James A

Death by Blue Zone 80% of the time!!!

I'm still relatively new to PUBG. Had to learn it the hard way playing solos and watching the pros on Youtube. I have become decent at the game, but still FAR FROM GOOD. I usually play a game with stealth in mind. My biggest problem is the Blue Zone! When I first started playing (about 2 months ago) I could outrun the zone if I planned ahead and had enough boosts. Now however the game has become nothing more than a bland COD Survival match every time I play. Admittedly, I seem to just be unlucky, with the Safe Zone always appearing as far from me as possible. But even utilizing tips from the Pros I find myself dying to the fast moving, extreme damage causing Blue Zone! Even if I am lucky enough to find a vehicle and race to the next Play Zone I am head shot (single shot, instant death every time) while driving, or killed as soon as I leave the vehicle because the sound announces my location. The game has removed the stealth aspect, and become nothing more than a run and gun, kill and camp, run again scenario. especially on the bigger maps. I can usually make it to the top 10 in most games. But by then I have no boosts, healing items, and low health, because the Blue Zone burned it all up. I have fallen in the top 3 several times because it only takes one hit to kill me, even with fresh level 2/3 gear on. From what I understand Bluehole was going to slow the wall down a little. It seems like the times between the reduction have been increased, but the Zone itself advances faster and causes more damage. What do I do?

• RIP 1

I came in # 10 today because I had to stop and fight it out with an enemy as the wall closed in. As soon as he dropped I ran. The zone overtook me and I died at the very edge of the Safe Zone. I had great gear! Especially the Medkit, 3 First Aid Kits, and several boosts I never had time to use because the zone is too fast and hits too hard. I had a good chance to win my very first game (I spectated my lesser outfitted opponents upon my death), but it was stolen from me because I had to stop and deal with an opponent which let the wall kill me.
  • RIP 1

No help here?

I'm guessing my only option is to hot drop the middle of the map, hope I survive being a vulture off the drops and dead carcasses, then camp the middle and kill the dudes with no health left as they run directly at me from the deadly blue zone, like everyone else. No wonder this game is bleeding players.

Chill bro, the forums aren't as lively on the weekends, it sounds like you're still experiencing the same growing pains that everybody else that's been playing since day one or yesterday have to experience.  I suggest dropping to a spot with a vehicle to begin with and then move to where you would have parachuted, use the vehicle to go from place to place.  If you want to get better at shooting and the firefights that seem to be killing you one shot, every time, then drop hot and fight it out with somebody.  I promise that the blue zone isn't out there making a personal vendetta against just you.  It feels like the game is coming after you at points, I get that.  Don't get salty about it, just know that's all part of the game.  If you're not having fun then find another game, that's fine.  You should also try to find another 3 people to play with.  I've had a better time on a massive shit luck streak with my friends than I have on a multi-chicken day by myself.  

Edited by SmittyKelso
  • Like 3

Either Drop close to center of map or land somewhere near a vehicle spawn. Every time the circle closes try to get as close to the center as possible. Keep a vehicle close to you at all times. If you are playing on Sanhok then you really don't even need to use vehicles. After a while you will start to get the hang of predicting the circle shift and will be better at staying ahead of it. You also need to learn to loot faster and refrain from looting every house while on the move. Get the basic gear and decent loadout. Then start hunting. Let the other players loot for you. The circle has been tweaked many times and in my opinion is pretty balanced at the moment. Also, if you boost completely it will allow you to run faster which helps and will also replenish your health while trapped in the blue. Stay boosted as much as possible. Good luck

• Like 3

Situational awareness and time management are two things you should have high on your priorities at the beginning of the game. Also, make sure you have collected enough meds to deal with the blue if it does catch up.  I've been able to survive quite a while in the first 2 blue zones by efficiently using meds and boosters.  Get to know the maps in detail (the more you play the map the more you will get to know when and where vehicles spawn).  When you are parachuting to the ground make sure that you check out surroundings for nearby vehicles for backup.  Try not to get drawn towards a fight whenever you are in the blue zone, keep your head down and get to the safe zone first.  You will get the hang of it eventually.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Andymh5 said:

Situational awareness and time management are two things you should have high on your priorities at the beginning of the game. Also, make sure you have collected enough meds to deal with the blue if it does catch up.  I've been able to survive quite a while in the first 2 blue zones by efficiently using meds and boosters.  Get to know the maps in detail (the more you play the map the more you will get to know when and where vehicles spawn).  When you are parachuting to the ground make sure that you check out surroundings for nearby vehicles for backup.  Try not to get drawn towards a fight whenever you are in the blue zone, keep your head down and get to the safe zone first.  You will get the hang of it eventually.

Hey Andy, I know it’s Monday, but today is my Friday, and I’m off for the next two days. Any chance I’m gonna catch the PTS—>LIVE push on my days off? ?

I appreciate the advise. I'm just so frustrated with this game. My situational awareness is very good. I usually get a head start on the zone, but anywhere away from the center is certain death unless you get that lucky drop and find tons of meds. I'm not great at dropping hot zones, but I'll try again. Seems to me the only strategy left is to camp the center and vulture every carcass I'm lucky enough to come across. I am a working adult, so don't have hundreds of hours to put into learning the maps (best drops, gear, vehicle spawns, etc.).  I love the realistic feel of PUBG, but I guess it's just too much game for me. Played Fortnite once. Couldn't figure it out.

Honestly, I'm just not skilled enough I guess. But I have noticed that a lot of players aren't even trying for Chicken Dinners, they're just getting as many kills as possible before the blue takes them.

24 minutes ago, SmittyKelso said:

Chill bro, the forums aren't as lively on the weekends, it sounds like you're still experiencing the same growing pains that everybody else that's been playing since day one or yesterday have to experience.  I suggest dropping to a spot with a vehicle to begin with and then move to where you would have parachuted, use the vehicle to go from place to place.  If you want to get better at shooting and the firefights that seem to be killing you one shot, every time, then drop hot and fight it out with somebody.  I promise that the blue zone isn't out there making a personal vendetta against just you.  It feels like the game is coming after you at points, I get that.  Don't get salty about it, just know that's all part of the game.  If you're not having fun then find another game, that's fine.  You should also try to find another 3 people to play with.  I've had a better time on a massive shit luck streak with my friends than I have on a multi-chicken day by myself.  

Thank you. I don't have a lot of online friends that match my work schedule, but I did enjoy teams when I have played. I don't even mind dying in the game. Even getting killed and spectating can be enjoyable. But the frustration of getting so close again and again just to lose to the game, not another player, is killing me. All of my friends have like 10 chicken dinners, and I can't close that deal.

Thanks for explaining the forums too. I've never used one before. This is the most I've ever immersed myself into any game. I'm being a bit over passionate about it. My apologies.

my biggest advise to get good at this game is to drop hot until fighting someone isn't a big deal and you feel very comfortable with it. At the end of the day you're gonna have to fight someone at some point, so might as well be as good at that as possible. There are times when trying to stay hidden instead of fighting will get you killed so its good to have confidence in your own abilities when that time comes, especially in the smaller circles. dropping closer to the middle of the map is a good strat because you are more likely to be in the first zone and have plenty of time to loot. It's also important to note that the smaller the safe zone is the more damage the blue does. other than that make sure to learn from every death, think about how/why you died and think what you could have done differently or better.

• Thanks 1

I understand perfectly how the blue zone works. It just sucks that the only tactic is camping the center. You are correct as far as fighting. I used to be good at it, but now I'm not so sure. It seems every opponent I get is a pro. I can't learn because I'm just dead. Guess the best advise im getting is if you're a noob... Don't play PUBG.

I let a guy bait me today. He was driving a truck and honking because he knew my basic position. He had been hunting me for a while. I fired on him multiple times with M16 bursts. Nothing! He drove a distance from me, jumped out of a moving truck, and shot me with a single tap before he touched the ground. I tried to return fire, but he tapped me again as I peeked. So I ran again. I escaped, but died with my next contact because I suck with the M16.

I can't compete with these ultra pros. Guess I simply wasted money and hours on a game I should never have tried in the first place. 

4 minutes ago, James A said:

I understand perfectly how the blue zone works. It just sucks that the only tactic is camping the center. You are correct as far as fighting. I used to be good at it, but now I'm not so sure. It seems every opponent I get is a pro. I can't learn because I'm just dead. Guess the best advise im getting is if you're a noob... Don't play PUBG.

I let a guy bait me today. He was driving a truck and honking because he knew my basic position. He had been hunting me for a while. I fired on him multiple times with M16 bursts. Nothing! He drove a distance from me, jumped out of a moving truck, and shot me with a single tap before he touched the ground. I tried to return fire, but he tapped me again as I peeked. So I ran again. I escaped, but died with my next contact because I suck with the M16.

I can't compete with these ultra pros. Guess I simply wasted money and hours on a game I should never have tried in the first place. 

This game isnt like COD, you cant expect you do good first starting out. This game has a huge learning curve and it takes a while to get used to it. Keep your head up and keep at it. You'll get the hang of it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MrSoggyWaffle25 said:

This game isnt like COD, you cant expect you do good first starting out. This game has a huge learning curve and it takes a while to get used to it. Keep your head up and keep at it. You'll get the hang of it. 

Thanks. I appreciate all the input everyone is providing. Just wish there was a way for xbox users to learn the game without facing expert assassins all day. I spend more time in lobby than playing when I hot drop. LOL!

3 hours ago, Tambio said:

my biggest advise to get good at this game is to drop hot until fighting someone isn't a big deal and you feel very comfortable with it. At the end of the day you're gonna have to fight someone at some point, so might as well be as good at that as possible. There are times when trying to stay hidden instead of fighting will get you killed so its good to have confidence in your own abilities when that time comes, especially in the smaller circles. dropping closer to the middle of the map is a good strat because you are more likely to be in the first zone and have plenty of time to loot. It's also important to note that the smaller the safe zone is the more damage the blue does. other than that make sure to learn from every death, think about how/why you died and think what you could have done differently or better.

Thank you for the advise. 

4 minutes ago, James A said:

Thanks. I appreciate all the input everyone is providing. Just wish there was a way for xbox users to learn the game without facing expert assassins all day. I spend more time in lobby than playing when I hot drop. LOL!

They did just add the training mode on the PTS. Give it a shot and get used to the guns and attachments

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrSoggyWaffle25 said:

They did just add the training mode on the PTS. Give it a shot and get used to the guns and attachments

Where do I find that? There's no option in the lobby. 

7 minutes ago, James A said:

Where do I find that? There's no option in the lobby. 

The PTS is a separate PUBG server that’s free to download for anyone who already owns a copy of PUBG. The purpose of the test server is not just to provide a preview of upcoming features, but to find the issues we need to solve so we can work on the fix as soon as possible. The changes listed below are all coming to the PTS first because many of the changes still needs to be tested to see if there are any issues with performance.

To take part in the test, all you have to do is own a copy of PUBG for Xbox One and search for “PUBG Test Server” on the Microsoft Store.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MrSoggyWaffle25 said:

The PTS is a separate PUBG server that’s free to download for anyone who already owns a copy of PUBG. The purpose of the test server is not just to provide a preview of upcoming features, but to find the issues we need to solve so we can work on the fix as soon as possible. The changes listed below are all coming to the PTS first because many of the changes still needs to be tested to see if there are any issues with performance.

To take part in the test, all you have to do is own a copy of PUBG for Xbox One and search for “PUBG Test Server” on the Microsoft Store.

Awesome! Thanks. 

I really do love the game ( bugs and glitches aside). It's just insanely hard to learn if you don't get the chance. 

Used to be, if I dropped away from center, I could get gear to fight with. Now that the blue zone has destroyed that tactic, what gear I do scrounge up just can't compete. I hope PTS can help me get my game back. 

6 minutes ago, James A said:

Awesome! Thanks. 

I really do love the game ( bugs and glitches aside). It's just insanely hard to learn if you don't get the chance. 

Used to be, if I dropped away from center, I could get gear to fight with. Now that the blue zone has destroyed that tactic, what gear I do scrounge up just can't compete. I hope PTS can help me get my game back. 

Indeed the training mode will assist you in getting used to the guns and mechanics. But as @andymh5 said, time management and awareness are key to survival from the blue zone. 

• Thanks 1

If you play on sanhok you'll rarely die to the blue zone.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cliq said:

If you play on sanhok you'll rarely die to the blue zone.

Yeah... And I get a lesson in getting shot by unseen opponents. It doesn't stop me though. One of my favorite maps. 

Okay... update. I'm done! I appreciate all your help, but this game sucks! I took all your advice, followed all your suggestions, and nothing. I used to get at least 2 to 3 kills a game (nothing compared to all of you I'm sure), but now I can't hit anyone! LET ME REPHRASE... CAN'T KILL ANYONE!!!

The first opponent I fight in every game destroys me with minimal ease, while I unload magazine after magazine into people and nothing happens.

From a distance I hit an opponent 5 times with an M16A4... didn't even slow them down.

Point blank unloaded an AK into the face of an opponent with a level 3 helmet. A single 3 shot burst of their M16 ruined me via head shot even at full health with a level 3 vest and level 2 helmet.

Threw a grenade into a room occupied by an opponent. They simply walk away and strafe me to death with an AK in seconds.

Point blank range unloaded an SK auto shotgun into an opponent with no helmet. He killed me with 2 shots from his M16.

Dumped a full extended magazine into someone from my M16A4. They dance away and shred me with a quick burst from their BMP.

These are just some examples of the fifty or so deaths I suffered today. These were all solid hits. Took my time with ADS. Saw blood. But nothing!

I've been playing like this for hours on end. Is there some cheat I don't know about? Some armor that's new to the game? Some special code Bluehole gives to high ranking players to make them tougher?

I don't even play near the wall. I drop center and scrounge for gear. I drop into hot zones and fight again and again and again. I can see my attacks hitting my enemy, but it has no effect. Could it be my internet? Or do I really just suck this bad?

• RIP 2

If you're dying to the zone it's 100% a player issue I'm afraid. You can blame nobody but yourself if you're moving into the safe zone too late.

Use a vehicle, but don't just stop it as soon as you get into the "safe zone", find cover, find somewhere safe and stop it there.

You have plenty of warning that the blue is coming, and early game (first and second circle) you can survive in the blue for several minutes, longer if you have decent meds.

If this is a "late game" issue when the zone truly does hurt, well I don't know what to tell you, stop trying to avoid combat on the edge of the playzone and get into the safe area faster.

• Like 2

The first opponent I fight in every game destroys me with minimal ease, while I unload magazine after magazine into people and nothing happens

You're not "unloading magazine after magazine" into him, you are missing.

Point blank unloaded an AK into the face of an opponent with a level 3 helmet. A single 3 shot burst of their M16 ruined me via head shot even at full health with a level 3 vest and level 2 helmet

No, again you probably missed. Do you have a vid of this? I'm assuming no.

In fact, reading all of this post, you're probably just missing these people... this game (as previously stated) is hard.

You need to play smart, use cover and get position on people, especially if you're not that good a shot.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Turn on the DVR in settings if you haven't already. Then you can watch a replay of all your deaths. It has helped me. Many times I thought I should've won a gun fight only to watch the replay and realize i missed most of my shots. It's a good way to identify mistakes and learn from them.