Hey guys, 

so it has come to my attention that smoke grenades are client-side. I have experienced this in three different occasions that further solidify this claim.

Idk if this is intentional, but it is definitely a huge issue. Someone had thrown a smoke to conceal their advance to another piece of cover (Rock to a tree). He threw the smoke grenade half way between, and smoke started to fill the void... on my screen, the smoke was blowing to the right, on my buddy's screen (whom I was spectating) The smoke blew to the left. The result is on my screen I see the enemy in question running wide open with no concealment, and my buddy who was actually in-game, could not see. However, on the enemy's screen, he was in the wide open as well, so he was able to see thru the 'smoke' at my buddy, when my buddy couldnt see though the smoke. 

I'm sure you can draw conclusions as to how this is not conducive to the multiplayer aspect of the game. To have one player potentially be able to see "through" smoke that the other player is denied is frankly unacceptable in its current state. 

Of course, I know this game is under development and this could very well be an issue coming down the pipe to be fixed, but I just wanted to highlight it further just in case.

Any word if this is going to be fixed? (and hopefully not 'working as intended')

-Agen7orange

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Woah. This is a serious problem if true. You're telling me, when I smoke screened the west so we couldn't get sandwiched by a team, we could have been jipped?

Woah.. Please don't be true. Fix this client side BS immediately. That's not how things should work in online gaming =\

This is worse than BF1 having client side weather effects. My friend is like "I can't see shit in this sandstorm." ...I look around and it's sunny with a blue sky. Way worse. Smoke grenades are an important strat in the end game of PUGB..

Edited by Optional

So far that has been my experience. 

Especially since i usually only pop one smoke at a time. You could get shot -- seemingly -- through the thickest portion of the smoke with dead accuracy. Its happened on multiple occasions. 

I hope they can at least look into this. 

• Like 2

I have come across this problem and i also think this is a serious problem. I think it is so serious that the smoke grenades should be removed from the game until they work on server-side.

I had the situation where a enemy was downstairs camping. I did throw a smoke grenade to the bottom of the stairs and waited until the room was filed with smoke. Then i did start to rush him. But the moment i was on the stairs he killed me. My mate had jumped down a balcony in the mean time and killed the enemy. Turned out from my perspective the smoke was everywhere on the bottom floor and i couldn't see anything while walking down but on the screen of my mate and looking from downstairs at the smoke all the smoke was at the top of the stairs and on the bottom floor there was no smoke at all.

My tactic was good but the game did fail. I think this is a big issue!

Smoke grenades need to look the same on all screens / clients!

could also work the other way around you throw a smoke, the smoke moves to the left side on ur screen someone coming up moving that way cuz on his screen the smoke is moving to the right side (from your point of view) therefore u have no smoke and have clear view on ur opponent and he has no view on you cuz u are hided by the smoke

Posted (edited)

Smoke grenades also have the issue of not rendering past a certain range. You could be laying in a field surrounded by smoke and all a hillside sniper sees is some idiot laying in the grass. The system could definitely use some work as smokes are only really useful in close range encounters and even then they are only useful if you drop a few at once in the same general area.

Edited by Quiz

This definitely is a ongoing issue that really limits the effectiveness of smoke grenades.. hopefully its being worked on 

Just now, Agen7orange said:

This definitely is a ongoing issue that really limits the effectiveness of smoke grenades.. hopefully its being worked on 

I agree, it's quite frustrating to be lulled into a false sense of security when you throw a smoke.

This is the latest information I could find regarding smokes, so they are aware of it and we may very well see a fix soon enough =)

9joOMCt.png

Several videos out there from Twitch streamers that show smokes being used and only rendering on the person's screen that threw it.  So you are just harming yourself when using them.......needs to be fixed or remove them.  Just make them server side and  be done with it.

It is definitely client-side. Not sure why a static "wind" doesn't exists, set on server start, so all smoke will drift in the same direction for all clients. They apparently already sync the orientation of the smoke-grenade, so that should make it near similar for everyone.

Another issue is it sometimes bugs out for whoever threw smoke(s), and half your screen fills up with smoke after those you threw have run out. It fixes itself within 10-15 seconds, but can be quite annoying if it is in the middle of a fight. For these reasons smoke is rarely used for me, it cannot be trusted.

This and other things must be serverside. Sound of cars etc are so often played only for some players and not for others. Really needs solving