Soo, I'll be that guy.

Please consider a release for Linux/SteamOS.

I have been spending way too much time these past weekends watching streams of pu:b and I am wondering about any plans to bring this game to other OS after release. I read the comment about looking into consoles in the future, but I have yet to see any statement concerning Linux/SteamOS or Mac.

I understand that the main focus is of course adding all the features, the new map(s?) and optimizing performance / polishing it up prior to release. But i really really REALLY don't want to go back to Windows :( (insert copypasta about growing Linux gaming market share and players buying everything that has decent production value). And since the game is based on the Unreal 4 Engine, it might even be viable(?). 

tl,dr: Linux!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I heard that Linux and Apple aren't in top priority for the developers right now since the player base is small and putting resources into now isn't worth it. Windows version first.

Edited by azgoodaz

yeah it wont happen.  its a catch 22 with Linux games.  The game doesnt have a high amount of players on Linux so they refuse to dive into it....but then again they dont have a high playerbase on Linux because developers wont dive into it lol.  it doesn't make sense at all

I read recently on PC Gamer that Battlegrounds has sold 1 million buys on Steam, I think there's a safe assumption that the interested is certainly there. Count me in as well for Linux support!

On 4/10/2017 at 9:36 PM, loamybeard said:

I read recently on PC Gamer that Battlegrounds has sold 1 million buys on Steam, I think there's a safe assumption that the interested is certainly there. Count me in as well for Linux support!

It's not a matter of IS there interest. It's a matter of how much and is it fiscally viable for them to spend X amount of time and Y amount of money. No use in spending Y amount of money if they'll only see 0.5Y return. 

On 4/19/2017 at 8:23 AM, Jbwrecked said:

It's not a matter of IS there interest. It's a matter of how much and is it fiscally viable for them to spend X amount of time and Y amount of money. No use in spending Y amount of money if they'll only see 0.5Y return. 

I certainly agree with you. My concern is more philosophical with the industry at large. I get the sense that the trend for game developers to incorporate the X and Y into game design. My thinking is to let the business analysts run the predictive models on trends and figure out the cost-benefit and let's keep designers as big dreamers that want to create great content and not project managers trying to maximize ROI. 

I completely understand it's a very complicated process. But the question of "Will PUBG support Linux/Steam OS?" should be easily identified on a roadmap and it's a simple answer to the community. 

Another gamer here expressing interest in a Linux version.

MANY people use Linux but keep a KVM or dual boot windows for games. Its a poor excuse to say UE4 is too difficult or uneconomic to build for Linux or other operating systems. One of the best features of unreal engine is the build tools...

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Compiling_For_Linux

Posted (edited)
On 12.3.2017 at 5:03 AM, SiN said:

yeah it wont happen.  its a catch 22 with Linux games.  The game doesnt have a high amount of players on Linux so they refuse to dive into it....but then again they dont have a high playerbase on Linux because developers wont dive into it lol.  it doesn't make sense at all

Don't lie:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/578080/discussions/1/135510194254820801/

I would love to see a Linux Version, too. Because i don't buy Windo(w)s only Games. Yes i have PUBG, but it was a gift. I played PUBG on Windos yes, but i hate to dualboot so i don't play it anymore if we don't get a Linux Version.

Unreal Engine 4 and BattlEye supports Linux Clients. For BattlEye see ARK and Insurgency and both games have a linux client. ARK is in EA, too.

Come on Dev's we make a deal: Put a Close Beta Client for the Linux gamers on Steam and see how much Linux Gamers want play this game and as the feedback is.

Is all fine you can open the Beta.

Dev's, i don't think you understand and understated the Linux Community.

So +1 for a Linux Version.

Edited by [FCS-DE]^oo^[Linux]

Posted (edited)

I'm really considering buying PUBG, but I'd really prefer playing it on Linux !

What about teaming up with Feral ? (https://www.feralinteractive.com/)

They ported a lot of games to Linux, like Life is Strange, Hitman, Tomb Raider or XCOM 2, and all those games runs really well. About the cost of porting, this will not cost anything (if I understanded correctly) : they take percentage of the price of the game if the player played the game on Linux first.

@ApexAZ you can run DirectX 9 (and earlier versions) games with Wine without much trouble, and you can also run Vulkan games perfectly (like Dom 2016). But for DirectX 10/11/12, a lot of games simply wont run with Wine, or run but at unplayable framerates.

Edited by Tuxbot123
Added reply to @ApexAZ

Set me up with a copy. I'll test it with WINE (I've already played through The Witcher 3 + both DLCs by using WINE). If it runs, you'll get a sample of how many Linux users will buy the game. (My guess is: if it runs, the Linux gamer community will pounce like ferrets on a dancing rabbit.)

More importantly, you'll help provide an opportunity to disconnect from the MS monopoly. UE4 runs great on Linux, and gets better every update. Unreal Tournament, that thing that made EPIC Games, runs great on Linux: My Player Card.

UE4 allows packaging for both Windows and Linux from the same assets with a few clicks. Why wouldn't you do both?

If all of this sounds like too much work for a less-than investment-return, consider preparing this game for Vulkan. Most all game devs will be switching to Vulkan; doesn't make any sense not to switch.

Give us a bone to chew. Make the statement: once PUBG switches to Vulkan (which it will), a Linux port will be forthcoming.

You will still be at risk from the next UE4 Vulkan (+Linux) Battle Royale game that's already in the works, somewhere.

Get the jump on them.

A declaration for Linux is a declaration for freedom from state-sponsored corporate monopolies. A declaration for choice.

Hello,

I am an avid user/supporter of linux. Yet, as most of the gamers I know that use linux, I have to purchase windows to use as a literal game system. I don't do anything on windows besides gaming. But I have to install it because many developers refuse to develop for linux. I'm sure you can imagine how annoying it is to have to buy an OS which is bloated and insecure due to a developers refusal to support a rapidly growing OS community.

It goes without saying, that the developers who refuse to develop games for linux are the ONLY reason I own Windows. The interest in gaming on linux is rather high which is backed by the existence of WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam for Linux, Q4Wine, CrossOver, Lutris, Ubuntu Gamepack, Fedora Games Spin,  Play Linux OS, Game Drift Linux,  Win4Lin, The number of tutorials for Virtual Machines for windows to play games, and the list goes on and on.

If you check the common places (ie) winehq, playonlinux, the steam community thread, reddit, etc etc. You will see that there is a rather large interest in pubg on linux....

There is a high demand on linux for all games but the fact that the common response when the community wants a game for linux is "there are not enough people interested in playing to justify the development time necessary to implement", with no actual sources of said statistics, is just simply not true.

I would love to see a new developer like BlueHole actually support their games for their entire player base. Sadly, given the responses I have seen on the multitude of linux support requests, I do not see this happening. Luckily for us, the linux community will likely end up doing it for you. :|

That or someone else will, and the linux community will go there. Just curious, if you can answer this, How many people would have to request this directly to you for you to support it for that part of your community?

Regards,