hwinn

New sound patch feedback

hwinn    13

Hey all, first time posting here but I thought I'd share some thoughts on the latest sound patch that came out. While there are some positives such as louder footsteps, better directional sound, and fixed door sounds, I find one change to be greatly detrimental towards the game play itself. Making crouch walking loud again removed all possibilities of being able to sneak up on your opponent and outplay them. It lowers the skill gap and plays to the advantage of people camping in houses. If you want your players to feel truly immersed in battlegrounds, having a quiet movement mechanic (like walking in CS) is essential to balanced and fair play. While the previous crouch walking might have been a bit too fast movement-wised, it was effective and easy to get the jump on someone you spotted camping a house.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents after 250 games played and over 1000 kills (#1 for kill rating atm) - hopefully others feel the same as I do.

Best,

hwinn

• Like 10

Tykjen    188
2 minutes ago, hwinn said:

Hey all, first time posting here but I thought I'd share some thoughts on the latest sound patch that came out. While there are some positives such as louder footsteps, better directional sound, and fixed door sounds, I find one change to be greatly detrimental towards the game play itself. Making crouch walking loud again removed all possibilities of being able to sneak up on your opponent and outplay them. It lowers the skill gap and plays to the advantage of people camping in houses. If you want your players to feel truly immersed in battlegrounds, having a quiet movement mechanic (like walking in CS) is essential to balanced and fair play. While the previous crouch walking might have been a bit too fast movement-wised, it was effective and easy to get the jump on someone you spotted camping a house.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents after 250 games played and over 1000 kills (#1 for kill rating atm) - hopefully others feel the same as I do.

Best,

hwinn

Wholeheartedly agreed. Theres no sense in making crouch walking useless as it is now..unless when it rains and thunders all the time ^

• Like 2

F1R3FLYY    2

Agreed, people can hear you coming from a mile off even when you're sneaking, everyone just camps at the top of stairs with shotguns now waiting to hear their next victim

• Like 2

iAmHaze    204

+1 This. You are literally louder crouch walking when compared to running and walking. I even got a kill last game by jumping all the way through the underground bunkers, it's actually the quieter method at the moment.

• Like 2

hwinn    13
1 hour ago, iAmHaze said:

+1 This. You are literally louder crouch walking when compared to running and walking. I even got a kill last game by jumping all the way through the underground bunkers, it's actually the quieter method at the moment.

Lol yeah I was actually jumping through the tunnels today too...quite ridiculous. I'd rather have the old shitty sounds than this new everyone camp in houses meta.

iAmHaze    204
38 minutes ago, hwinn said:

Lol yeah I was actually jumping through the tunnels today too...quite ridiculous. I'd rather have the old shitty sounds than this new everyone camp in houses meta.

Yep, jump2stealth at the moment xD I mean, it's comparable to getting ninja shotgunned on the last patch, but there has to be a happy medium.

PUBG_tooner    30

We still have stealth mechanic - crouch walk (low volume and attenuation range). Don't confuse it with crouch run.

• Like 1

F1R3FLYY    2

The only issue with the sound before was not being able to hear people full on running at you until they were on top of you.

Tell me in all honesty, can you hear your next door neighbors walking around? How about the people at the house at the other end of the road?

Now the game has gotten to a point where it is so much slower now and generally quite boring. The update has done nothing but reduce the level of skill required to play the game, shotguns are pretty much instant hits and you've encouraged people to camp with them from either sound whoring or being to scared to move anywhere else.

Treuce    4

I agree the footsteps is absolutely ridiculous now, totally ruining the game... I'd rather have it how it was with no footsteps compared to this crap!

iAmHaze    204
40 minutes ago, PUBG_tooner said:

We still have stealth mechanic - crouch walk (low volume and attenuation range). Don't confuse it with crouch run.

Yep with the "walk" key pressed, it is a bit quieter for sure, although I feel like it's about where the "jogging" volume was? It may just be me, but I recorded a walking/jogging/sprinting so maybe all of you can judge it. BTW kudos on the kick-ass game man, it's the reason I feel like I have carpal tunnel and a fear of frying pans. Also blue Romanian sedans. :S

Also sorry about the not so sterile test conditions, those damn kids with their AK's and such

hwinn    13
1 hour ago, PUBG_tooner said:

Crouch running is too loud as it is. Crouch walking is pretty much useless because it still makes sound and enemies have clearly heard me coming up stairs like a snail even while I'm trying to be as stealthy as possible. Having louder footsteps in general is a good patch, but on the opposite end of the spectrum - having a mechanic where you make no sound at all increases the skill gap and makes players have to choose when to run/stealth walk depending on the situation. As it is now, sound/loud footsteps is a variable that all players can hear in game, therefore forcing people to camp and lowering the overall skill ceiling.

Dexx    0

+1 Crouch walk should be soundless like walking in cs.

SchwuchtlTV    3

If they dont change it back im done with this game ! 

- first its completely unrealistic to not be able to move stealth ( even crouch walk is loud and stupid to use ), thats a normal strategic element to approch someone 

-second, hearing people now from 20 meters distance is completely unrealistic ( even soldiers in boots can walk death silent, look at Cobra, Police etc. )

-third, it destroys game because you cant approch an enemy with a weaker weapon anymore ( early game ) instead u have to run and hope to find a unpopulated place

-fourth, camping is now sitting still and waiting until player leaves house/ enters house and not moving an inch for minutes !

Congrats ! Frustration level over the hill ! 

ps: even call of duty has stealth, every shooter has stealth, and why ? because its a necessary tool

• Like 3

AintrealTV    64

@PUBG_tooner

Crouch walking (the mode where you move super slow) should be completely silent in any terrain, like walking in Counterstrike. It has always been so satisfying to me, sneaking up on someone in any game and stab them in the back! One of the main reasons this game caught my attention was due to the ability to play stealthy in a huge open world.

Apart from the times where footsteps has been bugged/broken, why do you (Bluehole) insist on having Crouch Walking make sounds? You are currently working on a takedown system, where you walk up to a person who has to be standing still in order to be taken down - so how does it make any sense that there is no movement methods in the game that allows you to sneak up on someone? Unless you change this, one could argue that you are wasting resources on a really cool feature that will never work.

Crouch walking is already so slow, if people choose to use it, reward them. It's not like people will be able to travel around in a city like this and if you are smart enough to close doors behind you, you are still safe from those sneaking around. The sound of a door opening in your building is enough to get you alerted and keep an eye out, we don't need to hear every 3rd footstep of the guy sneaking around at 1km/h.

Tykjen    188
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, PUBG_tooner said:

So are you saying the normal crouch "run" wont be changed? Because the crouch walk is really, really useless.

Edited by Tykjen

Tykjen    188
Posted (edited)

Any camper with a shotgun will hear anyone thats coming, no matter what walking approach they choose. 

The element of surprise is now gone with the update. Except for the ones trying to sneak around...and end up facing a shotgun..

Edited by Tykjen

herpderp    1

Crouch walk is too loud now (shouldnt be silent though), otherwise happy with the new patch sound wise

iAmHaze    204

Just thought I'd add to this again after playing 10 or so games since my reply. The rain/thunder is crazy sounding :o  The rain I get, it's heavy rain, it's loud, perfect. The thunder cracks are far too often IMHO. It's like one every 5 - 10 seconds and yes, there are short storms IRL that have that amount but for a short time. I'm not complaining about it, just thought I'd add my feedback here :)

Interrogate    268

Personally I feel the rain + thunder sounds are way too loud. Can barely keep focused on the game/my own thoughts with the constant drowning loudness. Also hard to hear discord team mates and suppressed shots/foot steps are pretty much dead silent in the rain maps.

Other then that, I'm fine with any changes.

• Like 2

Nomad    720
7 hours ago, SchwuchtlTV said:

If they dont change it back im done with this game ! 

- first its completely unrealistic to not be able to move stealth ( even crouch walk is loud and stupid to use ), thats a normal strategic element to approch someone 

-second, hearing people now from 20 meters distance is completely unrealistic ( even soldiers in boots can walk death silent, look at Cobra, Police etc. )

-third, it destroys game because you cant approch an enemy with a weaker weapon anymore ( early game ) instead u have to run and hope to find a unpopulated place

-fourth, camping is now sitting still and waiting until player leaves house/ enters house and not moving an inch for minutes !

Congrats ! Frustration level over the hill ! 

ps: even call of duty has stealth, every shooter has stealth, and why ? because its a necessary tool

Agree with you completely, the new sound has completely ruined a lot of the game for me now, before it was not enough and now it's just way over the top, they need to get a good balance set for how sound works or I to will most likely be done with the game. 

• Like 1

Vzae    0
Posted (edited)

I agree, the game has completely changed from what it once was. I really hope they fix the crouch walking as i believe it should be silent, all the game is now, is people camping and soundwhoring, they do not even have to peek out a window, they know exactly where you are.

Do not get my wrong, i love this game, i have over 100+ Hours in the last two weeks, if i am not at college or work i am playing. However, this sound update, has actually made me take a break. It is super frustrating to play with this sound update.

Edited by Vzae

Kainan    61
30 minutes ago, Vzae said:

I agree, the game has completely changed from what it once was. I really hope they fix the crouch walking as i believe it should be silent, all the game is now, is people camping and soundwhoring, they do not even have to peek out a window, they know exactly where you are.

Do not get my wrong, i love this game, i have over 100+ Hours in the last two weeks, if i am not at college or work i am playing. However, this sound update, has actually made me take a break. It is super frustrating to play with this sound update.

I agree, and not just this..... the damage and hitbox delay/lag issue has made me stop playing as much

• Like 1

Selgald    6

I dont like the sound update, yes you can hear players moving around in the next town (even when they sneak around).

But weapons sound is horrible, most of the time you cant make out the direction of everything.

hwinn    13
3 hours ago, Vzae said:

Yeah it's getting old dying to sound whores cause you can't outplay or maneuver around them...game was much more fun last week compared to the post-patch