Jump to content
Cleveland_SteamR

Sound Blaster Z: PUBG Sound Settings

Recommended Posts

As everyone well knows, PUB sound dynamics are very poorly optimized right now which hopefully will be rectified by the developers sometime in the near future?

However, for those using the Sound Blaster Z sound cards and with decent, high quality headphones (i use Sennheiser GAME ONES) and after much in-game trial & error testing, i have finally come up with what i believe to be the BEST sound setting tweeks for PUBG as follows:

Sound Playback Configure = Stereo (NOT 5.1 or 7.1 surround)
Sound Properties Advanced = 24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)
 
SBX Pro Studio = Off
Equalizer Settings:

31:  -4dB
62:  -3dB
125: 2dB
250: 4dB
500: 6dB
1k:   5dB
2k: 10dB
4k: 10dB
8k:   9dB
16k: 9dB
dB Level: 10

Re-configuring your sound settings as shown above will greatly improve your overall experience in game as you will now be able to pinpoint the direction gun shots are being fired at you as well as allow you to hear enemy footsteps nearby with much better clarity. 

If anyone else has some EQ settings they would like to share please feel free to post them in this thread as i'd like to try what others are using.
Enjoy!!!

Edited by Cleveland_SteamR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was used to eq my sound for onboard device, but buyed soundblaster z because it noised up too much.

Default or scout mode is enough for me to hear them even in next building close to me.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Killua said:

I was used to eq my sound for onboard device, but buyed soundblaster z because it noised up too much.

Default or scout mode is enough for me to hear them even in next building close to me.

 

Personally, i didn't find Scout mode too helpful as i found that it made the other noises much too loud for my liking.  I couldn't get the hot key activation to work properly and when i did i found that all it did was raise the overall dB level to a point that it was counter productive but hey, if it works for you to each their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a day of using these settings I can conclude that they work well. The gun fire, footsteps, opening and closing of doors is so clear and distinct. good job Cleveland_SteamR

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing the game for some time, I haven't really had an issue pin-pointing directional sound. Although, I am interested in trying this.

I don't have an external sound card or any OF DIS FANCY SOFTWARE! But I will give this a shot in Razer surround.

I've only ever used it for music, but I'll disable all settings and try the EQ.

Cheers :) 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PUBG_Hawkinz said:

After playing the game for some time, I haven't really had an issue pin-pointing directional sound. Although, I am interested in trying this.

I don't have an external sound card or any OF DIS FANCY SOFTWARE! But I will give this a shot in Razer surround.

I've only ever used it for music, but I'll disable all settings and try the EQ.

Cheers :) 

Yeah for sure give it a try.  I'd be interested in seeing how the razer surround would work with these settings?  Although, keep in mind that Razer synapse is only virtual sound.  I highly recommend either way to keep stereo as your preset as 5.1 & 7.1 surround doesn't seem to work very well.  good Luck and be sure to let us know your findings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cleveland_SteamR said:

Yeah for sure give it a try.  I'd be interested in seeing how the razer surround would work with these settings?  Although, keep in mind that Razer synapse is only virtual sound.  I highly recommend either way to keep stereo as your preset as 5.1 & 7.1 surround doesn't seem to work very well.  good Luck and be sure to let us know your findings.

Pretty sure that it wouldn't work that well. 

I usually played on my HyperX Cloud II with 7.1 disabled. It didn't work all that well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Akaki said:

Pretty sure that it wouldn't work that well. 

I usually played on my HyperX Cloud II with 7.1 disabled. It didn't work all that well. 

What are you using for sound card/equalizer ???  As stated earlier, this game is NOT optimized for using 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also testing these equalizer settings, as I always have trouble determining the direction of footsteps, and regularly have difficulty figuring out which direction bullets are coming from too. I am trying to figure out if I just need more practice or if my headphones are making it more difficult than it should be.

For additional SBX sound settings (I think they are the SBX Pro Studio, that you said to turn off) such as Crystallization, Surround Sound, Bass and I think two voice related options do you have them turned off in the SB Control Panel or disabled in the Properties window for your headphones? Do you know if it makes a difference?

I currently have my my equalizer set as you suggested and the SBX Pro Studio options disabled in the Properties-->Enhancements window for my headphones. I think it is an improvement but will do some more tests.

Thanks!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2017 at 3:26 PM, Oscilioth said:

For additional SBX sound settings (I think they are the SBX Pro Studio, that you said to turn off) such as Crystallization, Surround Sound, Bass and I think two voice related options do you have them turned off in the SB Control Panel or disabled in the Properties window for your headphones? Do you know if it makes a difference?

I currently have my my equalizer set as you suggested and the SBX Pro Studio options disabled in the Properties-->Enhancements window for my headphones. I think it is an improvement but will do some more tests.

Thanks!

My appologies for not replying back sooner.... 

With regards to your question, Yes.  Be sure to ONLY use the SBX Equalizer settings i have provided and disable all the rest.  After that you should be able to roll.
Happy hunting  ;-)

Edited by Cleveland_SteamR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*** Revision ***

It has come to my attention that i neglected to mention in my original post to make sure you switch your Windows sound setting selection to "stereo sound" and to disable the 5.1 or 7.1 option.  This can be done as follows:

  • Right click on the speaker icon located on the lower right hand side in your task bar
  • Select Playback Devices
  • Select your Speakers device
  • Right click Configure
  • Select your Audio Channels to Stereo
  • Click Test
  • Click Next
  • Select Full Range Speakers and Click to Test

Also, check to make sure that your Windows Sample Rate/Bit Depth has been set to the proper parameters and that the Signal Enhancements option has been selected.  This can be done as follows:

  • Right click on the speaker icon located on the lower right hand side in your task bar
  • Select Playback Devices
  • Select your Speakers device
  • Left click Properties
  • Left click Advanced
  • Select your Default Format to 24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)
  • Make sure check mark is selected next to Enable Audio Enhancements

Whew !!!!   And that is it.  Once these Windows and Sound Blaster Equalizer settings have been completed your sound configuration should be complete and hopefully provide you with some much improved listening dynamics in the game.  That being said, I sincerely hope that the Developers address some of the poor sound issues players are currently experiencing in the game and bring it up to the level it truly deserves before the final launch so that all us loyal followers may finally be able experience & enjoy PUBG how it was meant to be played AND heard.

Happy PUBG Hunting Everyone  ;-)

Edited by Cleveland_SteamR
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had this settings with the sound blaster z and sennheiser game zero headset - i noticed people from miles away compared to the default settings or onboard sound. also the red-zone noise was much more bearable and the shoots wasn't that loud that i didn't hear anything else anymore. 

So +1 for @Cleveland_SteamR for his work on this. Hope you will update the Guide if PUBG gets a Sound-Rework since it helped a lot. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are sensitive to higher frequencies do not use these settings. Your ears will bleed.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:02 PM, Cleveland_SteamR said:

What are you using for sound card/equalizer ???  As stated earlier, this game is NOT optimized for using 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound

This game works fine with REAL 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound. It sends the sounds to the right speakers, but it still uses the buggy sound processing so audio still does't sound right. Most virtual surround solutions produce poor quality sound. Surround headphones are snake oil,  they don't produce the proper reverb to simulate direction and distance without software.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2017 at 11:04 PM, MrHappyPenguin said:

If you are sensitive to higher frequencies do not use these settings. Your ears will bleed.

This game works fine with REAL 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound. It sends the sounds to the right speakers, but it still uses the buggy sound processing so audio still does't sound right. Most virtual surround solutions produce poor quality sound. Surround headphones are snake oil,  they don't produce the proper reverb to simulate direction and distance without software.

I am disappointed that you feel this negative toward the settings i have provided.  To each their own i suppose?? 

Perhaps you'd care to indulge the rest of us what your preferred sound & EQ settings are for this game considering it has been mentioned many times by the PUBG developers themselves that the game in it's current state has no 5.1 or 7.1 sound optimization??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 4:00 PM, Cleveland_SteamR said:

I am disappointed that you feel this negative toward the settings i have provided.  To each their own i suppose?? 

Perhaps you'd care to indulge the rest of us what your preferred sound & EQ settings are for this game considering it has been mentioned many times by the PUBG developers themselves that the game in it's current state has no 5.1 or 7.1 sound optimization??

I would recommend using a flat EQ and buy headphones with a sound curve they prefer. EQ should only be used for fine adjustments.

The game works with surround, but the sound system itself is far from being optimized for any setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cleveland_SteamR said:

@MrHappyPenguin plz don't tell me that you are using your headphones while using 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound??  Too funny.... LMAO!!

Don't worry I'm not doing that. I've tested it with virtual surround and the true 7.1 output of my sound card with separate speakers. It works, but not ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhhh, i see.  i misunderstood...  much apologies.  As for trying this game in surround sound i too originally played the game in 5.1 with surround speakers in the den in my house until my neighbors next door politely told me that my sub was shaking their house at times next door and they were wondering what the heck was causing it.  LoL!!  Hence, the reason i started this post after i purchased a quality pair of headphones and upgraded my system with a sound card.  Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will test this on my Zx..  This has changed a ton of settings I already had in place.  Getting a new Z370 board and 8700k this week.  I hope the Zx performs better than the onboard.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello I'm using them, and those settings are great, i have got only one big problem, I cannot play without surround settings on the soundblaster panel, I'm using superlux HD680 evo headphones, and with my friend i did some testing sounds, without that setting I can hear only left,right, front/back(not witch) direction. With the surround ON I can clearly identify even the right cordially number at 300/400 meters. But if the setting is ON I lose at least 20/25% of the sound distance, let me explain : 

Ar shots sounds travel for 350m, I can hear them only if they are at 270/290m, steps can be hear at 30m, I hear them at 23/25m

Can someone help me? I really want kept the "surround", but of course those % of meters I lose are really annoying.

(At the start I was losing 50% of sound distance travel, with those settings I could get to 20/25%)(sorry for my bad English)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a fancy dedicated audio card, but I do have a Realtek onboard audio chip and it comes with something I assume is similar, Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3.

I am using Hyper X Cloud 2's and coupled with all the settings ClevelandSteamer provided, they are amazing. I have had them for about a month now and its been a rough go until I configured them with Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×