connections will be all eff up. 

I remember playing some games the last few years where we had east coast players complaining about west coast players changing their regions and vice versa. And this was causing issues solely with U.S. players. Right now we have U.S. players in the same game with Canadians,S. Americans,New Zealanders,part of the U.K, and damn near all the Australians, not to mention the ones I'm leaving out. Will it help? Sure as hell will. To the level we all want? Hell no. 

I brought this up months back and people acted like I was an idiot but why some people cannot see that having players 3,000-5,000 +miles away from the server they are playing on is bad for everyone is beyond me.

I know there are areas that have limited players having a hard time finding games etc. But allowing them in affects everyone else. Maybe and hopefully this will be the starting point for improved game quality for every1 and they will also be able to help the players with match issues as well.

• Like 1

I’m not looking forward to it because I live in Australia. I usually play on the NA server to actually get a game. Between 1am to 4am EST I play on the EU server. 

But, if all Australian players are doing the same thing as me, and the distance is causing the desync.. make this will help.

I write this just after playing a game where I ran through a doorway past a guy waiting for me, and shot him in the back.. or so I thought. His gun was pointing at 120 degrees away from me while he started firing and he killed me. I imagine that his view was me running though the doorway and him firing directly at me. I saw a guy firing in a direction away from me who killed me. This happens quite a bit. 

So, if the new idea improves this ****and I can also get a game, including FPP**** then it will be very good. But if I have to wait 5 mins or more for each game I will be sad. ***Very sad***. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think it will help. Here's why:

The purpose is to keep people with relatively high pings out of the game server. If this were achieved, then obviously people with relatively low pings would be left in the server. 
The problem is, to cover the entire world, there are 3 server locations. This means for instance that ALL of North America connects to the North American server. If you use wireshark and look at the IP addresses you connect to when playing pubg, it is mainly AWS in Ohio. So, everyone in North America connects to Ohio. Some people in the Continental US will have ~100ms pings to it. Keep in mind Canada and South America will have much higher pings than that. You've locked them in these servers with you... which will almost certainly keep the problem in tact. 

So will region locking make things better? I don't see how it has ANY chance to do that unless they increase the number of game servers and expand the amount of regions... which they have already said they will not do. I understand the argument will be "what could it hurt?  Let's try it and see." The problem with that logic is... that's how people ruin their lives with experimenting with drugs, etc. The logic is flawed AF. At least right now, we can change region if we are experiencing heavy desync. Most of the time you'll be able to find a server that you don't get heavy desync on. What this tells us is quite clear. The game servers are overloaded rather than our ping being the main cause of desync. 

The solution is this:
Have the client ping all regions while starting. Ping each server 10 times while loading and average those 10 pings. Whichever server averages the lowest ping and is less than 80ms is the selected region. If they do not average <80ms to any region, they will automatically be in "global" region with no option to select any region. The player has the option to manually select "global" which will allow them to play with their out of region friends, but everyone playing in this "region" accepts that they will get an automatically selected game server and could possibly desync like mad. The game server will be selected based upon its utilization. (utilization varies based on time. Since few play between 3am and 9am, and the servers are in very different time zones, there will always be an under-utilized server available for this. 

Edited by Defeat Redcoats

I don't think it's going to make any difference at this point in time. I think the player numbers have dropped so far that to split people up into groups based on ping will increase lobby wait times significantly, to the point it just matches us with the exact same people we play against now. The games dying faster than the average game because its so broken. Games are regularly starting with less than 100 people already even at peak times. 

It's too little, far too late. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, x1337LEE1337x said:

I don't think it's going to make any difference at this point in time. I think the player numbers have dropped so far that to split people up into groups based on ping will increase lobby wait times significantly, to the point it just matches us with the exact same people we play against now. The games dying faster than the average game because its so broken. Games are regularly starting with less than 100 people already even at peak times. 

It's too little, far too late. 

Agree even with the majority playing on NA i've still gotten a few lobbies that only had 50 players and a few that took a while to fill up this shows that pubg is dieing on xbox

I certainly hope so, I saw a large volume of players this weekend jumping around from spot to spot. super annoying trying to kill those guys

Look at all other games out there. Region lock won’t fix this issue.  It will help some but it’s a game/server issue more than anything.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dr.Abacus said:

Look at all other games out there. Region lock won’t fix this issue.  It will help some but it’s a game/server issue more than anything.

Amen!

Pc players certainly don’t seem impressed atm! Not so much of an issue for Xbox but a lot of people are using VPNs.

1 hour ago, X GrantVXR said:

Pc players certainly don’t seem impressed atm! Not so much of an issue for Xbox but a lot of people are using VPNs.

easy fix is they can block VPN networks like alot of other websites does. It can be done. 

But yes 2 issues are at play. Too many people on one location and not enough at other locations. Think they need to add addiontal resources across the waters and maybe open up the SD AWS, however this game is on azure so that explains alot of issues as well. 

15 hours ago, x MeAt SLiNgEr x said:

It makes sense, how long have you heard people say playing on “blahblah” server is better and you have better connect than so an so lol bunch of clowns lagging up the server trying to stay connected to a server on the other side of the world 

I have played in EU and NA servers and have the exact same gameplay and smoothness no desync or lag etc bar once In a blue moon and the people I play with had no issues with anything with me playing in their region 

7 hours ago, mac9yv3r said:

easy fix is they can block VPN networks like alot of other websites does. It can be done. 

But yes 2 issues are at play. Too many people on one location and not enough at other locations. Think they need to add addiontal resources across the waters and maybe open up the SD AWS, however this game is on azure so that explains alot of issues as well. 

I totally agree they need to open up additional resources. They could take a chunk out of the problem instead of making a dent but from what I understand it boils down to them not wanting to pay for those resources that without a doubt would improve gameplay. 

I know about the least a person could about servers but I do know there are a hell of a lot more that could have been utilized a long time ago. Now the issue is gonna be that places like Australia and etc are gonna have a high # of player drops because instead of utilizing at least 2 servers I know of there they left them high and dry with no options but to jump into our locations, causing them and us issues. 

I can only imagine the # of players worldwide who gave up on this game already. It's truly a shame to considering this is one of those games that will influence others for yrs to come.

Common sense tells me it may help desync/lag latency/ or others things that will give a better experience.

60ms ping/vs 300+ms ping (BAD)

60ms ping/vs 60ms ping (GOOD)

C'mon people it will defiantly help in someway. It should of been released first patch of alpha (game preview). Luckily it's happening. :)

4 hours ago, Tomdunn1993 said:

I have played in EU and NA servers and have the exact same gameplay and smoothness no desync or lag etc bar once In a blue moon and the people I play with had no issues with anything with me playing in their region 

**ON YOUR SCREEN**

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Lone wolf said:

Does anyone really believe that this will be the answer 

23 hours ago, XmasTeaTowel said:

The real question should be. 

Do you really think Pubg Corp can implement good region lock with clever algorithms?

To answer that. Well. No. 

^ this is what I'm thinking.

14 hours ago, Defeat Redcoats said:

The problem is, to cover the entire world, there are 3 server locations. This means for instance that ALL of North America connects to the North American server.

So will region locking make things better? I don't see how it has ANY chance to do that unless they increase the number of game servers and expand the amount of regions...

The solution is this:
Have the client ping all regions while starting. Ping each server 10 times while loading and average those 10 pings. Whichever server averages the lowest ping and is less than 80ms is the selected region. If they do not average <80ms to any region, they will automatically be in "global" region with no option to select any region.

Yeah, that's the problem.

Your solution is more or less what I assumed they should try to implement anyway. That it won't be a hard region lock, which would have made no sense anyway because of the reasons you said (SA players on NA servers, having a worse ping to NA than the EU players do), but it will be ping-based matchmaking instead.

You'll load the game, pinging the servers, if you do nothing then you will get your local servers and it will try to populate your lobby with 'similar' pings. In theory, if you're under 50ms, then you should never get some grotty high pinger in there with you. If you have a high ping to that 'local' server then you get matched with other high pingers. If you play out-of-region, with a high ping then you should only get matched in the high ping lobbies.

With that we should see the majority of US players matching with other US players and some Canadians filling the gaps, you'll probably get some Brits in there too - I assume so because my ping to NA servers is 75ms, which isn't very high in the scheme of things. This should also cause SA players to match with other SA players and with the majority of the out-of-region players because their pings are also similar (more so than the low pingers anyway). This would be great for people with low pings but could be pretty nasty for high pingers - without additional servers, it's the only real option.

If they do it this way AND they keep it relatively strict AND there are enough players to fill the lobbies - without having to fill the lobby gaps with dissimilar pings - then it could make the world of difference.

Will they do this? I doubt it. They won't make it strict enough and it won't take stability of the ping into account, meaning real s*** connections (packet loss, jitter, spikes) will still cause plenty of problems. And even if they did try to do this, they've shown that they're incompetent.

Edited by ColonicBoom

It will only help if done properly.  Pubg has a horrible reputation in doing things half arsed so, it will work just or be a cluster f ck

Posted (edited)

Hopefully a lot more server locations are added when they roll this out ..... otherwise , as people have discussed here, this might make a negligible impact.

If anything they should just kick people from the game if they have high ping

Edited by ZOSU
Typo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, x MeAt SLiNgEr x said:

**ON YOUR SCREEN**

on my screen and on the rest of my squad on their own screen as if I was going to lag about for anyone else they would see it also and they have no issue with my movement shooting driving etc I don't teleport about the map I don't have issues with anything as if I had a bad desync and lag issue I would see it on my own screen and they would see it on theirs so your wrong not everyone playing in different regions have any issue ive played more in NA servers than in EU