Sign in to follow this  
arcticnerd

Fixing 3rd person without enforcing 1st person

Posted (edited)

So far the only two opinions I've heard to solve this argument is we either switch entirely to first person or we keep the third person view. What I haven't heard is any ideas to fix the third person view. 

The primary problem people seem to have with the third person view is the ability to peak around objects freely. My thought would be to gray out any areas your player can't see directly. Any large objects (walls, rocks, trees, buildings) that block the view from your characters head would gray out your field of view behind them. 

In the gray area you could see the terrain features, buildings, trees, and the likes but you wouldn't be able to see any players. 

This would have the same effect as switching to first person view without the serious drawback of putting the blinders that come with a first person view. The extra field of view that the third person mode brings would be retained. 

Edited by arcticnerd

IF the 3rd person view HAS to be changed that would be the way to do it.

• Like 1

Some people like the third person play style, I also like the ability to utilize both 3rd and 1st person. A 1st person only mode is probably the best fix for people that find 3rd person unrealistic, or unfair to play against.

The problem with limiting views like that in third person, is that players would appear out of thin air, it would appear as if they're teleporting. Everyone would be shouting hacker every 5 seconds. It may also be difficult to judge the difference between grey and just dark areas. It would be pretty difficult to implement too, having characters render and unrender that often would just cause too many issues. People could easily abuse it, and it would probably sap a ton of resource. If someone was just on the edge of your vision, wiggling around, it just wouldn't work right. Imagine having to render in like 12 people if you run around the corner into a group. A grey area can't just hide a player model, it would have to unrender. (Probably, I don't really know but it seems unlikely)

Personally, I feel that everyone has access to that third person, and yes, it does give a huge advantage with vision, but that's down to the player to make use of that. That's not to say 3rd person is without it's downsides and balance issues. I made a post about this the other day and how to solve it. An interesting read into the mechanics of the game and the 3rd person camera. 

Sign in to follow this